Has anyone done the Antarctica cruise?

gardn198

Thinking of surprising my dad for his 65th birthday and taking him on the 14 day Antarctica cruise from Buenos Aires, we'd be hitting our 7th continent together! I can't believe it's only $3,000pp for 14 days. Most Antarctica trips I've seen have been upwards of $5k and that was in non-luxury settings.

Do you actually get to get off the ship at Elephant Island and touch land?

My understanding is that on Celebrity's Antartica voyages you do NOT touch land, but it is just "scenic cruising" during the Antartica portion of the itinerary. Personally if I was doing an Antartica cruise I would likely choose a smaller vessel where you do make landfall rather than opt for Celebrity.

My understanding is that on Celebrity's Antartica voyages you do NOT touch land, but it is just "scenic cruising" during the Antartica portion of the itinerary. Personally if I was doing an Antartica cruise I would likely choose a smaller vessel where you do make landfall rather than opt for Celebrity.

Bummer! I knew it sounded too good to be true

Thinking of surprising my dad for his 65th birthday and taking him on the 14 day Antarctica cruise from Buenos Aires, we'd be hitting our 7th continent together! I can't believe it's only $3,000pp for 14 days. Most Antarctica trips I've seen have been upwards of $5k and that was in non-luxury settings.

No, you don't get off. Three good wildlife opportunities - Ushuaia, Falklands, and Puerto Madryn. Lots of penguins, Skua, Albatross, whales, glaciers, bergs... But you do not go ashore on Antarctica or Elephant Island...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this cruise last month and no you don't get off but the icebergs are amazing and you get darn close. As GottaKnowWhen said with stops at Falklands, Ushuaia & Puerto Madryn lots of opportunities to see wildlife at these ports and while cruising.

I'm so glad I got to do landings on the Antarctic peninsula in 1999 and again in 2000, on Orient Lines' Marco Polo.

In one word: AWESOME!!!

In another word: EXPENSIVE!!!!

My mother, who was 78 at the time, made ALL of the landings. She was such a trooper (RIP, Mom....)

I think that there are still a few ships making the journey to continent #7.

Yes...and it is one of our top cruises!!...we were on Infinity in '14...it is a "drive-by" but as mentioned we saw lots and lots of wildlife and icebergs!!...the shore excursion with Patrick Watson in the Falklands to Volunteer Point we consider one of our all time favorite experiences...3 different types of penguins in one setting. If your Dad wants to touch land there...then I'm afraid your only choices are much more expensive cruises..either way do plan on experiencing this wonderful place! LuAnn

Hi

We did an Antarctica cruise on Hurtigruten. We did get to land on Antarctica mainland and islands, using zodiac boats. In order to land on Antarctica, ship must be under 500 pax, crew included.

Tom:)

No, you don't get off. Three good wildlife opportunities - Ushuaia, Falklands, and Puerto Madryn. Lots of penguins, Skua, Albatross, whales, glaciers, bergs... But you do not go ashore on Antarctica or Elephant Island...Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks OP for asking: every year, I keep looking at this cruise as well and keep scratching it off the list because so many people say to hold out for a smaller expedition type ship.

But opinions from those who went: when you say lots of wildlife - can you get up close on land for those or are they mostly drive by experiences too? Is it that you just don't land in Antarctica proper or don't get to see wildlife up close anywhere but from the ship?

Not to distract from OP's thread or questions, but if someone didn't care too much about touching antarctica but wanted LOTS of wildlife interaction, should this cruise still be considered?

Just our opinion from someone who has done both a Round the Horn cruise that include the Falklands, Ushuaia and Puerto Madryn and the Horn, and a true Antarctic expedition, there is absolutely no comparison in any way.

Yes, the excursion will be more expensive--but honestly, looking at some of the prices of =X= drive by sailings, not that much (can you say $12,500 for AQ?)

Nothing can compare to doing landings all over the Antarctic Peninsula (we did 12 in 6 days, including a landing on an iceberg in the Straights, encountering a Gentoo with his first human contact).

Shop around. Compare. I would gladly forgo a cruise in the Caribbean (actually 10 cruises in the Caribbean) to do an Antarctic expedition.

Thanks OP for asking: every year, I keep looking at this cruise as well and keep scratching it off the list because so many people say to hold out for a smaller expedition type ship.

But opinions from those who went: when you say lots of wildlife - can you get up close on land for those or are they mostly drive by experiences too? Is it that you just don't land in Antarctica proper or don't get to see wildlife up close anywhere but from the ship?

Not to distract from OP's thread or questions, but if someone didn't care too much about touching antarctica but wanted LOTS of wildlife interaction, should this cruise still be considered?

Have you done Galapagos? Celebrity does that very well and it is significantly less expensive than Antarctica, but tons of interaction with wildlife.

Falklands, Volunteer Point trip with Estancia Tours.

p836254288-3.jpg

Have you done Galapagos? Celebrity does that very well and it is significantly less expensive than Antarctica, but tons of interaction with wildlife.

I'll look into that...thanks for the suggestion. I actually love the idea of doing a cold weather trip - I'm in heat and humidity 365 days a year (or at least it feels that way.) So ski trips, Alaska and this actually are always more appealing to me as a vacation. :D Plus flying to Buenos Aires is just a couple of hours longer than flying to Alaska for us.

But I do like the "significantly less expensive" part, so will definitely check into it.

Amazing pic - how long was the drive to get there from the ship?

The drive was about 3 hours each way if I recall correctly, about 45 minutes on pavement, the rest cross country on gravel roads and across the bogs. Well worth it.

