Duct tape

flacousa

How many of you pack duct tape for a cruise, I just put a roll in my luggage for tomorrow's cruise and this is why.

In September we took a cruise on Carnival Liberty to the Caribbean, we booked an inside room and from day one I complained to the cabin steward that the room was extremely cold even after setting thermostat to warmest setting, she called maintenance and we couldn't tell if anyone came to take care of the problem, next day I again complained with the same results, near the end of the cruise I got ugly with her and finally a maintenance man came in to adjust the damper, made no difference so finally after he left I took the grill down and shoved a towel in it and took care of my problem (I removed it on debarkation day). Now I'm prepared if it happens again I'll duct tape the sucker up.

BTW a cruise in August on the same ship the balcony room was hot.

I always bring it! We've used it to hold luggage together when zipper broke on luggage, to tape our pop and water cartons after they tear them open at security. We've also taped around the balcony door because it didn't seal properly and made an annoying whistling noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...after he left I took the grill down and shoved a towel in it and took care of my problem (I removed it on debarkation day). Now I'm prepared if it happens again I'll duct tape the sucker up.

Just a word of caution. Covering vents that are not intended to be covered can create a fire. Restricting airflow will overheat a system. You don't want to do that, specially on a ship or airplane. In my line of work, this practice is prohibited and grounds for termination because of how dangerous it is.

Please don't do that. A cabin that's a bit drafty is a smaller inconvenience than a ship on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How many of you pack duct tape for a cruise, I just put a roll in my luggage for tomorrow's cruise and this is why.

In September we took a cruise on Carnival Liberty to the Caribbean, we booked an inside room and from day one I complained to the cabin steward that the room was extremely cold even after setting thermostat to warmest setting, she called maintenance and we couldn't tell if anyone came to take care of the problem, next day I again complained with the same results, near the end of the cruise I got ugly with her and finally a maintenance man came in to adjust the damper, made no difference so finally after he left I took the grill down and shoved a towel in it and took care of my problem (I removed it on debarkation day). Now I'm prepared if it happens again I'll duct tape the sucker up.

BTW a cruise in August on the same ship the balcony room was hot.

I had a too-warm cabin on a past Carnival cruise, and when the maintenance guy came to check it, he found someone had stuffed stuff in the vent to block off the air flow. So I think you are not the only one to have done that.

It is a shame that a lot of the individual thermostats in the cabins don't seem to do anything so that customers can be comfortable on their vacations.

And no, I do not travel with duct tape. I could see how it could come in handy though with luggage issues while traveling.

Now it stays home with the over the shoe rack, the bungie cord, the highlight marker, the post it notes and everything else that everybody says you "Must Pack".

yup, we have all of those stored along with the rubber ducky inflatable bath tub.

Read on here how it was a "Must Pack". Took it once and never used it. Now it stays home with the over the shoe rack, the bungie cord, the highlight marker, the post it notes and everything else that everybody says you "Must Pack".

Your luck might run out some day;) As you can see in this thread, tape has several potential uses when the need arises.

Read on here how it was a "Must Pack". Took it once and never used it. Now it stays home with the over the shoe rack, the bungie cord, the highlight marker, the post it notes and everything else that everybody says you "Must Pack".

Agreed. Have never needed any of those "must haves". We are looking for ways to pack less, not more.

I never ever take "duct tape" when I travel, and I will never miss it. When it's appropriate, I may take some gaffer's tape. Duct tape is generally of extremely poor quality, and can damage many surfaces. Compared to using gaffer's tape, a duct tape repair is like sticking something together with chewing gum.

Duct tape seems to have some kind of cult following, but I can't think of anything I would ever use it for.

I had a too-warm cabin on a past Carnival cruise, and when the maintenance guy came to check it, he found someone had stuffed stuff in the vent to block off the air flow. So I think you are not the only one to have done that.

It is a shame that a lot of the individual thermostats in the cabins don't seem to do anything so that customers can be comfortable on their vacations.

And no, I do not travel with duct tape. I could see how it could come in handy though with luggage issues while traveling.

I was thinking the same thing, blocked air vent=no air flow=heated system=FIRE! Please people, NEVER block a vent in a cabin on a cruise ship, you may be stranded out in the sea for days or worse:eek:

We have always traveled with it, and have used it to like others have said fix suitcases.

Also we mark the outside of our black soft sided suitcases with designs so we know it is our bag when it comes down the turn around at the airport.

Sea Ya

Just a word of caution. Covering vents that are not intended to be covered can create a fire. Restricting airflow will overheat a system. You don't want to do that, specially on a ship or airplane. In my line of work, this practice is prohibited and grounds for termination because of how dangerous it is.

Please don't do that. A cabin that's a bit drafty is a smaller inconvenience than a ship on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Drafty my S. With the prospect of spending 8 days in an icebox fire would have been a welcome relief (just kidding); unlike hotel's thermostats that actually turn the A/C on and off the ship thermostat only open and closes an inefficient damper.

Amen!

I can't believe (actually I can) that folks pack all these unnecessary items. It's a hotel, which happens to float.

Need duct tape on a ship? Ask your cabin attendant to get you some. Actually, "gaffer" tape would be better and engineering probably has that too. Likewise, a kind request at an airline service or hotel counter will work wonders as well.

On a variety of CC posts, you'll find recommendations to carry alarm clocks, night lights, cameras (with apologies to camera afficianados) and even a DVD player! Modern cell phone/tablet does it all.

And if you keep finding problematic doors, vents, light intrusion, crappy (or non-existent) amenities AND surly cabin attendants on your "preferred" cruise line OR they nickle-dime you for every little thing (e.g., bottled water?), it's time to switch lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums