observed dress code

stereo

On this year's Infinity TA, I saw a woman turned away in the buffet because of her wearing a bathrobe. Good for X, but I have to agree with the poster who commented on middle aged, overweight people wearing skimpy bathing attire. OTOH, seeing such sights ruins my appetite which keeps my weight down, so there is a good result to be had. Most passengers seem to stick with the rules, I have noticed. Those few who don't, stand out even more. People who simply can't stand to dress properly should find other venues where there are no dress codes. Seems like a simpe solution to me.

On this year's Infinity TA, I saw a woman turned away in the buffet because of her wearing a bathrobe. Good for X, but I have to agree with the poster who commented on middle aged, overweight people wearing skimpy bathing attire. OTOH, seeing such sights ruins my appetite which keeps my weight down, so there is a good result to be had. Most passengers seem to stick with the rules, I have noticed. Those few who don't, stand out even more. People who simply can't stand to dress properly should find other venues where there are no dress codes. Seems like a simpe solution to me.

What about the men that look 9 months pregnant with triplets who wear speedo's? I do not get it? Don't people have mirrors in their cabins? lol

Edited by Cruise a holic

Hi Cruise a Holic

Some people still imagine they are in their late teens/twenties and gods gift to women/men. They must have some imagination, I know exactly where I am and give thanks I still wake up in the morning drawing a breath, but hey we can all dream. Happy cruising to all.

What about the young girls as this may apply to many now a days. LOL

Agree with your posting!

Protocol Note...

Countries the world over recognize as I said in a previous post the following as formal wear... Tuxedos (dark colours), Dinner Jackets (white), Dress Uniforms (Active Military - Police - Firemen - and some organizations... Such as Scouting, Guiding, Legionnaires) and National Dress (including Scottish Kilts)

Very interesting. My husband is a fire captain in Australia, however, he is not permitted to wear his fireman dress uniform unless he is representing the fire authority in an officially authorised capacity.

Now I am not trying to be controversial here but it seems to me that the individuals who try to flaunt dress codes or do not appear to enjoy dressing for dinner are largely American .

I'm Australian and many Aussie men also hate dressing up. My family takes the opportunity to get a rare family photo of us all dressed up, but my husband wears a long sleeve dress shirt and tie (no jacket). We have to bring enough luggage with us as it is without having to add suit jackets to the cases for just 1, sometimes 2 wears and be forced to pay for additional luggage on flights to do so. It always amuses me how what others wear can affect people's holiday, frankly - I really couldn't care how others are dressed, my family is dressed appropriately (well we think so!) and we will have a great time. My enjoyment of my holiday is not affected if someone in the MDR is wearing jeans.

Now I am not trying to be controversial here but it seems to me that the individuals who try to flaunt dress codes or do not appear to enjoy dressing for dinner are largely American .

Hardly.

On our first Med cruise, a very large group had such an affinity for their X bathrobes, the Oceanview was a sea of white at breakfast (and lunch on sea days).

I'm Australian and many Aussie men also hate dressing up. My family takes the opportunity to get a rare family photo of us all dressed up, but my husband wears a long sleeve dress shirt and tie (no jacket). We have to bring enough luggage with us as it is without having to add suit jackets to the cases for just 1, sometimes 2 wears and be forced to pay for additional luggage on flights to do so. It always amuses me how what others wear can affect people's holiday, frankly - I really couldn't care how others are dressed, my family is dressed appropriately (well we think so!) and we will have a great time. My enjoyment of my holiday is not affected if someone in the MDR is wearing jeans.

I completely agree, after all we have paid a lot of money for OUR holiday and as long as you are not turning up in your underwear or birthday suit i see nothing wrong in wearing jeans, t shirts etc. I wear a suit to work every day but when i am on my holidays I like to dress down for my comfort, ppl need to be more tolerant and cruise lines need to drag themselves in to the 21st century esp when it comes to the MDR

I completely agree, after all we have paid a lot of money for OUR holiday and as long as you are not turning up in your underwear or birthday suit i see nothing wrong in wearing jeans, t shirts etc. I wear a suit to work every day but when i am on my holidays I like to dress down for my comfort, ppl need to be more tolerant and cruise lines need to drag themselves in to the 21st century esp when it comes to the MDR

Everyone on the cruise has paid a lot for their holiday. The cruise line makes it very clear what their dress codes are and provides alternatives for people who don't ever want to dress up. People who consciously choose to go on a cruise line with dress codes should be considerate of the people who booked a cruise expecting a certain ambiance. You can certainly dress as you like for your cruise by choosing the appropriate venue to dine.

JUSTIFICATION! Another excuse not to dress up on Formal night. I think they have all been used.

Travel too far.

Airlines restrictions.

Dress up during work.

On holiday/vacation.

Lets get over it and hear a new one.

Going on a river cruise! LOL

I also think that the, for the most part, experience of dining with others for a week was fun, but it is clear many have had bad experiences and have expressed this to Cruise lines. Fixed dining and 'suggested' dining attire are going away. Here come the shorts, t-shirt and flips on formal nights!

I think if Celebrity doesn't start enforcing the dress code for both men and women, you couldn't be more correct.