In Usuhia the drive was a bit shorter, more civilized, followed by a 20 minute boat ride to the island where the rookery is. No more than 20 persons or so allowed on the island at a time, we had an hour there...

These are Volunteer Point:

p1665992320-3.jpg

p805617384-3.jpg

Amazing pic - how long was the drive to get there from the ship?

And from Ushia "Walk With the Penguins" tour through Pira Tours:

p590235446-3.jpg

p603008095-4.jpg

Oh, and a couple from Punto Tombo, one of the tour destinations from Puerto Madrid. Another long drive, but this time in a Celebrity tour bus:

p1198899497-3.jpg

p636977538-3.jpg

p1198863407-4.jpg

You will NOT be "Hitting" your 7th Continent...but will likely get a view (from a distance) from the deck of your ship. If you want to actually set foot on that 7th Continent, you need to book your ship on a much smaller vessel cleared to actually land their passengers (usually by Zodiacs) on land. There are some lines like the Hurtigruten and Ponent that still do these trips.

Hank

We are doing a HAL drive by Antarctica cruise in January. I am sure that the expedition cruises are better; but my wife can't do zodiacs and I am perfectly content just being able to see the majesty of the area. Plus, it isn't worth the significant cost difference to me either. When reading reviews from people who have done the drive by's on various lines, they all rave about how amazing it is and how much they loved it. I have been looking at videos and photos other have taken ever since we booked it. We are so excited to finally see it in person.

I booked it for February of 2018 and can't wait

I really don't have thedesire to hike on the Tundra of Antarctica off of a zodiac boat

6 of my friends that did it (Celebrity Antarctica cruise) said it was the high point of their cruising experience, so I can't wait

I'll never spend 20K to go a small boat tour of Antarctica, so this is a happy solid solution to grab the bragging rights and scenery. and still be comfortable

The drive was about 3 hours each way if I recall correctly, about 45 minutes on pavement, the rest cross country on gravel roads and across the bogs. Well worth it.

In Usuhia the drive was a bit shorter, more civilized, followed by a 20 minute boat ride to the island where the rookery is. No more than 20 persons or so allowed on the island at a time, we had an hour there...

These are Volunteer Point:

p1665992320-3.jpg

p805617384-3.jpg

That drive sounds grueling - 3 hours with 2/3 over rough terrain. But these pics are definitely my version of a bucket list vacation experience - I'd rather see this than all the monuments and museums of the world. Thanks for sharing...breathtaking. What an amazing sight it must have been.

I can understand if you have mobility challenges...the expedition sailings would not be for you.

I don't understand the "bucket list" or bragging rights approach. Are you traveling for the experience or just to check off another location off your list?

Here is what I mean about shopping around. You can sail Hurtigruten in January, 2019, in an outside cabin, including hotel stay in Buenos Aires, transfers, air to Ushuaia, and 12 days on the continent, air back to BA, for a shade over $14,000. Not much more than a drive-by in a balcony and miles from the price of a drive-by even in a minor (Sky) suite.

Having done both I cannot emphasize, if you are able, to do the real thing. Leaving for our 70th cruise tomorrow and nothing has--or likely ever will--come close to the Antarctic experience.

We are doing a Volunteer Point excursion in January. It is supposed to take 2 hours each way. An hour of it is on normal roads to get to the farm. The off road part is 12 miles. Although it is long way, it is supposed to be better than what you recalled. But it will be worth it to me.

You can sail Hurtigruten in January, 2019, in an outside cabin, including hotel stay in Buenos Aires, transfers, air to Ushuaia, and 12 days on the continent, air back to BA, for a shade over $14,000. Not much more than a drive-by in a balcony and miles from the price of a drive-by even in a minor (Sky) suite.

Is that 14k for 2 or per person? Are the excursions you did mostly long drives away or closer to where you sail?

For someone with no mobility issues (at the moment anyway!) who doesn't mind climbing, hiking, other active stuff etc, but goes stir crazy on really long drives (like the 6 hour RT mentioned earlier), would the expedition trip be a better choice?

Is that 14k for 2 or per person? Are the excursions you did mostly long drives away or closer to where you sail?

For someone with no mobility issues (at the moment anyway!) who doesn't mind climbing, hiking, other active stuff etc, but goes stir crazy on really long drives (like the 6 hour RT mentioned earlier), would the expedition trip be a better choice?

I can assure you that $14K is per person. When I was looking at excursion cruises, I was seeing prices from $15,000 to $45,000 per person. That $14K for what is included is quite a good deal from what I had previously seen, if you want that type cruise.

I can assure you that $14K is per person. When I was looking at excursion cruises, I was seeing prices from $15,000 to $45,000 per person. That $14K for what is included is quite a good deal from what I had previously seen, if you want that type cruise.

I, on the other hand, can assure you that is NOT per person, but is total.

From Hurtigruten's site:

ADVENTURE TO ANTARCTICA - HIGHLIGHTS OF THE FROZEN CONTINENT

Duration: 12 Days

• 2 Adults

Departure

January 3, 2019 18:00

Arrival

January 14, 2019 07:00

CABINS $14,336

1 Polar Outside$14,336

Middle deck - Select

Like every cruise, you need to shop around.

If you think that is something, when we sailed Antarctica (albeit 4 years ago) we were on the

brand new (4 month old) Ponant L'Austral.

Booked balcony cabin. Upgraded to suite. Extraordinary food, cabaret entertainment nightly,

drinks included. 200 pax. Truly a luxury ship as opposed to a premium line.

It is much more expensive now, (Antarctica has become trendy) but total, for 2? Under $9000.