The new ship

Les Picantins

Add to the above a much larger room for art classes etc. The room on 5 deck used now on the Odyssey class ships is way too small and this means that some passengers are turned away.

I am very excited about the new ship even though it will be larger. Extending the Seabourn brand to 650 savvy passengers will be a challenge but let's see how the design and technical teams handle it. Can't wait to learn more.

Happy sailing!

Are we talking about ship design? About 77% of the replies mention policy or soft goods.

markham, as I look in the mirror it is obvious SB has not found enough savvy passengers to fill the last round of new ships. And next to the mirror is an unopened Tiffany box.

Oregon50,

It's clear from the number of responses so far that plans for the new Seabourn ship are generating excitement. Lots of loyal Seabourn cruisers have voted with their credit cards; I understand that Seabourn is no longer taking deposits for the maiden voyage which is anticipated for June or July, 2016!

The May, 2014 article by Seabourn about plans for the new 604 (where did 650 come from?) passenger ship and design team member Adam Tihany touches on several aspects of ship design including some technical areas. I suggest that those who may have missed it might find it interesting. A google search will do. And I hope Seabourn issues quarterly bulletins to club members as to their progress.

I don't know about Seabourn's general sales figures but I expect that they are healthy. My upcoming November cruise on Odyssey shows the veranda class as sold out- as of last month. The February, 2015 cruise on Sojourn is fully sold out.

I hope you are planning a cruise soon too. It's always great to be back on Seabourn!

Happy sailing!

It's wonderful to hear all these ideas and suggestions for the new ship but a thread like this only proves one thing...everyone wants something different. In truth, we will have to leave it to the ship's designers and with enjoy what they come up with or come back here to CC to complain.

Wripro, I actually thought that there was a fair amount of overlap.

Of course SB is not going to design their new ship based on this wish list...but I do think that they will factor in officers comments re: functional systems, passenger service manager experiences, competitors' products plus keep a finger on the pulse of what is important to passengers future. For myself, I would not have imagined the TV comments/wishes as we barely turn it on ...but there are several comments posted.

We have all seen how rumours and artist's rendering of spaces can change "in the flesh" but the new Seabourn ship seems to me to be heading squarely where all the ex: R-ships are. 600+ passengers in a similar sized ship. :eek:

And, the R-ships, all 8, have 6 fantastic aft suites.

BTW, all three Regent ships and the two new Oceanis ships all have those aft suites.

We enjoyed one of them very much in Alaska. Loved the second bathroom.

Please sail on ships that please you. It's about space/passenger ratio and serving different market segments. There is a place for everyone.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure someone will:eek:) but the new ship is scheduled to have the same length and beam as the Odyssey Class right? As I have read, the changes to the new ship are primarily one more deck of cabins. Passenger/space ratio is "tonnage" divided by passenger capacity. Now "tonnage" can be many things. Generally speaking, we all learned 2,000lbs is a ton. Not necessarily so on a ship. The P/S ratio uses the registered tonnage (GRT, Gross Registered Tonnage) in most cases. In this usage, tonnage is not referring to weight but to volume. Under maritime rules, 100 cubic ft of "commercial space" is considered a ton. All those new passenger cabins will add nicely to the GRT but, unless I am missing something big, the public spaces have little to no expansion thus being shared by more passengers. As other lines have shown, it is very hard to treat 600+ passengers as "special". On the little sisters, being treated special was made to look easy. :D Time will tell.

Love the idea of the flat screen TV in the area by the beds. A few times I really wanted to be lazy and watch a movie. The TV position on the Odyssey class ships was neither ideal for watching from the bed or couch. I ended up settling on watching a movie on my Ipad. I would love to see a bank of drawers in place of the TV cabinet.

How about luxury solo traveler suites that dont get clobbered with a 175-200% single supplement?

I'd love a luxe version of NCL's Studio. Those have a larger bed than what one gets when the normal bed is pulled apart into singles - and it was well utilized space, if a bit cramped. The part I hated on NCL was the rest of the ship!

I've been lucky that I've got friends who enjoy cruising too... but the day may come that I want to cruise and they can't join me. It would be nice to still have Seabourn as an option without having to pay double.

Jim Avery,

While I have no information on this, I would be shocked if all Seabourn did was use the Odyssey hull and/or dimensions to add another deck and try to fool everyone when adding 150 more passengers and a commensurate number of crew. The brand is very much about space per passenger on the Odyssey class ships, something its competitors cannot touch. Seabourn is using a different shipyard for the new build too.

I hope we get some official information in the coming months.

Happy sailing!

And, the R-ships, all 8, have 6 fantastic aft suites.

BTW, all three Regent ships and the two new Oceanis ships all have those aft suites.

It's easy to come off these ships and question why all the wasted space on the newer SB ships. Why can't they put dining tables closer together? Who needs two whirlpools on deck 5? And why would anyone want to eat outside on deck 7? Others can explain it to you.

To me, there is nothing exciting about a larger ship being put into service.

The A Train,

Oregon50 is on to something, and I think it is that Seabourn knows what it is doing. And I tend to agree given that Seabourn's vision is so appealing for me and what my sense of what luxury is.

On that note, I hasten to add that I don't where/how/why Seabourn has anything to learn from Regent or Oceania. Really.

But then I also believe in the "each to his own" maxim and if you do too then it's a relief you have those choices when you want an aft facing cabin and don't want to reserve a Seabourn Spa deck cabin.

Happy sailing!

I didn't realize NCL was going bankrupt from installing the singles suites. A quick way to bankruptcy is having unsold cabins instead of generating a lesser amount of income.

We are talking about ideas for a new Seabourn ship not NCL

It would be no good for what Seabourn does to have single suites as the ships sail full on nearly every cruise.

Single suites would give them less money and that would be a bad business decision.

NCL is a different thing altogether.

There are enough single sailors that can afford to pay for what Seabourn offers.

Edited by Mr Luxury