Skagway train to White Pass

ULCajunCruiser

We want to take a train out of Skagway. I'm honestly a little confused about my options. We are on Celebrity, and looking at their shore excursions there are many, probably 8 different excursions leaving by train.

We are mainly interested in scenery and history, and are traveling with another couple who have mobility limitations, so I can pretty much narrow down my options to 4 or 5. But, how do I chose???

I'm thinking I want one of these:

SK01 AWhite Pass Scenic Railway

SK12 White Pass Railway and Trail Camp Adventure

SK49 White Pass Railway and Skagway Highlights

SK76 Yukon Adventure and White Pass Scenic Railway

SKA3 White Pass Railway & Klondike Highway Journey

Does anyone have experience with one or more of these excursions, and can you tell me your likes and dislikes. Does anyone highly recommend one or greatly suggest I stay away from one? Is there a place I can go to better research my options (a call to Celebrity was not productive)?

Thanks for any help

From the descriptions of the cruise tours and knowing the trains I would say that

SK01 is a train to the summit and return - probably offered both AM and PM

SK12 and SK76 are most likely a one way train ride between Skagway and Fraser BC with a bus ride the other stopping at some other attraction on the way back. SK76 has a bus ride into the Yukon - most likely to Carcross for lunch.

SK49 could either be a round trip summit train with a bus ride around Skagway upon return (or prior to the train) It could also be a one way to Fraser with a bus return and tour of Skagway - depends a lot on the amount of time they say the tour lasts.

SKA3 is a one way trip to/from Fraser on the train and bus the opposite direction.

There is no need to go with a Celebrity tour - you can book the train directly with the RR and Chilkoot offers similar tours -much smaller group, smaller bus, private rail car and perhaps less $$ as well.

We want to take a train out of Skagway. I'm honestly a little confused about my options. We are on Celebrity, and looking at their shore excursions there are many, probably 8 different excursions leaving by train.

We are mainly interested in scenery and history, and are traveling with another couple who have mobility limitations, so I can pretty much narrow down my options to 4 or 5. But, how do I chose???

I'm thinking I want one of these:

SK01 AWhite Pass Scenic Railway

SK12 White Pass Railway and Trail Camp Adventure

SK49 White Pass Railway and Skagway Highlights

SK76 Yukon Adventure and White Pass Scenic Railway

SKA3 White Pass Railway & Klondike Highway Journey

Does anyone have experience with one or more of these excursions, and can you tell me your likes and dislikes. Does anyone highly recommend one or greatly suggest I stay away from one? Is there a place I can go to better research my options (a call to Celebrity was not productive)?

Thanks for any help

This sounds like SK76 (but the other way round) and it's what we did with Chilkoot Charters last year. I thought it was a superb day. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

You mentioned mobility issues. Unless things have changed since we took the train, a ship excursion train leaves right from the dock and you have to go to town to board others.

Chilkoot picks up fro the pier and takes you to where you board the train.

If you book directly with the railroad, or perhaps with other vendors, you need to walk into town.

Sort out the descriptions. Each of these are different. Yes there is the round trip train, back and forth to the summit. The one ways- have various additions- Fraser round trips and Emerald Lake round trips- Depends on YOU. IF you want to get into the Yukon then you want an Emerald Lake turn around,

The Skagway Highlights, is going to be a drive by history commentary of downtown Skagway. The Trail Camp is going to be Liarsville and likely includes a salmon back- 3 miles out of town.

This is guessing- as it's not all that useful to just have tour "names", without the descriptions- that would offer me, easy accurate information.

I heartily endorse the Chilkoot option, if you're the type to be confident about booking independently of the ship. Also, just my opinion, but I'm glad we did a one-way train (to Fraser) with minibus return--the train is cool, but I think it would have been repetitive as a RT. Plus we got to see a couple of different things on the way back down.

Chilkoot picks up fro the pier and takes you to where you board the train.

If you book directly with the railroad, or perhaps with other vendors, you need to walk into town.

Or if doing the Chilkoot bus up train down...they pick you up and you're on your way ;)

Or if doing the Chilkoot bus up train down...they pick you up and you're on your way ;)

Thanks for that tip. As we berth on a Saturday I saw that the bus is on the way up and train back.

So there are two different trains? Ship train and Chilkoot train?

Thanks for that tip. As we berth on a Saturday I saw that the bus is on the way up and train back.

Several trains, one track. Gets interesting.

Oh, BTW, if you are taking one of the trains that goes into Canada be sure to bring your passports. The one that turns around at the top of the pass does not need passports because even though you are actually in Canada, you are not allowed to get off the train.

We were actually in a different train car than the ship excursions and perhaps also those that booked direct with the train....it's a long train. But so glad we opted to go with Chilkoot only about 18-20 on our bus and it made stops for photos...the large buses can't do that. Then we easily boarded the train for the trip down. Really something to consider..just check out Chilkoot's website and make your decision. Also you will need your passport to show in the train as you head back down.

