Is there a shopping area in Belize

Riley's Mom

That is safe for cruise passengers?

I know this is a tender port, I am wondering is there

Is a shopping area that the tender ships take you to

Directly from the ship?

Or do you have to venture into town for shopping?

It's not a lot, but worth a trip over. I wouldn't go beyond the gates though. There's a couple bars there you can have a drink also.

+1 unless you have an excursion. We did the Altun Ha tour which was nice. If we ever make the stop again, we likely won't get off.

Yes, there is a shopping area at the port with jewelry, "trinket" souvenir shops, and even a pharmacy within the port gates. I second the recommendation to go with an excursion. We shopped a bit, had some drinks, and hopped on our excursion's boat right at the port. It was fantastic!

Lots of shopping in the port with a razor wire fence around it. Also do not take a cab with the drivers name as Samuel.......Enjoy your cruise

Is this based on experience? Are all the drivers named Samuel? Obviously if someone took a ride with Samuel and didn't return, they wouldn't have made it back to talk about it.

Samuel took us to a beach (thought we were going to a beach) and by the time we got to it it was a pond he said he would be back at 2 to pick us up and never showed. Then we paid more money to another cab driver to get us back to the ship. Police was involved when we got back because my friend was beyond mad. Think if my friend had found Samuel she would have hurt him.lol Its sad that one person can ruin your trip to their country.

There is plenty of shopping inside the port where the boats tender. There is also some shopping just outside the fenced area for cruisers. Our tour dropped us off just outside. We found the vendors (especially the hair braid women) to be be very aggressive and quickly made our way within the fences.

There is a man that has a booth right before you get to the exit at the fence who has some very lovely wooden carvings. I bought a hummingbird that comes apart for taking in a suitcase. He had some huge fish ones, too that other people were buying. He explained that he goes into the schools and teaches the kids to carve. His pieces were very reasonably priced.

That is safe for cruise passengers?

I know this is a tender port' date=' I am wondering is there

Is a shopping area that the tender ships take you to

Directly from the ship?

Or do you have to venture into town for shopping?[/quote']

Probably my least favorite port. Glad I went there but I don't need to do a repeat visit.

The tender was the highlight of the visit. Interesting traveling 5 or so miles and watching the ship get smaller and smaller behind us. It is a large tender, carrying 125 passengers.

There is a shopping area that is fenced in. I looked and looked for a shirt and finally found one. Very over priced and poor quality for 18.00. There are a lot of shops right there where the tender drops you off, and places to grab a beer, even a little stand where I got one for 3.00. You can get 2 for 5.00, at least so in 2010.

We looked out beyond the contained area at the port and decided we did not need to venture out any further. Looked kind of dicey. Quite.

There is a shopping center, but it's really nothing to write home about. There's a bar or two, several t-shirt shops and several places to buy knock off handbags. There are also several "pharmacies" where you can buy just about any "prescription" you could possibly want. But it is a safe area as it is fenced in from the rest of the island.

If you don't have an excursion planned and you are just looking to shop it's not the greatest in the Caribbean and honestly I don't even think they have anything that is locally made there. Just a bunch of made in china trinkets. But if you're interested in a t-shirt you will find one.

Thansk OP and people that replied to this thread. Some of my questions about Belize was answered here without having to ask. CC contributors are great :)

+1

We will have our 13 month old daughter with us so will not be doing any excursions and were curious about the shopping at the port.

I do have one question to add; am I correct in there being a liquor store in the port shopping area? I am wanting to pick up a bottle or two of 5 Barrel Rum that is only available in Belize.

+1

I do have one question to add; am I correct in there being a liquor store in the port shopping area? I am wanting to pick up a bottle or two of 5 Barrel Rum that is only available in Belize.

Absolutely, love that stuff. I think I saw some 12 and 15 barrel last Oct when we went. Just ask and someone will point you to the right shop. Did a trip to the distillery a couple years ago before it was so easy to get at the port. That was really cool and they were very nice. This is not one of our favorite ports, but we have had some great excursions there and never felt unsafe, cave tubing, rum factory, diving and city tours. You just need to use a reputable tour guide.

Absolutely, love that stuff. I think I saw some 12 and 15 barrel last Oct when we went. Just ask and someone will point you to the right shop. Did a trip to the distillery a couple years ago before it was so easy to get at the port. That was really cool and they were very nice. This is not one of our favorite ports, but we have had some great excursions there and never felt unsafe, cave tubing, rum factory, diving and city tours. You just need to use a reputable tour guide.

Thank you!

I have not heard of the 12 &15 barrel rums but will certainly keep an eye out for them. Probably won't be able to do it this trip but the distillery tour sounds interesting. Might have to do that next time.

Thank you!

I have not heard of the 12 &15 barrel rums but will certainly keep an eye out for them. Probably won't be able to do it this trip but the distillery tour sounds interesting. Might have to do that next time.

I have only see 1 , 3 and 5 barrel rums.