I'm a prime example of someone who will be dressing down on formal night. Last cruise and all previous cruises, I wore formal gowns and, because I was one of only a few who did on the last cruise, I won't be wearing gowns again on Celebrity. I will still be more dressed up than the majority, but not like I use to dress.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We dress the same, no matter what line, we go on including Cunard, Princess, HAL, Celebrity and NCL. After 50+ cruises we never leave home without a Tux, White Dinner Jacket and a nice sport coat for my DH. We generally dress in formal or informal wear most nights, except the first and last night when we do smart casual. If at ages 82 and 67 we can do it, flying all over the world, there really is no excuse for the lack of attention to what one wears that we often see these days.

Bathrobes around the ship outside of spa appointments is unacceptable.

We look the other way, hope someday folks with get a clue. We always get a table for 2, what others do is not going to change our standards.

I think this is all about the rules and how some can not stand to see someone not following them. On NCL where it is always resort casual you see people dressed up all the time having a great time as are the people who are not dressed up. On a line like X when people do not follow the rules and not dress for formal night the people who do somehow have their cruise ruined. Why is that?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I think this is all about the rules and how some can not stand to see someone not following them. On NCL where it is always resort casual you see people dressed up all the time having a great time as are the people who are not dressed up. On a line like X when people do not follow the rules and not dress for formal night the people who do somehow have their cruise ruined. Why is that?

Because Celebrity is not 'Resort Casual.' What is 'Resort Casual?' Another term for casual. LOL

I don't think anyone's cruise is ruined. It also really has nothing much to do with the clothing, it's the I'll do as I please attitude. You can't legislate good manners.

Everyone on the cruise has paid a lot for their holiday. The cruise line makes it very clear what their dress codes are and provides alternatives for people who don't ever want to dress up. People who consciously choose to go on a cruise line with dress codes should be considerate of the people who booked a cruise expecting a certain ambiance. You can certainly dress as you like for your cruise by choosing the appropriate venue to dine.

And that is exactly what i am saying as long as ppl dress according to the venue I see nothing wrong, from what I have read on the numerous posts on this site, certain cruise lines are taking a more tolerant stand when it comes to dress code as long as ppl turn up smart and not as if dressed for the beach and if the cruise line is taking that stand then you can not blame ppl for then not dressing up the nines.

I don't think anyone's cruise is ruined. It also really has nothing much to do with the clothing, it's the I'll do as I please attitude. You can't legislate good manners.

Or I'll follow the rules I want to follow and others that I disagree with, I will disregard.

I am sure we all do this to some extent. I find at times that it is not a rule, but some direction or instruction being told to me by a crew member that makes no sense and I have at times ignored. I point this out as I do not want to seem like I never break a rule as I have. I do try to follow most rules as that was contract I booked under. But for sure, I am sure I have broken a rule that irked someone if they saw we breaking the rule.

What some people do not think of, I guess, is that for some they did book the cruise with the expectation that everyone/others would adhere to the 'suggested' dress code or other rules of the particular crulse.

Why is it okay to disregard the evening attire and not okay to cut in line, or hog a pool chair? Why is it okay for Captain's Club members to take drinks away from the evening event when it is clearly stated that drinks are for consumption there?

The cruise lines in part have help to create the issue and we/I have also helped create the problem too as when we choose which rules to adhere to and other rules we think are silly/dumb or an inconvenience and thus disregard with no negative consequence.

Edited by shipshape sam

I wonder how I always seem to miss these sights, it's a mystery to me.

:cool: I wonder also. I have never seem what was described. Sometimes I wonder if the "it's my cruise--I'll wear what I want crowd" writes these comments to try to see who out there agree with them. I have left RCCL becuase it was getting too casual, and I hope Celeb does enforce their rules. Last summer on Constellation, I saw none of what was described. I do agree though--if you have a rule, ENFORCE IT.:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Edited by sailawayjack

:cool: I wonder also. I have never seem what was described. Sometimes I wonder if the "it's my cruise--I'll wear what I want crowd" writes these comments to try to see who out there agree with them. I have left RCCL becuase it was getting too casual, and I hope Celeb does enforce their rules. Last summer on Constellation, I saw none of what was described. I do agree though--if you have a rule, ENFORCE IT.:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

Agree but the Cruise lines will never enforce the evening dress (formal or casual) guidelines to the letter, as they should.

Edited by davekathy

Sometimes I wonder if the "it's my cruise--I'll wear what I want crowd" writes these comments to try to see who out there agree with them.
Sometimes I wonder if it is those that want to keep it formal who write that they don't see those that are not formally dressed, to see who out there agrees with them. Hmmmmm, I guess it can go both ways, if you think about it.

Whatever Celebrity wants to do, I'm down with it. I like to dress up, but if they changed it, like other cruise lines are doing, I really wouldn't care one way or the other. Crystal, a cruise line which is much, much more formal, now only has one formal (black tie optional) night on their 7 and 10 day cruises, where they use to have two.

I do agree, if Celebrity is going to have a dress code, they need to enforce it for both men and women.

Edited by NLH Arizona

And I completely disagree. People need to be aware of what it is that they are purchasing. Celebrity's dress code guidelines are easily available and if you decide to purchase the Celebrity product it is not unreasonable to expect that you have agreed to those guidelines. Your reasoning is as misguided as if you decided to dine at an Italian restaurant at home and then insisted that they serve you Chinese food because "it is OUR meal" and you should be served what you prefer to eat.

People need to "drag themselves into" the understanding of what is expected of them when participating in an activity and not insist that they should be able to do it in whatever way they want to.

The world does NOT revolve around the individual.

Edited by boogs