Blue Kay Questions

Taylor95

I'm starting to do research for our first time in Costa Maya. I'm leaning towards a cheaper, relaxing day at Blue Kay but have a few questions. Thinking about spending the majority of our time at Blue Kay and then possibly walking to the Malecon to see that area and do a little shopping - is this an easy, reasonable walk? I have seen jet ski tours offered some places - is this something we could book at Blue Kay or a vendor close to there? Last question... are there as many peddlers at the beach area around Blue Kay as there are at the beach areas closer to the Malecon? Thanks for any help & suggestions!

It's a fairly easy walk. Blue Kay is technically near the beginning of the malecon. Between BK and the Mercado there's only Tequila Beach, which has/had jet skis--expensive, and Senor Frogs, which I've been told is now closed. IMO there's not a lot of "shopping " along the malecon. Couple of stores and some kiosks. Tourista stuff available anywhere. Prices may or may not be cheaper than at the cruise port. Others may have different opinion. You'll run into lounge chair hawkers and some peddlers all along the malecon.

If you're just walking normal pace and looking around, it'll take you 15-20 minutes to go from the lighthouse to Macho's Bar where the walkable malecon ends.

It's a fairly easy walk. Blue Kay is technically near the beginning of the malecon. Between BK and the Mercado there's only Tequila Beach, which has/had jet skis--expensive, and Senor Frogs, which I've been told is now closed. IMO there's not a lot of "shopping " along the malecon. Couple of stores and some kiosks. Tourista stuff available anywhere. Prices may or may not be cheaper than at the cruise port. Others may have different opinion. You'll run into lounge chair hawkers and some peddlers all along the malecon.

If you're just walking normal pace and looking around, it'll take you 15-20 minutes to go from the lighthouse to Macho's Bar where the walkable malecon ends.

We have 3 year old with us - is the walk from Blue Cay to Malecon shopping stroller friendly (paved)? Or are we better off taking a taxi?

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion is that Blue Kay is just what you are looking for. I didn't see a lot of "shops" along the way. It's mostly beach clubs and places to eat, but then again, I did most of my shopping at the port where they will work with you on pricing.

Another thing, Blue Kay has lockers, so you could put your things in there while you walked around as well.

We did not encounter ANY peddlers at all at Blue Kay and I think that was due to the location of it and most go up and down the more populated area of the Malecon.

• 1 month later...
So I'm sold on Blue Kay (thanks Mitsugirly). What exactly is the best way to get there from port?

Most direct way is to walk through the cruise port center shopping and out the parking lot through the gate and catch a taxi. There's a separate entrance for Blue Kay before the main malecon. The other way is to catch the open air tram (same $ as a taxi) in the cruise port center parking lot and get off at the first tram stop and walk back up the malecon toward the lighthouse to Blue Kay. IMO, you're better off taking the taxi. While you have to walk a bit further through the parking lot in the beginning, it's less than walking back along the malecon. Plus in the tram you have to wait until the tram fills or leaves with X # of others.

We were in Costa May the week before last. Based mostly on Mitsugirly's review we decided to go to Blue Kay. It was wonderfully relaxing. We walked through the port and grabbed a taxi to Blue Kay. He dropped us off at the office where we purchased wrist bands for $5 each. For that we got beach chairs and one drink. We were the first people on the beach so we had our choice of areas to set up camp. There are lounge chairs in the sun, under palapas, with padded mats, without mats, or tables with chairs. They are all spread out enough so that when other people start arriving, it still never felt crowded. The snorkeling wasn't that great. It's a sandy bottom with some sea grass. I tried to get out close to wear waves were breaking on rocks/reef, but I didn't have my fins and there was a bit of a current that I didn't want to fight. I did see a few interesting things. I ordered ceviche for lunch and my husband had fried coconut shrimp. We both enjoyed our meals. There was one vendor with a little booth near Blue Kay and his employees came by once or twice but that was it. Nowhere near the number of vendors we encountered during our two visits to Tropicante. We didn't get massages, the they were set up and we saw some people getting them. After relaxing a couple of hours and having lunch we wondered down to the end of the Malecon and bought a couple of trinkets. We stopped in at Tropicante going and coming and got drinks and visited. It was much more bustling down there than at Blue Kay.

I took lots of pictures, including of the Blue Kay menu. I will post some here as soon as I get them off my phone and cameras on on my computer.

As for shopping in Costa Maya/Mahahual, unlike most ports where I think prices are better outside the port and I prefer to shop locally, here I think that the local vendors are overpriced, and not as willing to bargain as in some other ports. If you wanted to shop you are probably going to find a better selection at better prices in the port than along the Malecon. Or just wait until you get to Cozumel to shop.

There are lounge chairs in the sun, under palapas, with padded mats, without mats, or tables with chairs.