Edited by Ashland

Thankyou both - will remember that passport and Chilkoot sounds the go. No wonder people get confused - more than 1 train!

For those who are really rail fans and interested in history- the Lake Bennett train is a winner.

Take a look at http://www.whitepassrailroad.com especially their map= should give you clear information.

I also highly recommend Dyea Dave. Runs excellent tours as well.

Edited by Budget Queen

Several trains, one track. Gets interesting.

Oh, BTW, if you are taking one of the trains that goes into Canada be sure to bring your passports. The one that turns around at the top of the pass does not need passports because even though you are actually in Canada, you are not allowed to get off the train.

Even so, the Mounties still pass through and check passports.

Yes there is one track with several passing sidings.

The Bennett Scenic Journey PASSPORT REQUIRED

Train runs between Skagway and Carcross with a lunch stop in Bennett.

You can see the end of the Chilkoot trail and learn about the gold rush history and how the town went from boom to bust overnight. NOTE the Saturday run is bus to Carcross and train return.

•Available Dates: May 26 – September 5, 2015

•Tour Duration: 8 Hours

•Departure Days & Times:

7:30 AM Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday

8:30 AM Saturday

•On Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday, the tour operates train leg first with bus leg second. On Saturday, the tour operates bus leg first with train leg second.

One Way Trains to/from Fraser BC PASSPORT REQUIRED

•Available: May 5 – September 24, 2015

•NORTHBOUND: Departs from Skagway Depot at 7:40 AM or 12:10 PM

•SOUTHBOUND: Departs from Fraser, BC at 10:20 AM or 2:45 PM (AK Time)

•Departures from Skagway at 7:40 AM and 12:10 PM require .5 mile bus transfer to train departure (this is also the Bennett Train - it leaves from the Yard).

•EXCEPTIONS TO SCHEDULE: •No Fraser train service on May 5, 8 & 15; September 18, 20 & 21.

•The PM departures are not available on Sundays and May 9 & 18.

•The AM departures are not available on September 19

The Summit Round Trip (these leave from the cruise ship docks if you book through your cruise line)

•Available: May 5 - September 24, 2015

•Departure Times: 8:15 AM & 12:45 PM DAILY

•Additional departures: 4:30 PM on Tuesdays & Wednesdays (From May 26 - September 2)

•Limited seating available on the 8:15 AM departure on Wednesdays (From May 27 - September 2)

•EXCEPTIONS TO SCHEDULE: •No Summit train service on May 6, 8, 15 & 18; August 30; September 18, 20, & 21.

•The 12:45 Summit departure is not available on the following Sundays: May 24; July 19; August 2, 16, 30.

Things may change because the steam engine is down for routine maintenance- they usually run in on Round Trips between Fraser and Skagway on Saturdays when there are only one or two ships in port.

Chilkoot will arrange to get you from the ship to the train and back to the ship.

When working with them be sure to mention which ship you are on and they will be able to recommend a tour that best fits the port time for it.

Just be aware that you will really be limiting your sightseeing opportunities if you only take the White Pass trip up to Fraser, then turn around and come back down again.

A long port time at Skagway provides a wonderful chance to extend your trip and continue on up into the Yukon for the amazing scenery, as well as possibilities for wildlife viewing along the way.

Many who post on these boards have stopped along the roadside on this trip to watch and photograph bears at very close range. The bears along this road appear to be well accustomed to the gawking tourists and basically ignore us, just glancing up at us from time to time and then going right on with their eating.

(You can't count on seeing bears along this road. It can be hit or miss, but it is still a wonderful excursion even if you don't see any bears. It is just an extra bonus if you do.)

I would suggest contacting the tour vendors that you are considering in advance to describe the mobility limitations of your companions and find out what types of accommodations they can offer them.

For the road part of the trip, we find that a smaller vehicle (such as a van for 4 or 6 or even 8 passengers) is much better, more comfortable, and gives a more personalized experience than the larger vans that hold 14, 16 or more.

At each photo stop, it is easy for everyone to open the closest door, jump out, and then step right back in when they are ready to move on.

Those with mobility limitations can just open their door, take photos and enjoy the views right from their seats through the open door.

(Although I do not suggest leaving the doors open when you are close to a bear. ;) )

Whenever we travel in a larger van or tour bus, it seems that we always need to waste time waiting at each stop for everyone to get off, and then waste time waiting again for everyone to get back on.

Also, the smaller vehicles can make stops at places where the larger vehicles can't.

Edited by varoo

I just recently took the White Pass train about a week ago. I took the basic (1A) option, which is to take the train up the mountain and back down. The sightseeing was beautiful. Great views. You have the best photo opportunities if you leave your seat and go to the outdoor platform. We even saw a bear from the train. I preferred to go with this tour, so that we would have the afternoon free to explore the town on our own.