Istanbul

gymfreak

Does anyone know where Azamara docks in Istanbul?

We are hoping to visit Topkapı Palace and wondered if this could be within walking distance.

I appreciate any knowledge fellow cruisers may have on this destination

Thank you

Vicki

Topkapi Palace is on the Old Town side of the Bosphorus and Azamara docks on the New Town side. Depending on what shape you are in, it is walkable, we have done it several times. It is about a 30-45 minute walk, with a lot to see along the way. If not, there is a tram that you can take to get there. Taksim Square is on the New Town side. Enjoy Istanbul, it is an incredible City with a lot to see

As others have said just get a tram just outside of the port gates and you have to buy a TOKIM (sp) from one of the machines. So take some Turkish coins with you if you can. Cannot remember the price but it is very cheap for the ride.

There are maps on the stops and you will ride over the bride and then come to the old side of Istanbul.

You can walk as others have said but it is far more comfortable to ride on one of their trams and they are so easy to get around the city.

The tram is the only way to get around Istanbul. Don't even think about a taxi, because the traffic is terrible! But the tram is great -- cheap, smooth, fast, and it goes from where the ships dock to almost every place a tourist would want to go.

Whst about from a hotel

The tram is near many hotels. Again, if you are able to walk, and enjoy doing so, it is a great way to see A LOT of Istanbul. We have, on many occasions, walked from Topkapi through all of the Old Town to the other side of the bridge and up the main street to Taksim Square. It is a long walk, but very doable and again, a great way to see the City

The tram is near many hotels. Again, if you are able to walk, and enjoy doing so, it is a great way to see A LOT of Istanbul. We have, on many occasions, walked from Topkapi through all of the Old Town to the other side of the bridge and up the main street to Taksim Square. It is a long walk, but very doable and again, a great way to see the City

Thanks.. Learning in my research I prefer staying near the water for the beach.

We were there on Quest last September and agree with everything said.

The tram fare had just gone up to 4 Turkish Lire (regardless of distance) and there are ticket machines at every stop. The trams are often just one minute apart and can be busy - but they get you about quickly. Taxis can take 15 minutes to get over the bridge.

Depending on time of the day and everything taxis is an ok option. We got a taxi last year from Taxim Square to the Blue Mosque and the traffic was not too heavy. Mind you this was the only option at that time because of the riots

Thank you for the information. It sounds fasinating, we shall look forward to visiting ,lots to see and do

Thank you

Vicki

Hi Vicky,

Tram is the way to go v easy about a five min walk from port then straight into old city. If you have time just walk around. I did got lost (inevitable) saw some amasong places off the tourist route, found Turks v friendly and helpful. Enjoy.when are you there?

Diane

Hi Vicky,

Tram is the way to go v easy about a five min walk from port then straight into old city. If you have time just walk around. I did got lost (inevitable) saw some amasong places off the tourist route, found Turks v friendly and helpful. Enjoy.when are you there?

Diane

Hi Diane

Thanks for the info. Hope you are well. We are on the reposisitiioning cruise on Quest from Dubai to Istanbul on 6 April. Looking forward to some sunshine.

Have you any plans?

A big thank you to all others who have replied to my query.

Vicki

Hi Diane

Thanks for the info. Hope you are well. We are on the reposisitiioning cruise on Quest from Dubai to Istanbul on 6 April. Looking forward to some sunshine.

Have you any plans?

Vicki

Off to Caribbean on MSC Divina in Feb. Would like to do an Azamara cruise, but singles too expensive at presant. Going to keep looking, maybe something will come up nearer cruise time. D

Hi Diane

Have you any plans?

Vicki

I am on that cruise also. Look for me if you need any information on Istanbul. I love that City

I love Turkey. Four years ago I spent 2 weeks in western Turkey. I wanted to go back. Last week I called my TA about a cruise that went round trip from Istanbul. It looked good, fit my time frame, good price, etc. I was ready to book it when my TA told me to think again. He said that he felt obligated to inform me about the civil unrest in Turkey. Last week in Istanbul there were 3 events that ended in death. Bombs and shootings in malls and police station. I did not book. I have been in other places during unrest. Although I have not been hurt, it can really hamper a vacation. I was in Jerusalem old city when a bomb killed a woman. It still haunts me. I get chills anytime I hear a loud pop. Staying in the USA.