Glad you had a wonderful day at Blue Kay and enjoyed yourselves. I did want to ask about the "with padded mats" part. Are you saying that they had chairs with mats on them now? Just wondering since they did not have any when we were there and found that this was the only thing I could think of that would have made the place better.

We were in Costa May the week before last. Based mostly on Mitsugirly's review we decided to go to Blue Kay. It was wonderfully relaxing. We walked through the port and grabbed a taxi to Blue Kay. He dropped us off at the office where we purchased wrist bands for $5 each. For that we got beach chairs and one drink. We were the first people on the beach so we had our choice of areas to set up camp. There are lounge chairs in the sun, under palapas, with padded mats, without mats, or tables with chairs. They are all spread out enough so that when other people start arriving, it still never felt crowded. The snorkeling wasn't that great. It's a sandy bottom with some sea grass. I tried to get out close to wear waves were breaking on rocks/reef, but I didn't have my fins and there was a bit of a current that I didn't want to fight. I did see a few interesting things. I ordered ceviche for lunch and my husband had fried coconut shrimp. We both enjoyed our meals. There was one vendor with a little booth near Blue Kay and his employees came by once or twice but that was it. Nowhere near the number of vendors we encountered during our two visits to Tropicante. We didn't get massages, the they were set up and we saw some people getting them. After relaxing a couple of hours and having lunch we wondered down to the end of the Malecon and bought a couple of trinkets. We stopped in at Tropicante going and coming and got drinks and visited. It was much more bustling down there than at Blue Kay.

I took lots of pictures, including of the Blue Kay menu. I will post some here as soon as I get them off my phone and cameras on on my computer.

As for shopping in Costa Maya/Mahahual, unlike most ports where I think prices are better outside the port and I prefer to shop locally, here I think that the local vendors are overpriced, and not as willing to bargain as in some other ports. If you wanted to shop you are probably going to find a better selection at better prices in the port than along the Malecon. Or just wait until you get to Cozumel to shop.

Thank you for telling us about your recent trip - sounds like the exact day I'm looking for. Anxious to see your pictures [emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Blue Kay last Thursday and I just wanted to share our experience so it doesn't happen to other people...

We decided to take the open-air tram to Blue Kay since they were right there and we didn't want to walk out to get a cab. They charged $3 per person and said they couldn't make change. Well, ha-ha to them - we happened to have $9 :) They also proceeded to tell us you have to have reservations for Blue Kay. I didn't believe them and we figured we'd just go and see. We waited a little bit for the tram to fill and then drove down to where Blue Kay is. Well they drove right past it. They said they can't make stops anymore for people. So they dropped us at one beach location. They said if we didn't have reservations then we should stay there. It was $10 per person plus tax (our 9-year old was free). So now we're nervous about Blue Kay and we just paid the $22. They set us up at a nice table in the shade and pointed out a couple of things on the beach.

Immediately people started coming over to peddle stuff. It was non-stop for the half hour we sat there. The beach area we had access to was really small and the seaweed was everywhere. There was no snorkeling to speak of. So we decided to bail and walk down to Blue Kay. Yep. Should have done that to start with. The water was better, there actually were some fish, and it was $5 per person and that included a drink!

While we were there we told our story to another couple and the man told us the people at the other beach told them Blue Kay was closed! So there is some kind of deal going on between that beach and the tram people. Just watch out for people lying to you. It cost us $22 and about an hour of wasted time. We really enjoyed Blue Kay and would do it again. Oh and the cab back was only $2 per person. So save yourself the hassle and take a cab both ways!

We went to Blue Kay last Thursday and I just wanted to share our experience so it doesn't happen to other people...

We decided to take the open-air tram to Blue Kay since they were right there and we didn't want to walk out to get a cab. They charged $3 per person and said they couldn't make change. Well, ha-ha to them - we happened to have $9 :) They also proceeded to tell us you have to have reservations for Blue Kay. I didn't believe them and we figured we'd just go and see. We waited a little bit for the tram to fill and then drove down to where Blue Kay is. Well they drove right past it. They said they can't make stops anymore for people. So they dropped us at one beach location. They said if we didn't have reservations then we should stay there. It was $10 per person plus tax (our 9-year old was free). So now we're nervous about Blue Kay and we just paid the $22. They set us up at a nice table in the shade and pointed out a couple of things on the beach.

Immediately people started coming over to peddle stuff. It was non-stop for the half hour we sat there. The beach area we had access to was really small and the seaweed was everywhere. There was no snorkeling to speak of. So we decided to bail and walk down to Blue Kay. Yep. Should have done that to start with. The water was better, there actually were some fish, and it was $5 per person and that included a drink!

While we were there we told our story to another couple and the man told us the people at the other beach told them Blue Kay was closed! So there is some kind of deal going on between that beach and the tram people. Just watch out for people lying to you. It cost us $22 and about an hour of wasted time. We really enjoyed Blue Kay and would do it again. Oh and the cab back was only $2 per person. So save yourself the hassle and take a cab both ways!

