Long layover, can you leave the airport?

Straitlover

I am thinking of getting the Alaska Air CC for the miles to be able to fly RDU - ANC (one way) as was suggested on a prior thread I started. The RDU-SEA portion leaves at 5:38 PM & gets to SEA around 8:30 PM, the only option it give me when using miles. If I picked that flight and pick the SEA - ANC connecting flight that leaves at 8:05 AM the next morning, can we leave the airport and get a hotel room near the airport for the night? I don't know if I want to get to ANC at midnight or later. I've never had a long layover before, so I don't know the rules. I won't have enough points to book them as separate flights, so that's not an option.

There are earlier RDU flights, but they are codeshare flights on American, but those are not listed when I choose Use Miles, so I'm assuming that's the issue, that the flight from RDU is American and not Alaska. Is that the case?

EDIT: I just checked some other dates, and it did give me a flight w/ a codeshare flight on Delta, so maybe they are just out of codeshare flights on the first day I picked. Wonder how soon I need to book to get three miles seats in June 2018 on earlier flights???

Edited by Straitlover

I am thinking of getting the Alaska Air CC for the miles to be able to fly RDU - ANC (one way) as was suggested on a prior thread I started. The RDU-SEA portion leaves at 5:38 PM & gets to SEA around 8:30 PM, the only option it give me when using miles. If I picked that flight and pick the SEA - ANC connecting flight that leaves at 8:05 AM the next morning, can we leave the airport and get a hotel room near the airport for the night? I don't know if I want to get to ANC at midnight or later. I've never had a long layover before, so I don't know the rules. I won't have enough points to book them as separate flights, so that's not an option.

There are earlier RDU flights, but they are codeshare flights on American, but those are not listed when I choose Use Miles, so I'm assuming that's the issue, that the flight from RDU is American and not Alaska. Is that the case?

EDIT: I just checked some other dates, and it did give me a flight w/ a codeshare flight on Delta, so maybe they are just out of codeshare flights on the first day I picked. Wonder how soon I need to book to get three miles seats in June 2018 on earlier flights???

The RDU-SEA flight is on Alaska Airlines planes. The earlier flights on American probably aren't available for use with Alaska miles because they don't have open seats for award passengers, plus they likely would "cost" more Alaska miles than the Alaska flight.

Alaska is ending its mileage and codeshare relationships with Delta this summer, so don't try for any Delta flights using Alaska miles.

Of course you can leave the airport. There are numerous inexpensive hotels near Seatac with free shuttles. When you check in, make sure your bags are tagged to SEA and not ANC if you need them that night. (I would probably retrieve them rather than leaving them overnight in Alaska's custody, although that's probably safe enough anyway.)

For bookings in June 2018, you won't be able to make any reservations - award or otherwise - until at least July of this year - 330 days out.

I would just add, you never know when or if award seats will be available. Just start checking when the window opens. Flight schedules for 2018 may be different then for 2017.

I don't think Alaska will keep your bags overnight; I've always had to pick them up and recheck, but you'll probably want them anyway.

I find, at least with UA, when I book early, it's guaranteed there will be schedule changes!

You may absolutely leave the airport and find a hotel when you have a long connection time. You just have to do the TSA Theatre stop again when you return.

For any checked luggage: I can only offer anecdotal information based on my own travels. The one flight I did on AA where I had a 10 hour connection time (DFW-LHR-NBO) - the airline held the checked bags and transferred to the new flight (and new airline, Kenya Airways LHR-NBO). My other flights have been on SkyTeam - Delta, Air France, Alitalia. Even with a 23 hour connection at CDG, my bags were held and transferred.

You can "short check" a bag if you want - just be absolutely sure of the routing tag on the bag BEFORE you allow it to go onto the belt!!!

P.S. if you have an AMEX Platinum or Centurion (aka "the Black Card"), be sure to stop into the Centurion Studio for a snack and a drink!

Edited by slidergirl

From the AS website baggage page:

If your trip includes more than one flight on Alaska Airlines and/or one of our airline partners, we will check your bags to the final destination on your ticket as long as there are fewer than 12 hours between flights.

If you will be in the connecting city for 12 hours or longer, you will need to claim and re-check your baggage. Additional baggage fees may apply.

The overnighting provision is allowed because ANC is considered "international" for connection times. For most USA destinations, you only get a four hour connection window (or first flight out if that's longer than 4 hours). ANC gets you up to 24 hours without "breaking" the fare construction. However, as noted, you must reclaim bags if your AS connect is longer than 12 hours.

