Icelandair - Yea or Nay?

NYNC

This is my reply to Icelandair review site. I hope it is helpful.

This is absolutely the last time I will ever take Icelandair. You make it very difficult to change seats, move into a comfort section from Cabin--$800 I was told!! Your attendants clog the isle for up to an hour hawking "duty free" over-priced regalia. Your stop off in Reykjavik ends up exporting your sick currency (in change) to the rest of the world. You are not just cut rate, you are cut throat! ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

John Hudelson, Asso. Professor

Wine, Recreation and Tourism Program

Central Washington University

Depending on the ticket you buy, changing tickets can get to be expensive (true for any airline). Did you pick Icelandair for its price or or its amenities? I'd bet the former. Be careful of the cheap (and not so cheap) cruise lines - they hawk gold-by-the-inch, bingo games, art auctions, and other methods of trying to make a profit. Was it a surprise the aircraft stopped in Iceland (what was the name of the airline again?), or are you upset that you received change in the local currency? The later has been true in any country I've been to (if they'd even accept dollars). And what does that have to do with the airline?

Methinks you have unrealistic expectations of tourism for the masses. You don't get Champagne on a Budweiser budget

Edited by CantanaLobo

Hi, J.Browning, and welcome to CC!

It's not clear whether these are your details or those of someone else who you think you're replying to (given that the name and the handle don't match).

But if they're your details, then maybe someone in your department who's more focused on Tourism and less on Wine might have been able to offer some advice in advance on these utterly basic air travel points.

This is my reply to Icelandair review site. I hope it is helpful.

This is absolutely the last time I will ever take Icelandair. You make it very difficult to change seats, move into a comfort section from Cabin--$800 I was told!! Your attendants clog the isle for up to an hour hawking "duty free" over-priced regalia. Your stop off in Reykjavik ends up exporting your sick currency (in change) to the rest of the world. You are not just cut rate, you are cut throat! ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

Central Washington University

If you are the John Hudelson, who is an assistant professor of Global Wine Studies at CWU, I am amazed you cannot spell the word "aisle" correctly.

There's not much substance to your rant.

... I am amazed you cannot spell the word "aisle" correctly...
I was more amazed by the ignorance and arrogance displayed by an instructor at a US institution of higher education. Or perhaps I shouldn't be. Classic ugly American: "ends up exporting your sick currency (in change)". Translated: I want my change in US currency in any country I visit. I apologize to any non-US CC members. We're not all like this.

Let's see if we have it all (with some fisking tossed in):

Difficult to change seats: Seat assignments on a full flight can be difficult to move around on any airline.

Move into comfort from Cabin $800: There are going rates for anything including upgrades. This time, the rate is $800. Is there something about the free market you don't like, or is it that you want to upgrade for $1.95?? (BTW...anyone know what is "Cabin"?)

Blocking the aisle for an hour hawking DF: Well, if folks are buying. Plus, there are lavs at both ends of the coach area, so FAs in the aisle shouldn't impair THAT need.

Exporting sick currency: I must assume that you expect vendors to have proper change in USD. How quaint! Quick question...how many vendors in Ellensburg would have change in Euros, let alone accept them?? Finally, to avoid any issues of change, you could use your credit card at KEF and not have any change at all. (Personally, I like the fish on the Icelandic coins).

You make it very difficult to change seats, move into a comfort section from Cabin--$800 I was told!!

But I'll bet you got a great price on your regular economy class ticket. I mean, that's why you booked Icelandair, right? Did you think you could buy the cheapest ticket out there and then magically move up to economy comfort for pennies? ;)

If you are the John Hudelson, who is an assistant professor of Global Wine Studies at CWU, I am amazed you cannot spell the word "aisle" correctly.

Agreed. 1 posting and a bad rant at that.

I fly Icelandair knowing what it is and knowing how to make the best of it. Never really had a bad experience with them.

I'm also surprised to learn from his complaint that this airline sells "over-priced regalia!" According to Wikipedia, "Regalia is Latin plurale tantum for the privileges and the insignia characteristic of a sovereign." This sounds like an endorsement to me; I'd love to pick up some duty free queenly attire on my next flight!

• 2 months later...

We are flying Icelandair in September. Boston to Reykjavik to Copenhagen. We will check bags in Boston. When we arrive in Reykjavik, do we have to pick up our bags and re-check or is that done automatically?

Thanks

We went thru KEF from Europe to BOS and didn't see our bags until BOS. Hope it's the same the other way.

As far as I am aware it does work Europe-bound. We've flown twice with Icelandair from North America and the bags are simply placed onto the next plane in Reykjavik. You don't see them until your final destination. With Keflavik being a smallish modern airport its quite an easy transfer.

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if there are new thoughts on Icelandair. We are looking at them for EWR-AMS for next July. The prices are $500 pp cheaper than any other airline, either nonstop or with a stop. TripAdvisor reviews aren't great, but is that because it's a no-frills airline?

Thoughts?

Just wondering if there are new thoughts on Icelandair. We are looking at them for EWR-AMS for next July. The prices are $500 pp cheaper than any other airline, either nonstop or with a stop. TripAdvisor reviews aren't great, but is that because it's a no-frills airline?

Thoughts?

We took Iceland from Reykjavik to Washington IAD. It was the end of the cruise and we did not care if we were late. The flight was OK. On time and were were in Saga class so it was moderately comfortable.

