Quantas carry on weight limit

rcandkc

We are flying Quantas to Sydney from US. I just looked up their carry on restrictions and it says typical dimensions but only 15 pounds. That is nothing. I'm I reading this wrong? I hope so. That would make it hard to have a couple outfits plus "must have" items in carry on. My carry on is proper size and light weight, but 15 pounds is shocking to us.

Agree that the limit is quite low. Perhaps someone can tell you if they actually weigh your carry-on luggage (I don't recall if they did when we flew from Sydney to Vancouver 3 years ago). Australia does have "different" requirements than the rest of the world.

Due to the low weight restrictions in general, I just purchased an International Traveler carry-on similar to this http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/worlds-lightest-8-wheel-22-inch-carry-on/323001?productid=10470274 (actually, the one I purchased is a few ounces heavier). I plan on putting clothing in the new carry-on and other necessities in my second carry-on. I'm hoping to keep both carry-on's under 20 pounds (but could probably do 15 if I had to)

I believe that if you are in business or first or have status with QF you are allowed 2 x 7 kgs. We fly QF frequently long haul and always taken 2 pieces of hand luggage each ( we have status and fly business) .

Yes they are strict about weight and size. Have had our hand luggage weighed many times. But not every time.

I think it's written in detail on their web site to confirm this.

Yes 15 lbs is it. We fly regularly with just carry on luggage for a few days travel to Sydney and can have 2-3 sets of clothes, shoes and toiletries and still be under. Never been checked but that depends on the airline and what they are carrying, ie if they have lots of freight on board they may well weigh hand luggage, but that would be a rarity rather than the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you realise that you can take on checked luggage at no cost?

Economy class with no status 2 pieces up to 23kg (50lb)each

Higher for pax with status or in business or first.

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en

We always buy up big when we get to a Qantas port in the US as the baggage limit is so much higher than US airlines.

If you are keen to only take hand luggage, could you check it in when you get to your US/Qantas departure port. Qantas has never lost my bags on any flight to or from Australia (touch wood!)

Edited by lucymorgan

I would recheck with Qantas as usually on flights too and from the states you have have 2 checked bags that are 22kg each. That's what it's been with me previously but once you get to Australia you can only have 1 checked piece that is 22kg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not worried about checked bags. We will have 2.. one a piece and we are allowed 3. I'm used to carrying on a certain amount ( totally within proper dimensions) in case of lost or delayed luggage. It doesn't take much to get to 15 pounds. If I had not researched it we would have been caught off guard. When I told husband he thought I had maybe misunderstood so wrote here to verify. Thanks.

British Airways are one of the few with no weight limit.
Technically, BA does have a weight limit, although for most people it's academic. No cabin bag can weigh more than 23 kg (50 lb) - but as there is a further requirement that you yourself must be able to lift your cabin bag and place it into the overhead, only the strongest people would be able to make use of the full 23 kg bag allowance.
... Cathy Pacific ...
While on the subject of obscure airlines, who she? ;)

I'm not worried about checked bags. We will have 2.. one a piece and we are allowed 3. I'm used to carrying on a certain amount ( totally within proper dimensions) in case of lost or delayed luggage. It doesn't take much to get to 15 pounds. If I had not researched it we would have been caught off guard. When I told husband he thought I had maybe misunderstood so wrote here to verify. Thanks.

Well, it is what it is and you do have to comply. Use this as an exercise to purge your carryon of all the "what if" stuff. When you go to put this in the bag, ask "do I really NEED this item within the first 24 hours??" and "is this something I can put in the checked bag instead." For your "emergency" clothes, choose something very lightweight specifically for the carryon. How much "what if" clothes do you pack in that carryon anyway? Is there something that you bring in your carryon that you could actually purchase at your embarkation port? If you have to drop weight, these are questions you must ask.

A carry on weight of 7 KG (15 pounds) is common with many airlines in the southern hemisphere. In conjunction with the two check-in bags, I find it perfectly reasonable and much preferable to the ridiculously large carry-on limits of some US airlines.

Having smaller, lighter carry-on bags makes it much easier for boarding and disembarking and prevents people from carrying on everything but the kitchen sink.

I have been bashed too many times by the excessively numerous, large or heavy carry-on baggage of other passengers to have any sympathy for people who can't comply with 7KG weight restriction.

Americans are the only ones who seem to think they must take everything including the kitchen sink; elsewhere in the world people tend to pack MUCH lighter and many non-US based airlines do have strict carry on baggage limits.

I'll second the suggestion to ditch all the "just in case" stuff. You are traveling to a first world country and anything you NEED for your trip should be readily available at a department store or pharmacy upon arrival. Take ONE extra outfit, Rx meds, and maybe a few travel size toiletries of your most essential cosmetics and a day's worth of any OTC meds that you take with any regularity, and of course your phone and charger and travel documents. If your luggage happens to get delayed, you'll have what you need to get by for a day or two until it either catches up with you or get to a store and replace a few things.

If you limit yourself and still find you are over the weight limit, you likely have a heavy bag. By that I mean a bag that weighs a lot by itself, before you fill it. There are some great super lightweight bags on the market that barely weigh anything empty.

Technically, BA does have a weight limit, although for most people it's academic. No cabin bag can weigh more than 23 kg (50 lb) - but as there is a further requirement that you yourself must be able to lift your cabin bag and place it into the overhead, only the strongest people would be able to make use of the full 23 kg bag allowance.While on the subject of obscure airlines, who she? ;)

I am not Superwoman but can easily and safely lift a 50 pound bag over my head. But then again my workouts are 90% core and upper body, including grip strength. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not Superwoman but can easily and safely lift a 50 pound bag over my head. But then again my workouts are 90% core and upper body, including grip strength. ;)
In which case, it's time for the other British Airways cabin baggage challenge: Can you actually get a regulation-size bag to weigh 23 kg / 50 lb? It requires packing some pretty dense stuff in it!

In which case, it's time for the other British Airways cabin baggage challenge: Can you actually get a regulation-size bag to weigh 23 kg / 50 lb? It requires packing some pretty dense stuff in it!

I've only flown them international First, so it hasn't been an issue. They don't seem to care how much stuff an international F pax hauls on, and trip over each other to stow it for you. ;)

To your question, I have a 20" roll on and have never gotten it over around 40 pounds. That would be flying for work and shoving my laptop into it as well.

To your question, I have a 20" roll on and have never gotten it over around 40 pounds. That would be flying for work and shoving my laptop into it as well.
Indeed. I suspect that you have to be a gold smuggler or similar to get a regulation size bag to weigh as much as 50 lb.

Cameras, jewelry, watches, electronics, spare batteries, lithium powerpacks. All dense and all barred from checked baggage.

For leisure travel I have about 10 pounds of camera gear (DSLR with grip, 18-200 zoom lens, 50 mm f/1.8 prime, charger, card wallet with a dozen CF cards), my iPad and charger, iPhone and charger, jewelry is maybe a pound at most, watch is on my wrist. So that's about 15 pounds.

Thank all for advise. I have a regulation carry on. I usually take 2 or 3 changes of clothes. I cannot just go buy clothes. All have to be shortened due to my height restrictions 😳. I've weighed it empty and it weighs 8 pounds. It is a hard side. Going shopping for lighter and some what smaller than 22 inch today.

It's still hard to get a regulation size cabin bag up to 50 lb, though, even with lots of this sort of stuff.

Agreed, though I tend to get into the 30+ range with all of this.

One time, I put a marble figure in a carryon - it ended up deforming the roller wheel alignment. That was probably the only time it exceeded 50lbs.