Aww, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Honestly, it could happen anywhere in any port. The cab drivers and transportation get a cut when they start advertising and talking cruisers into going to an establishment instead of somewhere else. I hate that you went ahead and paid money to them. You should have just got off the tram and headed to the malecon walkway and told them you'll find a place on your own. I hate pushy people. When we went to Blue Kay, they were stopping and encouraging everyone to go to Senor Frogs. We got off and kept walking while they were yelling for us to come back. I completely ignore anyone like that and won't give them the time of day. I spend my money where I want to and won't be convinced to go anywhere else. :p

I'm glad you ended up at Blue Kay and had a good time after that. :)

Thanks for the heads-up.....

Just wanted to echo this as well. We were on the Getaway a couple of weeks ago with some friends. Using the trusty Cruise Critic forums (:)), I had done my research and was sold on Blue Kay no matter what. Our friends didn't do any planning and was playing everything by ear. Anyway, when we saw them at breakfast while docking at CM, we told them we were going to Blue Kay and they could meet us there.

Fast forward a couple of hours and I saw one of my friends walking the beach looking around. She ended up telling me when they got off the ship, they ran into a guy renting golf carts. He told them that Blue Kay charged $60 (or something like that) per person and they were a party of 5. Also, if they rented a cart from him, they got "free" entry to another place. She went to this place and was very disappointed in the space and atmosphere so she decided to take the golf cart and do some exploring for other options. When she came to Blue Kay, she was very surprised at the amount of space and beach. She was even more shocked when I told her it was $5 and included a drink. Needless to say, she went back and packed up the family and was back 10 minutes later. Told her she should have listened to me earlier....CC has never lead me astray.

Also, quick comment about the tram. I think taking a taxi to Blue Kay is much easier because as others have said, you pass it on the tram. The walk to backtrack was a distance in my opinion, especially if you have kids and beach stuff, although others may disagree. Of course, before we even got off the tram there were guys there selling their location. We ended up taking a cab from the drop-off back to Blue Kay.

We really enjoyed our experience at BK and would go definitely go back. Thanks CC.

These two post are very informative. lounger hawkers can be very aggressive along the malecon. The first tram stop is at Tequila Beach. The owner has a financial interest in the cruise port and has an exclusive first stop for the trams. And once you are off the tram they immediately start baiting you to stay there. At one time, Tequila Beach was the only place along the malecon that had water sports or equipment for rent. Not so any more. They also had beach volleyball tourneys and other things. But it's changed now. Anyway beach lounger hawkers will try to tell you they are Tropicante, Pez Quadro, YaYa whatever, if you mention that you are looking for a particular place. They will also spread rumors that the place you want to go is full, now charges an arm and a leg, etc. Understand it's part of their livelihood as they partially get paid by number of loungers they fill. But do say No Thank You (no, gracias) and move on to where you are going.

Also, quick comment about the tram. I think taking a taxi to Blue Kay is much easier because as others have said, you pass it on the tram. The walk to backtrack was a distance in my opinion, especially if you have kids and beach stuff, although others may disagree. Of course, before we even got off the tram there were guys there selling their location. We ended up taking a cab from the drop-off back to Blue Kay.

That's why we ended up staying at the first place (initially). It seemed like it was a ways back to get to Blue Kay and it was so oppressively hot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm so sad to hear Blue Kay is losing business because of these guys. It was so gorgeous, comfortable and relaxing -- and the water was amazing. When we went in June, we didn't even pay $5 per person. We only bought a tiny bit of food, which was delicious and one drink. We had only 2 people come by to sell things, but it was easy to say no.

After seeing how close it was to port on taxi ride back,I vow next time to take a taxi there -- no need for the open air tram and having to hike to Blue Kay from the tram stop. It was a lot farther than I believe it must have been before. About 3/4 of a mile.

Thanks folks for your reviews, and warnings. Did all of you make ressies ahead or just turn up and pay. This seems like our kinda place (we aren't big drinkers and are willing to walk a bit to get away from thr hustle bustle). Another question, their website mentions bike rentals, we would love to ride along the malecon- dis any of you notice these?

Thanks Crew Sweeper and Mitsugirl for your photos and maps!

Thanks folks for your reviews, and warnings. Did all of you make ressies ahead or just turn up and pay. This seems like our kinda place (we aren't big drinkers and are willing to walk a bit to get away from thr hustle bustle). Another question, their website mentions bike rentals, we would love to ride along the malecon- dis any of you notice these?

Thanks Crew Sweeper and Mitsugirl for your photos and maps!

Yep, they have bike rentals. There's a package you can buy for the day that includes the bike rental, snorkeling equipment and maybe kayaks or something? I can't remember but you can look on their site and see what all it has. We didn't do it because we have our own snorkeling equipment and our young daughter wouldn't have been able to do the bikes with us.

They have tons of bikes

PB130081%20copy-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...