One way rome, italy to jfk? Good fare?

Dave4120

Hello...We just came back from our first European Cruise and took advantage of a sensational fare on Delta, plus a very low cost upgrade to Delta One/Business Elite Class.

We have now book another cruise for next Spring, however, we will not be flying roundtrip from one location as it is a re-positioning cruise.

We fly from Syracuse, NY to Fort Lauderdale, then, on the way home, we will fly from Rome, Italy back to Syracuse, with a layover at JFK.

I've seen one way fares now posted for our return date of May, 16th, 2016, and, there are a couple of non-stops from Rome to JFK. One with American, and one with Atailia, or something like that. Sorry for the spelling.

The pricing for the non-stop at the moment is $686.00 each. That seems like a good price to this very inexperienced flyer. Can anyone help me out and tell me if that is a good price or not?

If so, should I take advantage of it now, or, maybe wait like I did with our last flights until the 6 to 7 month out mark? When I waited this past time, the prices were there lowest at the 6 to 7 month out period.

Any advice you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank-you very much.

Dave

Hello...We just came back from our first European Cruise and took advantage of a sensational fare on Delta, plus a very low cost upgrade to Delta One/Business Elite Class.

We have now book another cruise for next Spring, however, we will not be flying roundtrip from one location as it is a re-positioning cruise.

We fly from Syracuse, NY to Fort Lauderdale, then, on the way home, we will fly from Rome, Italy back to Syracuse, with a layover at JFK.

I've seen one way fares now posted for our return date of May, 16th, 2016, and, there are a couple of non-stops from Rome to JFK. One with American, and one with Atailia, or something like that. Sorry for the spelling.

The pricing for the non-stop at the moment is $686.00 each. That seems like a good price to this very inexperienced flyer. Can anyone help me out and tell me if that is a good price or not?

If so, should I take advantage of it now, or, maybe wait like I did with our last flights until the 6 to 7 month out mark? When I waited this past time, the prices were there lowest at the 6 to 7 month out period.

Any advice you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank-you very much.

Dave

That fare sounds pretty fair to me. I don't think the price will go down. You can risk it, but be prepared to spend more.

(Also, the airline is "Alitalia", and isn't very good)

That fare sounds pretty fair to me. I don't think the price will go down. You can risk it, but be prepared to spend more.

(Also, the airline is "Alitalia", and isn't very good)

The price seems fair to me, also. Only you can decide if you want to set a lower price point and hope that it comes around.

I just flew Alitalia round trip JFK-FCO end of April/beginning of May. It was actually two of the best flights I've ever had. In their business class, Magnifica. Totally flat-lie seat/beds. Definitely the best food I've ever had on a flight, and very good wine selection. (I've never flown TPAC on an Asia carrier, so only comparing with other airlines on TATL flights)

Worst flight TATL was on American. The D*Mn "entertainment" box under the seat in front of me literally left me with room for either my personal item or one of my feet, nothing else. It was a painful flight with very surly FAs (one yelled at me because I went to the back and disrupted their chat time to ask for a glass of water)...

Thank you both for the helpful information.

If the price I mentioned sounds fair to you experienced flyers, that's good for me. I'm not going to worry about the price dropping another hundred dollars or so, when it can go up higher.

Since our Delta flight last month was so nice, I was wondering if only the two airlines I listed will have these low fares, or, will other airlines like Delta possibly match, or come close to these fairs as time goes on?

We would love to fly on Delta again but not at $4,000 one way.

Price seems good, especially for a TATL one-way, which are often quite more than a round-trip.

Though not a TATL flight, flew Alitalia (AZ) on two intra-Europe flights earlier this month on their A321. Good service, on-time performance and no issues. Of course, YMMV but there's another data point.

Also for consideration....if you fly AZ, you can get miles in your DL FF account. Flying AA, you would accrue to their program. Your choice.

May 16th is Whitsun Monday, a public holiday in most of Europe.

Please realise that most countries in Europe have a long 2 week school holiday exactly at this time. The spring vacation is, depending on the country, either from Ascension Day to Whitsun (5 May to 16 May), or Whitsun to Corpus Christi (14 May to 29 May).

