New seasonal menu on Gem

cygnets

When is the menu change taking effect? If the change has already occured how was the food?

We sailed on Gem in March and thought the MDR menu had great selection and the food we ordered was good.

Email from NCL about our October Gem Cruise.

Bon Appetit! New Delicious Menus On Your Cruise.

Savour Delicious

Cuisine.

Enjoy new seasonal dinner menus in our Main Dining Rooms, Magenta and Grand Pacific. Everything on our menu is fresh and locally sourced from the exciting destinations we sail to. We only use the best ingredients, at their prime, so that when we make all of our items from scratch, they become the most delicious dishes. Bon appetit!

image.jpg.e31d18f0e50d317308fec2020c8636da.jpg

Received yesterday for my canada/new england cruise in 2 weeks. Certainly peaked my interest.

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

Can't wait to see the ship and relax...we leave in 3 weeks from Manhattan.

Praying the Pope's visit doesn't cause too much congestion in the city. We didn't know of this when we booked or would have chosen another week to cruise. We picked this one as our Anniversary is during the week on the ship.

Edited by gwsster

Can't wait to see the ship and relax...we leave in 3 weeks from Manhattan.

Praying the Pope's visit doesn't cause too much congestion in the city. We didn't know of this when we booked or would have chosen another week to cruise. We picked this one as our Anniversary is during the week on the ship.

My best friend and I are on this cruise, too. I probably wouldn't have picked this week if I had known about the Pope's visit. Oh well, I am just not going to worry about it. We are flying in the day before and just need to get from LaGuardia to our hotel in Time's Square. Once we get to the hotel, we will play it by ear. Getting to the pier in the morning should be okay. The Pope is supposed to be leaving out of JFK at 8:40 a.m. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and I would like to add -- CANNOT WAIT!!!

I somehow think this new menu means less food. Cheaper food.

Call me a skeptic. Call me jaded. Or call me realistic.

And they make all their items from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tend to agree with Luvtheships! Although, I hope we're both wrong.

Edited by Director Don

Our last cruise was a while ago and we thought the food was normal (or average). This coming cruise in a few weeks will be a good test to see if the food is improved in the specialties (we have the UDP for this one). We may even try the MDR and blow off one of the duplicate specialties if fellow passengers say the MDR is good.

When is the menu change taking effect? If the change has already occured how was the food?

We sailed on Gem in March and thought the MDR menu had great selection and the food we ordered was good.

Email from NCL about our October Gem Cruise.

Bon Appetit! New Delicious Menus On Your Cruise.

Savour Delicious

Cuisine.

Enjoy new seasonal dinner menus in our Main Dining Rooms, Magenta and Grand Pacific. Everything on our menu is fresh and locally sourced from the exciting destinations we sail to. We only use the best ingredients, at their prime, so that when we make all of our items from scratch, they become the most delicious dishes. Bon appetit!

We were on the Gem in June and we were the first cruise to try out the new menu's. They gave us little cards to give our opinions on the meals. I am guessing they used the feedback to come up with permanent new menus. Everything we tried was really good, desserts good use a little more improvement. Someone did post those test menus on cc back in June/July. I am sure they tweaked those menus. Have no fear food was good.

My best friend and I are on this cruise, too. I probably wouldn't have picked this week if I had known about the Pope's visit. Oh well, I am just not going to worry about it. We are flying in the day before and just need to get from LaGuardia to our hotel in Time's Square. Once we get to the hotel, we will play it by ear. Getting to the pier in the morning should be okay. The Pope is supposed to be leaving out of JFK at 8:40 a.m. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and I would like to add -- CANNOT WAIT!!!

Just make sure your cab driver is aware of the Pope being in Manhattan. He should already know this. The Pope is not scheduled to be near Times Square but traffic will be crazy. Saturday morning you will be fine since the Pope heads to JFK by helicopter. Once he leaves security and traffic will lessen.

Enjoy the Gem. It is our favorite ship.

Just make sure your cab driver is aware of the Pope being in Manhattan. He should already know this. The Pope is not scheduled to be near Times Square but traffic will be crazy. Saturday morning you will be fine since the Pope heads to JFK by helicopter. Once he leaves security and traffic will lessen.

Enjoy the Gem. It is our favorite ship.

Thanks! My friend is cruising for the first time. I sure hope she likes it!

We were on the Gem in June and we were the first cruise to try out the new menu's. They gave us little cards to give our opinions on the meals. I am guessing they used the feedback to come up with permanent new menus. Everything we tried was really good, desserts good use a little more improvement. Someone did post those test menus on cc back in June/July. I am sure they tweaked those menus. Have no fear food was good.

Thanks for the info... So what was the best dish you tried? Did they still have the four or more 'go to' main entree selections if that nights specials did not interest you?

Thanks for the info... So what was the best dish you tried? Did they still have the four or more 'go to' main entree selections if that nights specials did not interest you?

Don't remember what meal I really enjoyed because I enjoyed most of them. Eggplant tower was good as was some zucchini dish. Filet of sole was really a small portion. There was a pistachio souffle type of dessert served the first day which was the best dessert along with the tiramisu.

Don't know how to post a thread but here is what I posted when I got back.

Sailed on the Gem, 6/13-21. Captain and Executive Chef informed us at Cruise Critic Meet & Greet that it was the first week of testing new MDR menus. If feedback is good these new menus will be on the Escape and will go fleetwide. Every night they gave you a little survey card to fill out if you wanted to give your opinion on the meal.

Unfortunately my camera broke so I am unable to load new menus. We ate in the MDR every night and the food was very good. I noticed a lot of fish entrees.

These four dishes are on the menu every night:

Oven Roasted Rosemary Chicken

Sauteed Lemon Sole

Penne Arrabiata (spicy garlic sauce) IMO not too spicy

Strip Loin Steak

Every night soups, salads and appetizers were different. Here is a sample:

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Pumpkin & Butternut Squash Soup

NO MORE ONION SOUP or cold soups

Watermelon, Shrimp & Mozzarella

Breaded Mushrooms

Main Course (Some of the choices during the 8 nights):

Shrimp & Linguine

Eggplant Tower

Gnocchi

Spicy Sausage & Linguine

Broiled Salmon

Swordfish Carpaccio

Chicken Parmigiana

Prime Rib (Served twice)

Mixed BBQ

Lamb Shank

Garlic Shrimp

Cajun Shrimp & Braised Short Ribs

Corvina Oven Roasted Turkey

Rainbow Trout

Linguine & Scallops

Spice Red Dai Lentil Curry

Desert:

Bananas Foster

Warm Chocolate Volcano

Minted Berry Tiramisu

Tiramisu

Banana Boat

Ice Cream

There were many, many other soups, salads, entrees and deserts. These were just a few I jotted down. IMO the deserts were not too good, I am a big desert lover.

Hope this helps.

Correct me if i am wrong but it seems that the only people who have received this email are on the gem for a canada/new england cruise. Perhaps ncl is testing something new for this short specialty season. Just my thoughts, anyone else?

Correct me if i am wrong but it seems that the only people who have received this email are on the gem for a canada/new england cruise. Perhaps ncl is testing something new for this short specialty season. Just my thoughts, anyone else?

We are on the Gem in October for 10 days to the caribbean and got the email Friday about the menu change.