Alaska is ending its mileage and codeshare relationships with Delta this summer, so don't try for any Delta flights using Alaska miles.

If booked by April 30, 2017 you can certainly use Alaska Air miles to book award flights on Delta and v.v. If there happens to be a schedule change between time of booking and date of departure and you can no longer use the airline booked, the airline whose miles you used will rebook you onto their own planes or refund your miles.

Thanks for all the great information. I plan to apply for the card in late June-Early July so I can cancel it before the second year starts (don't want to pay another annual fee). There aren't enough flights out of RDU on Alaska that I would want to keep it for another trip somewhere else.

I would probably like for them to check my bags all the way through. We can pack PJs in our carry ons ( I usually do that anyway in case my bags get lost). Less to deal with the next morning.

I would rather get the Chase Sapphire card w/ the 50,000 miles, but you have to charge $4,000 in the first three months, and there's no way I will be able to do that. I might be buying some furniture in 2018 or 2019, so I may get it then.

Thanks again!

I would rather get the Chase Sapphire card w/ the 50,000 miles, but you have to charge $4,000 in the first three months, and there's no way I will be able to do that.

Lots of ways that can be met. Put the following on auto-pay to your credit card:

Electric bill

Water bill

Gas bill

Sewer bill

Trash bill

Cable bill

Phone bill

Cell phone bill

Now put all your groceries on the credit card. Ditto with gasoline. Meals out. Fast food.

And if one of the auto-pay list items doesn't take credit cards, pay them through Plastique. You'll pay a service charge, but it will count towards your credit card spend.

I think you will find that $1333 per month is not that out of reach when you go all-in with the card. Just be sure to pay it off every month so you don't get hammered with interest charges.

(Now, for the cards that want $10k of spend, or $30k to receive elite status, that's a different question.)

Thanks for all the great information. I plan to apply for the card in late June-Early July so I can cancel it before the second year starts (don't want to pay another annual fee). There aren't enough flights out of RDU on Alaska that I would want to keep it for another trip somewhere else.

I would probably like for them to check my bags all the way through. We can pack PJs in our carry ons ( I usually do that anyway in case my bags get lost). Less to deal with the next morning.

I would rather get the Chase Sapphire card w/ the 50,000 miles, but you have to charge $4,000 in the first three months, and there's no way I will be able to do that. I might be buying some furniture in 2018 or 2019, so I may get it then.

Thanks again!

Your choice of course, but be advised that Alaska miles are very versatile and can be earned and used on numerous airlines including several Oneworld and Sky Team members (British Airways, American Airlines, Air France/KLM, Cathay Pacific, JAL, Lan, Qantas, Korean...) as well as independents like Icelandair and Emirates.

The other feature of the Alaska card is an annual companion certificate - one passenger pays the going price, the other pays $99 plus taxes (I think a total of $121) for any itinerary that's on Alaska planes. So that could include anywhere on the west coast, Alaska, Hawaii, or many places in Mexico and Canada. It can be a major perk, easily overcoming the annual credit card fee.

Lots of ways that can be met. Put the following on auto-pay to your credit card:

Electric bill

Water bill

Gas bill

Sewer bill

Trash bill

Cable bill

Phone bill

Cell phone bill

Now put all your groceries on the credit card. Ditto with gasoline. Meals out. Fast food.

And if one of the auto-pay list items doesn't take credit cards, pay them through Plastique. You'll pay a service charge, but it will count towards your credit card spend.

I think you will find that $1333 per month is not that out of reach when you go all-in with the card. Just be sure to pay it off every month so you don't get hammered with interest charges.

(Now, for the cards that want $10k of spend, or $30k to receive elite status, that's a different question.)

I must have cheap bills :D

Electric bill 65.00

Water bill 20.00

Gas bill 0.00 (don't have)

Sewer bill 0.00 (don't have)

Trash bill 0.00 (don't have, buy a sticker once a year)

Cable bill 0.00 (don't have)

Phone bill 81.00 (landline & internet)

Cell phone bill 0.00 (don't have, use Tracfone and buy annual plan, just did that last week)

My food budget is 200.00/month, gas for my vehicle is around 150.00/month, misc/spending money budget is 200.00. All that adds up to $716.00.

What is Plastique? I can't pay my mortgage ($800 per month) or HOA fees ($678 per quarter) by CC. If I could do those, that would put me over.