It is a popular time for travel in Europe, either for a longer holiday with the whole family or a long weekend romantic city break. Where will they all be flocking? Right....the Med, Rome, New York, Florida or other beach or city destinations....

Do not expect flight prices to come down, on the contrary! And if you need a post-cruise hotel, start looking and booking now, since there will not be a hotel room left in Rome from 14 to 16 May if you leave it until into the new year.

YIKES....Thanks for the insight. We had no idea. We have booked our hotel for 3 nights post cruise, so that's set.

Just have to book the air which doesn't look that great from Rome, back to JFK

We flew Alitalia from Rome to Miami at the beginning of June. I was dreading the 10 1/2 hour flight after reading the reviews and the jokes about the Pope kissing the ground every time he gets off an Alitalia flight.

I had the same experience as slider girl - the best flight I have been on; certainly the best in many years. We left on time, the food and wine were good and the service second to none. The crew were friendly and helpful. The plane was very clean. We were in economy plus. Oh...and they didn't loose our lugguge as is their reputation.

The price seems decent however if I may, I would suggest that you check the luggage allowance for that class to ensure that you are getting the best value. In their equivalent of economy plus they allow 2 fifty pound bags as complimentary.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cancun01

When I check ITA Matrix and Google flights, the price you got is fairly competative. I cannot find the rate you are quoting on Aitalia anywhere, are you SURE this a publicized airline rate, or was it offered to you by a consolidator, or is it something cruise air is offering? When so, please read the terms and conditions carefully!!! The only publized Aitalia rate I can find is $ 1650 pp.

You could consider Turkish Airlines, with a (more than ample) connection in Istanbul. On their own site, I find a promotional rate of $ 413.39 pp, which of course is absolutely non-changeable and non-refundable. You can also get a semi-flexible (change at a fee, deductable refund) for $ 535.50.

Edited by UKBayern
typo

Hello Everyone...thanks for all of the helpful information. The low Alitalia fare is indeed on "Choice Air", however, we hardly ever fly and not having that much experience with Choice Air, I am some what concerned, and, nervous about using them.

Not sure if we want to fly Turkish to Turkey, then back to JFK. I know I cannot be fussy over this. I'm just hoping someone like Delta might lower their fare because we were very pleased with them last month to Barcelona and back.

I also saw that Air Lingus has a fare in the six hundreds.

Not sure if we want to fly Turkish to Turkey, then back to JFK.

Why? We flew Turkish home from Europe last summer (ZRH-IST-YYZ-YQB) using our Aeroplan points, in Business, and have decided that it is my first choice when looking at miles redemptions. Of course, being in biz class helped, especially with the now-legendary IST business lounge...

I know I cannot be fussy over this.

Sure you can be fussy. You just can't be fussy AND cheap :D. Recognize that fussy costs, and determine how much it's actually worth it to you.

I'm just hoping someone like Delta might lower their fare because we were very pleased with them last month to Barcelona and back.

With a few exceptions, one-way fares across the Atlantic are expensive - often more than the cheapest round-trip tickets, as the cheapest fares aren't available for people only purchasing a one-way fare. So don't expect Delta to go down much, if any.

I've also been quite happy the times I've flown with Delta, but they're certainly not so extraordinary that it's worth a price premium to fly with them, unless you really want to consolidate your air miles in a single account.

I also saw that Air Lingus has a fare in the six hundreds.

While I've heard good things about Aer Lingus, I wouldn't pay $200 more to fly them over Turkish

All of your above information makes a lot of sense. Since out flight last month was the first time we have flown in over 20 years, I obviously don't have to worry about air miles.

We haven't flown much because most of the previous cruises we've done each year, have allowed us to get to the port by car, bus or train from our home city.

I should probably jump on the $404 Turkish Air flight price from Rome to JFK, then, see how much additional it might be to move up to their business class. That's what we did with Delta last month and it was obviously wonderful

I would highly doubt that you would be able to upgrade from a $400 ticket into business for anything but a hefty chunk of change. But, it all depends on the specifics of the rules of the ticket and any upgrade process.

