Movies Available in Stateroom?

KensingtonMoon

Hello Celebrities,

I am heading out on my first cruise with Celebrity next month and have been very grateful for all the excellent and useful information found on this Celebrity Forum.

Can someone please let me know how recently released the movies are that you can access from your Stateroom? We will be on the Solstice. I have a grown teenager who requires reassurance that there will be something more recent than "Gone With the Wind" to watch. (I actually wouldn't mind watching a re-run of Scarlett, but the teens must be kept happy!).

Are the movies pay as you go like a hotel, or are they included in your cruise costs?

Thanks for your information in advance.

Hello Celebrities,

I am heading out on my first cruise with Celebrity next month and have been very grateful for all the excellent and useful information found on this Celebrity Forum.

Can someone please let me know how recently released the movies are that you can access from your Stateroom? We will be on the Solstice. I have a grown teenager who requires reassurance that there will be something more recent than "Gone With the Wind" to watch. (I actually wouldn't mind watching a re-run of Scarlett, but the teens must be kept happy!).

Are the movies pay as you go like a hotel, or are they included in your cruise costs?

Hi, there's a huge selection of movies to choose from, & they are included, there's also fee based, but I've never even browsed those. You can start a movie, & stop it, & then catch up with it later, very nice.

The movies are pretty up to date, kind of like when you fly on a long haul flight, movies that are only a few months after their theatre release.

If you are sailing in December, there will also be a selection of holiday theme type movies, kind of a nice touch.

When I sailed this past January, they were showing movies that had just been recently released on video. I remember watching "Elysium" on board, as an example. I know it was released on video a week before Christmas. :)

So what they show is relatively recent and they have a lot of good movies to choose from, too.

We just returned from the Millennium. There where only 4-6 movies for free every day, but they changed every day. There where many more movies available but those where not free. But none as old as gone with the wind... I remember Mandela the movie was free...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My observation is the S class ships have a different movies system than the M class ships.

The M class I don't recall any on-demand free movies, but here was a channel that listed a schedule so you knew what time it would show a circle of 3 or 4 per day that changed daily. They were a mix of relatively current and older ones. here was also a system for on-demand all for fee movies and tv shows to choose from.

S class ships, have a far greater selection of "on demand" moves, some of which are free, others at cost. More of these were more current. I think they even had a category "in theaters now" to choose from.

Looks like you are on Solstice, so you should have a good selection as it's an S class ship.

Edited by cle-guy

Yes, M class has a significantly reduced movie viewing option. You cannot watch movies on demand, the number of movies is considerably fewer, and if memory serves (it has been two years since I sailed M class) the age of the movies tends to be older. I would have thought by now that they could have upgraded the process and selection to be in sync with S class, which we really enjoy. Many of us who take a cruise primarily to relax enjoy a few hours lounging in the stateroom watching a nice movie, a special treat for someone whose everyday life rarely allows for such luxuries. To each their own and it is nice when there is something for everyone, but I personally vastly prefer that to sitting out on a lounge chair in the sun covered with greasy sun tan lotion in an area that is anything but relaxing.

One weird thing about the free movies...to find them you have to click on the For Fee or Pay Movies or whatever the option is. Then it listed the Free For Fee movies and the Pay for Movies and you select the first option and scroll through the titles. I found this totally by accident as I never had any intention of paying to watch a movie on a cruise but was killing some time and thought I'd just see what movies they were offering for a fee. That's when I found the free movies were listed there too.

Hello Celebrities,

Just got off Reflection. For state room movies, you'll have to select "on demand" and free. Some of the free offerings were Draft Day, Maleficent, and Divergent. There is a whole other pay section but they cost $12.95. Tell your teen to go for a walk around deck. Lol

Since I started sailing on Solstice-class ships in 2008, there has always been a great selection of no-charge on-demand movies available in your cabin. If memory serves me correctly, there used to be about 22-24 free movies available on-demand.

We were on the Silhouette on October 4-18, 2014, and there were only 9 movies available on-demand for free, and although they were fairly recent, I wasn't interested in many of them, so was a bit disappointed. Most of the movies that are shown in the Cinema are included in that group of 9 on-demand movies. I never checked to see the number or quality of the for-pay on-demand movies. The charge was $12.95 per movies. If there were adult movies, or an upcharge for them, I never noticed.

There was also a movie channel that had 3-4 movies per day that cycled through, but these were not on-demand programming. These movies were reasonably recent. There were also two channels that had TV shows cycling through, with a reasonable amount of repetition. There were shows such as The Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, etc. I spend the best part of two days in bed, with a bad back, so got to see more than my fair share of programming. I felt that the quality of the TV and Movie programming available had dropped from a 9 to a 7.5, over what was available on my Solstice cruise in May.

Lots of news channels available.

I also found that the movies were not as upto date and there weren't as many as previously. Older films were getting charged for as well, when previously these were free. We never usually watch more than a couple anyway, only if there's a show we don't fancy or we are tired after a long days tour but I did like to have the selection and choice available. :)

M class does have a different system of course but I found it to be fine :)

Shoot, one thing we were looking forward to is the On Demand movies that we had enjoyed previously on the Eclipse and Equinox. There was a good variety. It sounds like they have downgraded the number of films. And charging $12.95 for a for-fee movie is ridiculous.

Last month, we got some decent and new(ish)-release flicks on the regular channels. We had Captain Philips, Despicable Me, and whatever the sequel to Hunger Games was. O Brother Where Art Thou? was in the rotation, too.

We don't do PPV, so I can't help anyone with that information.

We just returned from the Millennium. There where only 4-6 movies for free every day, but they changed every day. There where many more movies available but those where not free. But none as old as gone with the wind... I remember Mandela the movie was free...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Thanks for that. In light of what people experienced weatherwise on the TAs this month they probably feel a movie with the title "Gone with the Wind" is inappropriate viewing :D