Need passports to book?

When booking a cruise, do you need add your passport number to the reservation at the time of booking like you would for booking an all inclusive?

Not at the time of booking, unless of course your cruise is right away. You fill out your details later. So book Away but get a passport (always best to travel with one).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have always been asked at the time of booking if I plan to sail with a birth certificate or passport. Just an answer of either one is needed, no numbers need to be provided at that time.

The reservation confirmation shows, in my case, passport.

I have always been asked at the time of booking if I plan to sail with a birth certificate or passport. Just an answer of either one is needed, no numbers need to be provided at that time.

The reservation confirmation shows, in my case, passport.

"At the time of booking" :confused: I have never been asked this question when making a booking with RCI until I'm ready to do my online checkin.

It depends on the cruise line. We booked a HAL cruise that required a passport for the itinerary and had 24 hours to provide the passport number or it would cancel. It was clearly stated on the confirmation.

I know my TA will not accept a booking on a cruise that requires a passport because of the itinerary, or on an air/land package where a passport is needed unless the person has a valid passport with the 6 months of validity.. She has had too many people fail to apply for their passports in time and had several turned down for passports due to child support issues.

Cruise lines will deny boarding for failure to have proper documentation and they will not refund the money. Insurance does not cover it unless you have a police report showing that the passport was stolern.

Several of her clients tried to make her pay them back out of her pocket. Thankfully, she had the e-mails where she explained what the requirements were, but she still incurred attorneys fees. Her attorney insisted on the new rule - no passport then no booking in order to protect herself from irresponsible clients. She has a sign prominently displayed in the office.

Edited by DebJ14

That is the Travel Agency rules....I just got off a HAL cruise and booked 3 weeks from sailing...,.

There was not ever an immediate demand for passport #....

I believe this is that Travel Agents rules and no one else's & certainly not HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

Guest maddycat

The OP is Canadian. They will need a passport (a birth certificate is not sufficient) in order to cruise from the US or any other foreign port. However, the passport number isn't needed until online check-in.

The OP is from Nova Scotia (see Location). No real need to so state!

I'm sorry, rules for Canadian cruisers may well be different than US cruisers and the OP's citizenship may well make a difference as to what is required to book a cruise.

Cruise Critic is a forum to help All cruisers but in order to answer a posters questions it is sometimes important to know some pertinent facts.

As a U.S. citizen I have no way of knowing the requirements for a Canadian citizen to book a cruise.

The rules and pricing is often different!

JMHO

The OP is from Nova Scotia (see Location). No real need to so state!

See location???? What does that mean ????? I am using the CC app it does not show signatures or post titles...... What "see location" do you mean?

Just went to the CC website and see nothing without pulling up the OP's profile to tell me she is Canadian.

Should not need to look, OP should alert us to important details...

Edited by nana541

See location???? What does that mean ????? I am using the CC app it does not show signatures or post titles...... What "see location" do you mean?

Just went to the CC website and see nothing without pulling up the OP's profile to tell me she is Canadian.

On a laptop, you see the username to the left, then to the right:

It's something you get used to checking for. Newbies don't know to state it, newbies don't know to look for it, but as you said it's important, so over time you try to remember to check. :)

I'm sorry, rules for Canadian cruisers may well be different than US cruisers and the OP's citizenship may well make a difference as to what is required to book a cruise.

Cruise Critic is a forum to help All cruisers but in order to answer a posters questions it is sometimes important to know some pertinent facts.

As a U.S. citizen I have no way of knowing the requirements for a Canadian citizen to book a cruise.

The rules and pricing is often different!

JMHO

Since the board is regularly used by many people in countries other than the USA, and the normal way of using it does show location--I really do not think it is wrong for someone to not think to post their nationality every time they ask something if that location is listed on their profile (which then means most can see it when reading).

If anything, it is just a wee bit presumptious to assume that unless directly told otherwise, everyone is from the US ;)

OP, I do not know for sure how it works from Canada, but we often book through the German office and are never asked for our passport numbers, or nationality (we are US citizens) when we book--only for online check in.

Edited by NHDisneylover

On a laptop, you see the username to the left, then to the right:

It's something you get used to checking for. Newbies don't know to state it, newbies don't know to look for it, but as you said it's important, so over time you try to remember to check. :)

Poster is on a IPHONE using the CC app. Location does not show.