ATM types in Italy.

jamona2311

"Swipe" type? As in the card isn't held by the machine for the duration of the transaction? Haven't seen those anywhere in Europe, in our 20 or so transactions in the last 5 years., most particularly in Venice and Rome on our trip in June.

The common advice is to use a machine in a secure area, like physically in a bank. Haven't had a problem with this in our travels.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We travel internationally with two debit cards. Our primary card charges no currency conversion fees; our second one does but is used only for backup if the first one is eaten or doesn't work.

Using only bank owned ATMs is a good idea as you know who to contact if your card is not returned.

Be sure to notify your financial institution of your travel plans.

Lew

We have never had a card "eaten" in Europe despite using ATMs on over a dozen countries hundreds of times over many years. We did once have a card eaten in Puerto Vallarta (where we live in the winter) when there was a power failure just as we put our card into an ATM (it was at a bank...and they retrieved the card within an hour).

One note of caution is that if your card is rejected by an ATM do not re-insert it into that same machine. Do that one time too many and it will eat your card. In Europe, when our card does not work in an ATM we simply move along and find another ATM (they are all over the place in Europe).

Hank

I don't recall seeing any "swipe" ATMs in my travels in Europe.

Like Hank, I've never had a card eaten, but since I travel solo quite often, I usually have a back-up. I have one account through Capital One set up solely for travel and not linked to any other accounts. As my back-up, I take the debit card for my regular account to be used in case of emergency (lost or stolen card).

As others have said, it's best to use an ATM associated with a bank. Often in European cities you'll find the bank branch has a little vestibule area where the ATM is located. I find this safer than taking out money in full view of others on the street.

I did have a card eaten once, in London of all places, because I did not take it out soon enough after it gave me money. Even though it was outside of an actual bank, I could not get my card returned.

Needless to say, I stay on top of the ATM directions now and do not talk to anyone (like my sister!) while in the midst of a transaction.

Edited by CintiPam

I did have a card eaten once, in London of all places, because I did not take it out soon enough after it gave me money. Even though it was outside of an actual bank, I could not get my card returned.

Needless to say, I stay on top of the ATM directions now and do not talk to anyone (like my sister!) while in the midst of a transaction.

ROFL :). Never heard of anyone losing their card with a "delayed eat" so we find that story really enlightening (we will make sure to grab our card quickly). But I would add that because we do so much travel outside the USA, DW and I have 3 different ATM cares (drawn on 3 different accounts at different banks)...and 2 of those cards have no fees. One can never be too careful when doing long DIY land trips. And the multiple cards also allow us to get around daily withdrawal limits (sometimes as low as 200 Euros).

Hank

Many years ago we had a card 'eaten' at Euro Disney because DH ignored the beeping to retrieve it as he was trying to count his cash. Luckily we were there for the day and they sent out a technician to retrieve it.

As far as I have noticed all bank machines have this feature.

Sometimes in foreign banks our transaction is refused. They never give a proper reason, but it is often that you have requested too much money. All ATMs have a limit. So it is safe to put in the card one more time and this time ask for less. Doing homework ahead of time (Trip Advisor) to find out the usual maximum withdrawal amount is useful.

Be sure to notify your bank before you travel so that there are no problems at the ATMs. Also I prefer, if possible, to use an ATM at a bank while it is open. They may be able to return the card to me immediately if it is eaten. Mind you, it hasn't happened! We did have one time when the system was down and we couldn't get cash from any machine until later in the day. A pain. We try never to wait until the last minute.

And in at least one country, our foreign cards would not work. Several of us tried in Incheon, Korea without any luck. Someone had to go to a bureau de change instead. All in all, though, the ATMs worked well.

Just a little concerned about an ATM machine eating my card..... Unless they are mostly the swipe kind?

What have you're experiences been with this? Especially in Venice Florence n Rome.

Thanks, gena

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never had a problem with an ATM keeping our card.

• 3 weeks later...

We just recently came back from Italy and did experience trouble with our card but the machine did not eat it. Lesson we learned. Take 3 cards and make sure the card has an out of country number to call in case of problems. Our card only had an 800 number on it which is no good in Europe. You need cash for most things in Italy. A credit card is not accepted everywhere.

I have never seen a "swipe" ATM in Europe or the US for that matter.

I must lead a sheltered life.

I wonder if the OP means the type of ATM where you do the quick insert/remove deal, which doesn't involve losing touch with the card. Kind of like at the gas station. I've run into a few of those types in the US (including one at my local Credit Union). But, I can't remember using any like this in Europe/Middle East/Africa.

We just recently came back from Italy and did experience trouble with our card but the machine did not eat it. Lesson we learned. Take 3 cards and make sure the card has an out of country number to call in case of problems. Our card only had an 800 number on it which is no good in Europe. You need cash for most things in Italy. A credit card is not accepted everywhere.

Call the bank or credit union ahead of time and they will give you a regular number to call instead of the toll-free number. Often it is a "call collect" number so that you don't rack up any phone charges.

You do not need cash for most purchases in Italy. Credit cards are very widely accepted.

Actually you need cash for very few things in Italy

The metro machines require cash

Someone posted tolls and other stuff that make little difference to the 3 day 2 night pre cruiser anyway

If we didn't prepay from home we just used credit cards everywhere

Museum admissions

Restaurants

Stores

We don't buy junk on the street but if we do buy a scarf or something small like a soda on the street cash of course

Credit cards are king.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums