Syracuse Amtrak station

Cruising out of Manhattan..

Want to take train from syracuse day before. Looking for a park and leave car motel near the station...any ideas?

You may want to post this on the Departure Ports also.

Cruising out of Manhattan..

Want to take train from syracuse day before. Looking for a park and leave car motel near the station...any ideas?

Being a previous NY resident & using Amtrak many many times, I've found that parking at Amtrak is still way more cheaper than the airport, but you could try this link; https://onestopparking.com/Syracuse-airport-parking-SYR. Good Luck & have a wonderful trip.

Since Syracuse is so far from the actual "port", probably will not find much in the departures board, but worth a check.

Guessing it would be worth checking to see what parking is at the station. From this map you can see hotels near there. Assuming no big events at the State Fairgrounds, you should be able to find something.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/hotel/@43.0660256,-76.2578338,13.06z

Guessing you are driving a ways to get to Amtrak.

If you can drive another 2 hours east on the NYS Thruway for overnight lodging, Yankees Trails leave across the river from downtown Albany on the morning of - it's then a 3 hour Wi-Fi equipped bus/motorcoach ride direct to MCT for dropoff & luggage transfer. Free parking at YT's terminal in Rensselaer, NY

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2517026

Search or look in the East Coast sub-forum as it's asked & answered many times plus TR/feedback ... perhaps, far more reliable & dependable than Amtrak on the N.E. corridor these days, especially summer & early fall ... with 25% cutback in scheduled trains and unplanned delays & cancellations on top of it all.

We live just outside Syracuse and haven't heard of this option but can keep an ear out. Parking at station may be your best bet. This is kind of out there, but I'd be willing to let you park in my driveway and run you to the station. Seriously, if I'm available on your dates would be happy to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's a new Embassy Suites opening in November located at the Destiny mall which is very close to the Amtrak station. I don't know when your cruise is but if it is after mid-November you may want to give them a call to see if they can accommodate you. That is the closest hotel to the station that I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay and park hotel deals are more commonly found near airports and cruise terminals. Are you trying to avoid the daily rate at the Amtrak station lot? Seven dollars per day in 2014.

I live in Syracuse, and I think it's only up to $8 a day now. I could be wrong, but that's what I paid when I accidentally went over the one-hour limit dropping a friend off for a delayed train back to Buffalo last Christmas. And, if you don't mind sharing what you're paying for the train to NYC, we're first-time cruisers doing exactly what you are in September and trying to decide between the bus and the train the day before.

I would never take Amtrak for a cruise from Syr. It is FREQUENTLY late and you'll be waiting in Albany for some transfers depending what train you book. If you have to take the train, then I'd suggest just driving to Rensselaer since that train has a lot better on time track record, plus more frequent trains.

Of course there is also Megabus, Greyhound, and the longer drive to Poughkeepsi and taking Metro North, where parking is fairly cheap since it's free on weekends.

We are also from Northern Ny, and have cruised out of NYC. I swear by Megabus, but chose out of Albany NY as it allowed more departures, and is a quicker ride to the city. Lately though they don't have good options for the return trip to Rennselaer. Either too early or later than what I'd want to wait. The next time we go I will book Yankee Trails out of Rennselaer. Parking is free. It's a very comfortable motor coach and drops off right at the cruise terminal, as well as picks up right there. I'd probably opt to spend the night in Albany instead of the night in the city like I've done in the past. Seems like it was $90 pp each way. Factor in free parking, and cheaper hotels than what you might find in the city.Good luck!

If you google park sleep and fly there is a website (by that name) that specializes in long term parking at hotels. I don't know if you need the actual "sleep" part, but it is an option.

Sent from my iPad using Forums