Which wines are in the Silver Package

LindaRochdale

Here's a wine list and anything up to $29 is for the Silver package & up to $45 for Gold.

You can pay the difference for a bottle over $29 without adding an additional tip...you'd pay $2 extra for a $31 bottle of wine.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372694&d=1452007348

The 12 bottle Gold package with wines up to $45 for $28 per bottle is my best option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Here's a wine list and anything up to $29 is for the Silver package & up to $45 for Gold.

You can pay the difference for a bottle over $29 without adding an additional tip...you'd pay $2 extra for a $31 bottle of wine.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372694&d=1452007348

The 12 bottle Gold package with wines up to $45 for $28 per bottle is my best option.

Thank you for your speedy, helpful reply, I will consider both packages.

Thank you for your speedy, helpful reply, I will consider both packages.

You're welcome & in my experience availability can vary. It's generally accepted that it's available on some cruises (subject to having sufficient inventory) longer than 7 days but a few have posted getting it on 7 day cruises.

I purchase it from my dining room servers because they get us our wine & there's apparently some incentive for them (possibly extra time off which they greatly appreciate). I've had other staff say it's not available & wanted to sell me the $57/day All-Inclusive Drink Package but my dining room servers were happy to sell me a wine package. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

You're welcome & in my experience availability can vary. It's generally accepted that it's available on some cruises (subject to having sufficient inventory) longer than 7 days but a few have posted getting it on 7 day cruises.

I purchase it from my dining room servers because they get us our wine & there's apparently some incentive for them (possibly extra time off which they greatly appreciate). I've had other staff say it's not available & wanted to sell me the $57/day All-Inclusive Drink Package but my dining room servers were happy to sell me a wine package. :)

Are you able to get that package on 7 day cruises too? I thought I read somewhere it was only on 10+ days. HMMM. Got me thinking.

Are you able to get that package on 7 day cruises too? I thought I read somewhere it was only on 10+ days. HMMM. Got me thinking.

I've read about the 10 day limit but have also read posts from a few people who said they got it on a 7-day cruise.

How things are done on Princess can sometimes vary...particularly when it's something like the wine packages which are not shown anywhere on the Princess website. Besides the actual wine card, I've only once seen a copied pamphlet in the MDR but there was no statement on when it's available.

It wouldn't hurt to ask but since it's never been available on any of my 7-day cruises I don't plan on it & will bring my wine and pay corkage instead.

Our cruise is 18 nights from Singapore to Sydney. As we are flying from UK, I doubt that we will be able to buy wine at a reasonable cost in Singapore to take on the ship. It will be much easier to get the package on the ship and especially nice if our waiters can benefit from our purchase.

Got off Royal Princess 4 weeks ago and we had the silver (10 bottles) wine package costing $241.50 (inc gratuities).

I was pleasantly surprised with the choice for bottles $29 and under, but we ended up mostly drinking the white Blackstone S/Blanc and Ruffino Orvieto.

Watch you don't lose the card or that the waiters incorrectly punch it!

We also had a bottle of Nicolas Feuillatte champagne with a list price of $60 and only paid the difference of $31 (so no $9 gratuity added on top).

Do these Silver & Gold packages appear on the Princess website - I have searched for them however unable to locate the details?

I am specifically interested in the 12-bottle Gold package which sounds like good value and would prefer to see the package details "in writing" in case someone tries to tell me onboard it doesn't exist (like that could ever happen right??? ;) )

Thanks

Ando

Edited by Ando

How things are done on Princess can sometimes vary...particularly when it's something like the wine packages which are not shown anywhere on the Princess website. Besides the actual wine card, I've only once seen a copied pamphlet in the MDR but there was no statement on when it's available.

Do these Silver & Gold packages appear on the Princess website - I have searched for them however unable to locate the details?

I am specifically interested in the 12-bottle Gold package which sounds like good value and would prefer to see the package details "in writing" in case someone tries to tell me onboard it doesn't exist (like that could ever happen right??? ;) )

Thanks

Ando

No & when asked why they said because it's not always available & is based on having sufficient inventory of wine. Here's the description from the wine card:

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit

Edited by Astro Flyer

No & when asked why they said because it's not always available & is based on having sufficient inventory of wine. Here's the description from the wine card:

Thanks so much for your detailed information :)

I wonder what the chances are of it being offered on the Pacific Princes for a 17 day transatlantic.

I guess I will pick up a couple of bottles in Rome to take on at embarkation, just in case. Since there's a port day in Barcelona, and there's a wine shop in the cruise terminal there, that could be another opportunity if the package isn't offered.

I wonder what the chances are of it being offered on the Pacific Princes for a 17 day transatlantic.

I guess I will pick up a couple of bottles in Rome to take on at embarkation, just in case. Since there's a port day in Barcelona, and there's a wine shop in the cruise terminal there, that could be another opportunity if the package isn't offered.

It's been available on all of our TA cruises since the wine package was implemented several years ago. :)

I think the odds are good that it'll be available but would have the same backup plan just in case they lacked sufficient wine inventory to offer it.

It's been available on all of our TA cruises since the wine package was implemented several years ago. :)

I think the odds are good that it'll be available but would have the same backup plan just in case they lacked sufficient wine inventory to offer it.

The possible inadequate inventory of my preferred choices is one of my concerns, as I have had that happen on a past TA, and is the reason for a Plan B.

You shouldn't have a problem getting wine in Rome or Barcelona. I think we may have a problem as our ship sails from Southhampton to Sydney but we only get on in Singapore. The wine onboard may be a bit depleted by then, I may need to come up with a plan B too. Does anyone know if there is a wine shop at the cruise terminal in Singapore?

Love this web site, so many people helping complete strangers to enjoy their holidays. Thank you all.

• 6 months later...
On the crown between feb15 and mar 20....a b2b and the wine package was not available. Was not offered on my grand princess 15 day to Hawaii last year

Does anyone know the logic of the inconsistencies?

I have found that the consistent thing is that they are very inconsistent when it comes to their policies like this.

For example, prior to our recent B2B cruise on the Regal I had the same questions about the wine package availability being that it was really 2 - 7 day cruises. Most of the responses I got here on CC were that I could not get the package based on others experiences.

When we went, I inquired about the package in the main dining room and explained that I was on a back to back cruise and would be there for 14 nights. Once they verified this they said no problem and sold me the wine package. Another couple we were traveling with also got the package. So I guess it depends??

I have not cruised from US mainland to Hawaii but I do know that there are some "rules" on Hawaiian cruises (and this may be only for Hawaii only cruises, like Pride of America) where drink packages are not allowed. Again, this may be for only certain cruises?

Has anyone recently sailed on Crown Princess and bought this package. We will be sailing 13.05.17 and are on board for 14 nights.

As you can discover in the other posts the wine policy can vary...if booked as a 14-day cruise then yes but it's subject to having sufficient inventory; if B2B 7-day cruises then maybe yes but more likely no.

My most recent Crown cruise was a 7-day CA Coastal last April & we couldn't get a wine package. On the Star's 14-day roundtrip LA to Hawaii in January we were able to purchase a wine package.

Once on a 17-day TA cruise the headwaiter at Alfredo's Pizzeria said wine packages were unavailable but he was eager to sell me the expensive AIBP package which is far from being cost effective for me. Our dining room staff were happy to sell us a wine package & since they'll provide our wine we prefer to purchase it from them.

Wine packages should be available on most 10+ day cruises & if someone tells you no then I'd ask someone else.

We are on a 14 day cruise on the Crown in July this year, I like wine and on holiday I would estimate that I would drink around a bottle of wine on a sea day but perhaps only a couple of glasses on a port day so perhaps a wine package would be prefarable to the all inclusive package as its almost double!

I really enjoyed my 7 bottle Gold wine card on our recent 15 cruise on the Island. Having heard about it on this board, I picked up the brochure card first day at lunch in HC. Was still debating about it, until I wanted a $40 dollar of wine at dinner in MDR, so bought the card on the spot. Knowing I could have wines up to $45 gave me some nice selections (I am a long time wino from NorCal).

Something good to know.... If you do buy the card, keep track of it and the punches. I got punched twice at one of the specialty restaurants, so made the Maitre D give me a new card. Also, know that you can transfer that bottle between the MDR, Horizons and the specialty DR's. I ended up keeping a nice bottle of Sancerre at Horizons for my lunchtime glass and a good red in the MDR. It just felt decadent!! A few times, they tried to "help" and moved a bottle or kept it somewhere other than where specified, but always retrieved it when I asked.

Edited by Sackat60
correction

• 1 month later...

I am on the Crown at the end of July for 14 days, from this thread I gather I should be able to get this package

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

so $169.05 with the tip, working out at $24.15 per bottle.

My last cruise was with P&O (less than 2 weeks ago) and on there the cheapest bottle (which I liked) cost £14 so am a bit shocked by the Princess prices. From what I gather if bought individually the cheapest bottle of Merlot (Puerto Viejo) would be $31.05 inc tip or £23.88. So considerably more expensive. Also this was from a Nov. 2015 wine list so it could have gone up.

However what if I can't get through the 7 bottles? I only got through 5 bottles on the last cruise in the MDR in 14 nights!

Can you take any unconsumed bottles home or could I order a bottle for my cabin?

I do like sparkling wine (i'm not a connoisseur) I see they have Korbel Brut for $28 (again from a Nov. 2015 wine list). I know this retails in the US for approx $12 so is it drinkable!