Your TATL upgrade opportunity on DL was a rare bird....usually the only upgrades are from higher buckets and even those rarely show up. You should consider yourself fortunate and don't use that one data point to provide future expectations, especially since it was your only flight in 20 years.

Take the Turkish flight. Personally, I would book via IST and have a long connection to allow for a visit to the city. Looking at the TK site, I find that you can leave FCO at 10:55, arrive IST at 14:30. You could spend the afternoon and evening in IST, then fly out at 07:25 the next morning. 419 Euros.

Or, in my mind as a better option, leave FCO at 15:20 arrive IST at 18:50. Stay overnight and don't leave IST until 18:20 the next day for a good solid amount of time to see things in the city. 369 Euros. (This one requires that you book at "multi-city" with FCO-IST and IST-JFK) This is a great example of using the 24 hour connection rule for international itineraries - you get the through fare but have a virtual "stopover" with no higher pricing.

Tons of lodging in IST, from boutique hotels to 6-star luxury brands, to local tourist digs.

If you don't want to stay overnight, you may still be able to take advantage of the free tours for connecting passengers at IST.

Could not agree more. Do the virtual stopover in Istanbul. It is a wonderful city.

Think of it this way, you essentially get to visit a uniquely different city that you might not otherwise see, for free.

We very much like Turkish Airlines and would select it over a Delta, United, AA, etc in a heatbeat. For both domestic/European and overseas flights.

Take the Turkish flight. Personally, I would book via IST and have a long connection to allow for a visit to the city. Looking at the TK site, I find that you can leave FCO at 10:55, arrive IST at 14:30. You could spend the afternoon and evening in IST, then fly out at 07:25 the next morning. 419 Euros.

If you don't want to stay overnight, you may still be able to take advantage of the free tours for connecting passengers at IST.

That was what I was thinking too. Turkish has multiple flights per day from FCO and to JFK. Istanbul is not to be missed.

Could not agree more. Do the virtual stopover in Istanbul. It is a wonderful city.

Think of it this way, you essentially get to visit a uniquely different city that you might not otherwise see, for free.

We very much like Turkish Airlines and would select it over a Delta, United, AA, etc in a heatbeat. For both domestic/European and overseas flights.

Definitely agree about Turkish Air being superior to US airlines. The problem with one day in Istanbul is that you will quickly see it is not nearly enough time in that fascinating city.

I know. But something is better than nothing. We have been there three times and still have not seen everything. A day will give you an indication if you want to come back at some point and spend more time. Turkey is one of our favourite destinations so we are a little biased.

Aeroplan (Air Canada) only charges 45,000 miles for O/W business class Europe-U.S. (via IST of course). We transferred our AMEX points into Aeroplan to fly SFO-IST-BCN in biz class on Turkish. Taxes/fees were only $33 per ticket.

Just another example of a way to fly up front without paying the big bucks....

Edited by BEAV

We have also found variances in Turkish Air pricing depending on the site. Not certain if this is still true.

Four years ago we priced 3 domestic flights in Turkey on Expedia. The price was just over $600. We then went to a Turkish site, attached to Turkish Airlines discount brand (they often use the exact same flights). Got the name from Tripadvisor. The cost of the three flights was about $225. Prices and flights checked within 10 minutes of each other.

Two years ago we flew Turkish from Cape Town, South Africa to Rome. Cannot remember what site we booked on, think it was Turkish Airlines, but we noticed pricing differences on the flight depending on what website we checked.

Edited by iancal

We then went to a Turkish site, attached to Turkish Airlines discount brand (they often use the exact same flights).

Same flight=not same fare rules. You are talking about consolidators.

Oddly enough the prices on the Turkish Airline site, and their discount carrier Anadolu( sp?) were less than any of the third part sites that I checked. Most especially for the domestic flights. We also used Atlas and I think Pegasus once or twice. They were all good.

Don't know about the ticket fare class. We were on a six month trip and not really bothered with any delays. Fortunately we did not have any.

Through Celebrity Choice Air my JFK to Milan fare is $319 one way for my upcoming TA. I saved big bucks over flying to Rome. Of course I am going in quite a few days earlier than the usual person does but it's always worth checking out Milan. It's the cheapest fare of any European destination to and from the NYC area.