As others have said just get a tram just outside of the port gates and you have to buy a TOKIM (sp) from one of the machines. So take some Turkish coins with you if you can. Cannot remember the price but it is very cheap for the ride.

There are maps on the stops and you will ride over the bride and then come to the old side of Istanbul.

You can walk as others have said but it is far more comfortable to ride on one of their trams and they are so easy to get around the city.

last year the tram costed 3 Turkish Lira, the machine takes notes from 5, 10 and 20 Lira

• 2 weeks later...

Phxazzcruisers,

When you are on your cruise would you be kind enough to ask if all Azamara ships use the same dock. We are sailing from Istanbul on the 6th of August. Our complimentary hotel is a airport hotel and we will be transferred to the ship late morning I believe. We would very much like to visit the spice market before the ship sails. This means getting off pretty much as we get on and any information would help in our planning. We were fortunate enough to be met and shown around by a colleague of my husband when we were in Istanbul on Celebrity Refection 2 years ago and didn't pay as much attention to the port as we ought to have done.

Thank you

I just spent 4 days in Istanbul as part of a River Cruise in October (see AMAPrima review in my signature- it's at the end of the review and also on my blog)

We did see many cruise ships docked on the Bosporus; there is a walkway along the Bosporus where you could walk across the bridge and into the old city. It's not a short walk, as Istanbul is a huge city, but a very walk-able city, we walked for miles. The spice market and New Mosque is right on the banks Golden Horn water way, and would be among the first tourist "sights" you'd come across in the old city if you walk from where the cruise ships dock. It's easy to get a ferry from there too, and cruise the Bosporus. The famous sites of Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque, are further up the hill on the old side of the city, and there is public transit, or you could walk if you don't mind spending a lot of time on your feet and don't mind hills.

To get to the Taksim and the new section from the ships you'd have to walk up a very long steep hill (we are in good shape and did it at the end of a long touring day and it's doable) or take the tram up as others recommend. (we took the tram down...maybe not our smartest move :rolleyes:)

We felt welcome by people in the tourist services and everyone was very helpful, but we were very careful, and used a local guide during our visit.

The tram system is fast, easy to navigate and convenient - it would certainly be my choice.

I would add that anyone choosing the taxi option should have their wits about them - three separate groups on our Journey cruise reported getting ripped off by different scams ( the "I quoted in Euros not Turkish Lira" trick, and also the switcheroo on the higher denomination euro for a lower one when the note was passed over).

I'd normally take stories like these with a grain of salt, but of course with Azamara ships being so small, these were upset people we talked to that same evening.

A great city and so easy to explore. As already mentioned take the tram from directly outside the cruise terminal, it is modern and safe. Get off at the Sultanahmet stop and all the major tourist sights are within a short walk. Do not miss Hagia Sophia, astonishing particularly in relation of age and history of the structure.

If you want to walk back to the ship is is more downhill from there and easy to follow the tramlines, so no chance of getting lost.

If Taksim Square and the modern shopping street of İstiklal Caddesi is your destination it is a bit of a climb directly in front of the cruise terminal, but if you turn right when exiting the terminal and follow the tram lines a short distance to the terminal, there is an underground funicular which takes you directly to Taksim.

Have a great time.

Phxazzcruisers,

When you are on your cruise would you be kind enough to ask if all Azamara ships use the same dock. We are sailing from Istanbul on the 6th of August. Our complimentary hotel is a airport hotel and we will be transferred to the ship late morning I believe. We would very much like to visit the spice market before the ship sails. This means getting off pretty much as we get on and any information would help in our planning. We were fortunate enough to be met and shown around by a colleague of my husband when we were in Istanbul on Celebrity Refection 2 years ago and didn't pay as much attention to the port as we ought to have done.

Thank you

I am pretty sure they all do, but will gladly ask. you can email me at g.rotstein@cox.net if I forget to post the answer here when i get back.