I must have cheap bills :D

Electric bill 65.00

Water bill 20.00

Gas bill 0.00 (don't have)

Sewer bill 0.00 (don't have)

Trash bill 0.00 (don't have, buy a sticker once a year)

Cable bill 0.00 (don't have)

Phone bill 81.00 (landline & internet)

Cell phone bill 0.00 (don't have, use Tracfone and buy annual plan, just did that last week)

My food budget is 200.00/month, gas for my vehicle is around 150.00/month, misc/spending money budget is 200.00. All that adds up to $716.00.

What is Plastique? I can't pay my mortgage ($800 per month) or HOA fees ($678 per quarter) by CC. If I could do those, that would put me over.

You can also just charge your daily expenses. (lunch, coffee, movie tickets etc etc etc) Those $10 changes add up pretty quick over the course of the month. I charge everything and make multiple cc payments each week. (I basically pay stuff off as soon as it hits and clears the card). Instead of $10 for lunch of the debit card where I get nothing, I get 15 (I usually use my United club card where i get 1.5 miles per $ spent) miles closer to my next flight.

Thanks again!

Don't you need to pay for the cruise itself and wouldn't that charge put you well on your way to a $4000 spend.

Your choice of course, but be advised that Alaska miles are very versatile and can be earned and used on numerous airlines including several Oneworld and Sky Team members (British Airways, American Airlines, Air France/KLM, Cathay Pacific, JAL, Lan, Qantas, Korean...) as well as independents like Icelandair and Emirates.

The other feature of the Alaska card is an annual companion certificate - one passenger pays the going price, the other pays $99 plus taxes (I think a total of $121) for any itinerary that's on Alaska planes. So that could include anywhere on the west coast, Alaska, Hawaii, or many places in Mexico and Canada. It can be a major perk, easily overcoming the annual credit card fee.

This is a good point. The companion fare easily makes up for the annual fee if you use it each year, as you'll probably shave $200-400 off the companion ticket depending on where you go. And it can even be used for Hawaii!!! This saved us about $700 when we went to Hawaii and was the reason we originally got the card. Kept it because of the companion fare!

Yes, you can leave the airport and get a hotel, and yes you will need to collect your luggage and re-check it the next day. We have done this several times in Seattle as we live in middle of nowhere Wyoming and don't have many flights to choose from. Each person gets one checked bag free w/ the Alaska Airlines credit card so no worries about having to pay twice.

What about insurance? I often pay my car insurance, homeowners insurance and flood insurance (all State Farm) with a credit card for the points, and then pay it off. I know insurance varies widely, but for me that's almost $4k/year all in all.

What about insurance? I often pay my car insurance, homeowners insurance and flood insurance (all State Farm) with a credit card for the points, and then pay it off. I know insurance varies widely, but for me that's almost $4k/year all in all.

My health ins alone almost gets me to that amount. (The joys of being self employed :rolleyes:).

Mine are not all due within the 3 month period, and I don't think I can pre-pay any of them. My car ins runs about $275 - $300/6months, and my homeowners insurance is is $600 something (can't remember exact amount). No flood insurance. I do have condo insurance (vacation home), but it's due at a separate time, too.

I need to figure out that Plastiq so I can use it to pay my electric bill and HOA fees. If I can apply and get the card at just the right time, I might be able to just barely get over the $4K. Wonder when I should apply so I would receive the card and the 3-month period would start around May 1st???

Don't you need to pay for the cruise itself and wouldn't that charge put you well on your way to a $4000 spend.

The cruise (on HAL) is not until June 2018. We haven't saved up enough yet to pay that much of it off so soon. Besides, we were hoping to use my sister's Carnival Card to earn 2X points to apply towards the cost of the cruise. Trying to be greedy I guess :D.

See, if my sister would win us some money on the lottery, we wouldn't have to go through all this, LOL! ;p

The cruise (on HAL) is not until June 2018. We haven't saved up enough yet to pay that much of it off so soon. Besides, we were hoping to use my sister's Carnival Card to earn 2X points to apply towards the cost of the cruise. Trying to be greedy I guess :D.

See, if my sister would win us some money on the lottery, we wouldn't have to go through all this, LOL! ;p

I think everybody on this forum would agree that when it comes to Credit Card rewards that the Carnival Card is among the worst in terms of reward.

The redemption value of their funpoints is 1.0 cents per point so even if you got 2X points on a $3000.00 cruise you only get back $60.00.

There are so many better ways to use that spend.