The issue is connections and what if delays and weather. Since Icelandic has no sharing agreements -- your ticket is only valid with them makes it difficult to reroute you if issues arise. Make sure leave some extra time one or two days just in case if you are catching a cruise.

We took Iceland from Reykjavik to Washington IAD. It was the end of the cruise and we did not care if we were late. The flight was OK. On time and were were in Saga class so it was moderately comfortable.

The issue is connections and what if delays and weather. Since Icelandic has no sharing agreements -- your ticket is only valid with them makes it difficult to reroute you if issues arise. Make sure leave some extra time one or two days just in case if you are catching a cruise.

They have just resumed their partnership with Alaska Air, so you can credit miles to Alaska:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/partners/icelandair.aspx

Thoughts?

Only 1 leg of our 4 Icelandair flights last May was uncomfortable due to well-worn seats with thin padding. In addition to the $$ savings, checking 2 bags free was another plus. I wouldn't put Icelandair in the "no-frills" category- to me those are Ryanair, Allegiant and Spirit- we were provided blankets and pillows. Meals are extra in economy, but then again they cost extra on most US flights too.

That $1000 savings could get you a couple nights in Paris, a luxury Amsterdam hotel, or a downpayment on a future cruise!

Edited by TMLAalum

Only 1 leg of our 4 Icelandair flights last May was uncomfortable due to well-worn seats with thin padding. In addition to the $$ savings, checking 2 bags free was another plus. I wouldn't put Icelandair in the "no-frills" category- to me those are Ryanair, Allegiant and Spirit- we were provided blankets and pillows. Meals are extra in economy, but then again they cost extra on most US flights too.

That $1000 savings could get you a couple nights in Paris, a luxury Amsterdam hotel, or a downpayment on a future cruise!

That's just what we were thinking- maybe even spending an extra day in Iceland. There are three of us so the savings is really significant. Thanks for the reply!

That's just what our plan was, even if we flew United. Can't leave anything to chance!

Thanks for replying.

We are planning to fly Icelandair in 2017 specifically so that we can have another layover in Iceland--it is a fascinating country. Last time we did a Golden Circle + Fontana Wellness day tour and loved it.

On the flight we were in exit row seats and very happy. The food for purchase is enjoyable. You will be given a bottle of water on boarding in Rekyavik.

We are planning to fly Icelandair in 2017 specifically so that we can have another layover in Iceland--it is a fascinating country. Last time we did a Golden Circle + Fontana Wellness day tour and loved it.

On the flight we were in exit row seats and very happy. The food for purchase is enjoyable. You will be given a bottle of water on boarding in Rekyavik.

The more I look at things to do in Reykyavik, the more we are excited about flying there. Did you do economy comfort or just the regular economy ticket?

The more I look at things to do in Reykyavik, the more we are excited about flying there. Did you do economy comfort or just the regular economy ticket?

We did regular economy. As the flights are relatively short it was fine. We were delayed for an hour by weather in Denver but had no trouble making the connection to London Heathrow in Iceland. We did our layover on the return flight and stayed at the Northern Light Inn who do a shuttle to the airport. We did this tour https://www.re.is/day-tours/the-golden-circle-fontana-wellness. RE was the only company who would pick up from the Northern Light Inn.

We've booked our 2016 flight to Copenhagen (from Toronto) for next year's cruise and once again we booked with Icelandair. We have yet to have a problem with the airline. Maybe we are just very lucky.

At best, I would describe the airline as a hybrid low cost carrier. Seats in economy are tight and you do have to pay for any meal and the earphones for the entertainment system. Yet, I found the food decent and there are more than enough choices for entertainment that keeps one happy. Changing planes in Reykjavik is easy as the airport is manageable.

We're doing Saga Class next year - which we had done before. True low cost carriers don't have a business class. I agree with those who say its similar to a domestic first or business class product - just a big seat with a free meal and liquor. Love, love, love the noise cancelling headphones they give for the entertainment system in Saga. Still its reasonably priced and perfect for one way travel.

For what you pay, Icelandair is a good solid product.

As for Iceland. If you never been there before DO take advantage of the stopover. Iceland is one of our favourite destinations.

We've booked our 2016 flight to Copenhagen (from Toronto) for next year's cruise and once again we booked with Icelandair. We have yet to have a problem with the airline. Maybe we are just very lucky.

At best, I would describe the airline as a hybrid low cost carrier. Seats in economy are tight and you do have to pay for any meal and the earphones for the entertainment system. Yet, I found the food decent and there are more than enough choices for entertainment that keeps one happy. Changing planes in Reykjavik is easy as the airport is manageable.

We're doing Saga Class next year - which we had done before. True low cost carriers don't have a business class. I agree with those who say its similar to a domestic first or business class product - just a big seat with a free meal and liquor. Love, love, love the noise cancelling headphones they give for the entertainment system in Saga. Still its reasonably priced and perfect for one way travel.

For what you pay, Icelandair is a good solid product.

As for Iceland. If you never been there before DO take advantage of the stopover. Iceland is one of our favourite destinations.

We did regular economy. As the flights are relatively short it was fine. We were delayed for an hour by weather in Denver but had no trouble making the connection to London Heathrow in Iceland. We did our layover on the return flight and stayed at the Northern Light Inn who do a shuttle to the airport. We did this tour https://www.re.is/day-tours/the-golden-circle-fontana-wellness. RE was the only company who would pick up from the Northern Light Inn.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it. We are considering the stopover before the cruise, although that's not definite. I'm thinking economy comfort might be a good compromise between the two other classes as well.