American Airlines Seat Selection

zjc

Hello

I have a flight booked with my cruise LHR > MIA

The flights are booked on AA and I can log into the reservation on their website.

However when I go to select seats it won't let me and just says my itinerary remains unchanged.

Am I not able to select seats until the booking has been paid for and the flights are ticketed?

Or should I be able to select the seats at any time just like I could if I booked the AA flights myself?

Thanks

ZJC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a flight booked with my cruise LHR > MIA
Which still leaves much to be clarified.

Was this air provided by your cruiseline, booked by your travel agent, or some kind of independent arrangements? Do you have a ticket number along with a locator, or just that?

Details, details, details.....because each of the above situations may have different answers.

Until then, the answer is......HERE. Or HERE.

The flights are booked via royal Caribbean there in with the cruise fare. They sorted it I just got the times through.

The flight number is BA but the flight is operated by AA.

I have found my AA booking reference but it won't let me select any seat that requires an additional payment such as preferred seats.

The flights are booked via royal Caribbean there in with the cruise fare. They sorted it I just got the times through.

The flight number is BA but the flight is operated by AA.

I have found my AA booking reference but it won't let me select any seat that requires an additional payment such as preferred seats.

You need to get your BA booking number from RCI and then go into the BA site to select the seats. You can not do this on the AA site, and you can not do this on the BA site without their booking number.

I have been able to select the seats via AA just cannot choose any seats that require payment :/

Your ticket might be in a fare bucket that doesn't allow any upgrades or changes. Have you phoned BA to see if they can manually override the impediment?

I spoke to AA who told me that as the booking hasn't been ticketed I cannot choose any a seats that require an additional payment I am only permitted to pick seats which are "free"

I spoke to AA who told me that as the booking hasn't been ticketed I cannot choose any a seats that require an additional payment I am only permitted to pick seats which are "free"

Like I said, have you called BA?

By the way, if it hasn't been ticketed, the seat selection you make now will quite possibly be changed when it is ticketed.

Edited by ducklite

I called AA they said they can deal with it and I don't need to go via BA

That contradicts what you previously wrote--that they can't book those seats for you.

No It doesn't AA said they can book me any seat that doesn't cost which is the majority of the plane.

They cannot book me a seat which costs such as main cabin extra as the booking hasn't been ticketed.

No It doesn't AA said they can book me any seat that doesn't cost which is the majority of the plane.

They cannot book me a seat which costs such as main cabin extra as the booking hasn't been ticketed.

Call me confused.

You want seats that have an extra cost.

AA can't book them.

You haven't called BA to see if they can.

Am I correct so far?

If so, why not call BA to see if you can book the added fare seats you want? If you wait, they will very likely be sold out from under you.

I don't know the details of AA's seating policies, but this is not an uncommon policy amongst airlines. In some cases, you can't even pick a "no charge" seat until your ticket has been issued.

If this is what AA's policy is, then you will just have to wait until your ticket is issued. If the flight is part of a fly-cruise package, then that may well be about 4 weeks or so before departure date.

Call me confused.

You want seats that have an extra cost.

AA can't book them.

You haven't called BA to see if they can.

Am I correct so far?

If so, why not call BA to see if you can book the added fare seats you want? If you wait, they will very likely be sold out from under you.

BA don't have anything to do with the ticket, I rang them and explained but they said it should all be done via Americans websites.

As Globaliser says some airlines have a policy where you cannot choose seats at all until the flight is ticketed and I have had this issue before.

I guess I have to save myself the £190 and just sit in one of there 3 seats near the window.

BA don't have anything to do with the ticket, I rang them and explained but they said it should all be done via Americans websites.

As Globaliser says some airlines have a policy where you cannot choose seats at all until the flight is ticketed and I have had this issue before.

I guess I have to save myself the £190 and just sit in one of there 3 seats near the window.

I recently booked a flight through AA/US on BA. I couldn't select my seats through US/AA, I had to get them from BA. This is how I know what you've been told is incorrect. It's possible that you won't be able to get the seats until the flight is ticketed, but it was my very recent experience (less than 30 days ago) that my seats had to be booked through BA, not AA/US when traveling on BA metal.

I don't know the details of AA's seating policies, but this is not an uncommon policy amongst airlines. In some cases, you can't even pick a "no charge" seat until your ticket has been issued.

If this is what AA's policy is, then you will just have to wait until your ticket is issued. If the flight is part of a fly-cruise package, then that may well be about 4 weeks or so before departure date.

No true of most US airlines.

With AA you cannot book any upgrades (like their premium econ) or use an upgrade voucher until you are ticketed. That means with most cruise lines paid in full for the cruise and ticket. And will vary from 30 to 60 days from the cruise date when they issue the ticket

Edited by PaulMCO

One lesson from this about cruiseline air: Although your ticket is "booked", it has not been "issued". Which is a world of difference. Until your ticket is actually issued and you have your 13 digit ticket number, you don't have a ticket. You have a promise to ticket you. And as mentioned above, until then, you really only exist in a tangential way to the airline.

Contrast this with a direct ticket purchase. You get your ticket VERY soon after booking (though sometimes this can be tricky with codeshares and/or foreign carriers). ALWAYS be sure that you have an actual ticket number, not just a locator.

Disclaimer: This has happened to FT on award tickets....booked, but no ticket issued. Nowdays, I've had to follow up to make sure that I actually have a ticket. And my knowledge of this came when some years back, I showed up at the airport and found that my "reservation" had never been ticketed. And until it was, I wasn't flying anywhere. Luckily there was time and circumstances to fix it then, but now I never go anywhere without that ticket number along with the locator.

One lesson from this about cruiseline air: Although your ticket is "booked", it has not been "issued". Which is a world of difference. Until your ticket is actually issued and you have your 13 digit ticket number, you don't have a ticket. You have a promise to ticket you. And as mentioned above, until then, you really only exist in a tangential way to the airline.

Contrast this with a direct ticket purchase. You get your ticket VERY soon after booking (though sometimes this can be tricky with codeshares and/or foreign carriers). ALWAYS be sure that you have an actual ticket number, not just a locator.

Disclaimer: This has happened to FT on award tickets....booked, but no ticket issued. Nowdays, I've had to follow up to make sure that I actually have a ticket. And my knowledge of this came when some years back, I showed up at the airport and found that my "reservation" had never been ticketed. And until it was, I wasn't flying anywhere. Luckily there was time and circumstances to fix it then, but now I never go anywhere without that ticket number along with the locator.

This happened just recently to my boss. She had a ticket MCI-SFO on United, booked about a month prior. Showed up at the airport to find out it was never actually ticketed. Not fun to say the least. I told her to ALWAYS make sure you have a ticket number, not just a confirmation code. Always. If you don't see one, call. If they say they can't get it to you, press the issue.