Silver Explorer Antarctica, Falklands, S Georgia

sunset sails

My experience of the Falklands is that it is either raining, has just rained or is just about to rain. It's also almost always very windy. Mind you I was there in their autumn/winter

Definitely waterproofs and boots for the South Atlantic any time of year.

We sail in January and are clear on the packing list for the Antarctica portion of the cruise. What is appropriate attire for the Falklands and S. Georgia excursions. Thanks in advance for your advice.

We're on that expedition cruise also. Good advice from PaulMCO - layer! Falklands won't be as cold as the rest of the trip - more like Ushuaia. We have tall waterproof, insulated boots for wet landings and lower (and more fashionable) waterproof, insulated boots for dry landings - boots we might actually wear again! See you in BA or onboard in 6 weeks.

Gary

We're on that expedition cruise also. Good advice from PaulMCO - layer! Falklands won't be as cold as the rest of the trip - more like Ushuaia. We have tall waterproof, insulated boots for wet landings and lower (and more fashionable) waterproof, insulated boots for dry landings - boots we might actually wear again! See you in BA or onboard in 6 weeks.

Gary

Happened to see this post

We did the Seabourn Antarctica cruise and were advised by others to rent boots which were left on the stern of the ship in lockers

Just think penguins walking around leaving little deposits, you walking through it then placing the boots into your suitcase. We were told you cant get rid of the smell and also think the weight factor flying :)

Edited by Thecat123

Thanks all! I probably wasn't clear with my question. We are all set with boots for the trip. I just wasn't sure what the landings would be like for the Falklands and S. Georgia and whether we would need to wear our boots for those stops or would need something else. Sounds like we are good. Gnld, see you there!

In 2012, for our Antarctic voyage, Silver Explorer had a supply of boots suitable for wet landings available for loan. Far preferable to bringing boots from Australia and carrying them for the rest of our extensive travels after we left the cruise.

I hope that Explorer still has this loan system for our Greenland cruise in 2016 as we are travelling extensively in drier parts of Europe after the cruise.

In 2012, for our Antarctic voyage, Silver Explorer had a supply of boots suitable for wet landings available for loan. Far preferable to bringing boots from Australia and carrying them for the rest of our extensive travels after we left the cruise.

I hope that Explorer still has this loan system for our Greenland cruise in 2016 as we are travelling extensively in drier parts of Europe after the cruise.

They do but SS does caveat that there is no guarantee of getting correct sizes. We brought our own for our Arctic cruise, but in hind sight no one had an issue. There are no rentals like they have at Ushuaia based cruises.

Coming from Australia we buy the cheapest boots from Bunnings,wear them during the cruise and leave them behind when we finish the cruise.So more choice for subsequent cruises.As well SS do distribute the boots later to some of the less advantaged places they visit.

Looking forward to a report of this cruise.We have been to the Antarctic but the Continent not the Peninsula.We will be doing the Cape to Cape in 2017 to see the Falklands and South Georgia.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on the January 3rd Silver Explorer and curious about boots as well. Just confirming that we can wear the same boots for dry landings as we can for wet landings right? This will be our first time on Silversea (or any exploration ship). Getting SO EXCITED !

You can wear the same boots (Wellington style near knee high) but if you have a dry landing followed by a walk sturdy walking shoes will be preferable. Wellies are not great for a long walk if you can avoid it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with 57. We're bringing high (mid-calf or so) waterproof, insulated boots for wet landings (bought quality ones for a bit less than the cost to rent ones from SS). And also waterproof, insulated, much lower hiking boots for dry landings.

All of our cold weather gear will be in two duffel bags (w/ wheels) and on-board clothing in a large suitcase and a carry-on size suitcase. Note the 50-pounds per person weight limit for the charter flight. Not 50 pounds per bag, but 50 pounds per person! This might be a challenge!

I agree with 57. We're bringing high (mid-calf or so) waterproof, insulated boots for wet landings (bought quality ones for a bit less than the cost to rent ones from SS). And also waterproof, insulated, much lower hiking boots for dry landings.

All of our cold weather gear will be in two duffel bags (w/ wheels) and on-board clothing in a large suitcase and a carry-on size suitcase. Note the 50-pounds per person weight limit for the charter flight. Not 50 pounds per bag, but 50 pounds per person! This might be a challenge!

So the 50 lbs. per person includes checked bag AND CARRY ON (including laptop, camera etc.) ? This indeed will be very challenging. :eek: Coming home with the big red parka ....yikes.

Edited by petlover

The 50 pound per person is discriminatory against those of us who weigh less than our significant others! It would be more reasonable to give a maximum weight per person including luggage but I know that will never happen. Just not socially correct IMHO.

The 50 pound per person is discriminatory against those of us who weigh less than our significant others! It would be more reasonable to give a maximum weight per person including luggage but I know that will never happen. Just not socially correct IMHO.

haha...don't I wish as I'm petite but I agree, I don't see this ever happening.

Of course the suggestion of total weight is discriminating against those genetically larger.Should a fellow who is 7 foot tall and weighing 220lb be able to take on less luggage than a 5 foot woman weighing 177lb.

The fellow has a BMI of 22 and lighter than average for his height whereas the woman has a BMI of 35 and morbidly obese.

So the 50 lbs. per person includes checked bag AND CARRY ON (including laptop, camera etc.) ? This indeed will be very challenging. :eek: Coming home with the big red parka ....yikes.

Take a look in the back of the Travel Journal passengers received last month, pp. 95 & 96. Under Baggage, it talks about no more than 50 pounds per guest in checked bags (1 or 2) AND 1 carry-on size bag (sum of the 2 or 3 bags). You can also bring aboard a small bag such as a purse or laptop bag, not subject to the weight limit.

I groused to a Silversea rep on the phone about this low weight limit, but he said it was imposed by the charter carrier. I don't know what the consequences would be if one is grossly over that 50-pound limit! Considering all the cold weather clothing we need to bring, I feel this is unreasonably low -- after all, it is a decent sized jet capable of carrying a lot more baggage weight!

P.S. If you're at the 50-pound limit heading back to BA, just wear the parka getting on the plane, then stow it overhead! Once you get to BA, pack it in your bag for the overseas flight home.

That's how we read the travel docs too, gnld. The checked bags, up to 2, have a weight limit of 50 lbs. In addition, the carry on bag has a weight limit of 17 lbs. And then a personal bag (purse/computer bag) no limit.

Also, can anyone tell me if Silverseas provides bathrobes in the cabins? I haven't seen anything about that on the website. One less thing to pack!

Petlover and gnld, see you onboard!

Of course the suggestion of total weight is discriminating against those genetically larger.Should a fellow who is 7 foot tall and weighing 220lb be able to take on less luggage than a 5 foot woman weighing 177lb.

The fellow has a BMI of 22 and lighter than average for his height whereas the woman has a BMI of 35 and morbidly obese.

Agreed. I knew my comments would raise objections which are equally valid.