Walking shoes for Venice

mickeysgal

Ladies...We are in Venice three days pre-cruise. I am planning on wearing long skirts and capris, which usually means I wear flat sandals when I'm here at home. What kind of shoes do you recommend for Venice? Did you wear gym shoes to cope with all the bridges or were your sandals enough?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ladies...We are in Venice three days pre-cruise. I am planning on wearing long skirts and capris, which usually means I wear flat sandals when I'm here at home. What kind of shoes do you recommend for Venice? Did you wear gym shoes to cope with all the bridges or were your sandals enough?

I'm not a big fan of sandals when touring, although for night time walking to a restaurant I often pack a style like fishermen's sandal that cover the toes. In crowded conditions like boarding/leaving a vaporetto, it is easy to get stepped on, and that's a lot easier to take wearing covered shoes. Besides, I don't think sandals give the ankle much support. When I expect to deal with cobblestones or uneven ancient steps or anything where the footing isn't smooth, I choose gym shoe.

New Balance makes different style running shoes that offer different features: cushioning, motion control, minimal, stability. (Don't ask me the difference between motion control and stability.) At any rate, I can happily walk longer on bad pavement when I'm wearing a New Balance motion control shoes.

Wear what is very comfortable. You will look like a tourist no matter what you wear on your feet. Make sure what you wear will be comfortable for all day walking.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Well summarized by the above smart poster. Go for BOTH comfort AND safety. Lots of bridges, steps up and down, uneven pavement, etc., etc. Don't worry or consider fashion as a priority. Forget those needs to have the right or best "look".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

With Venice as one of your future locations, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 40,598 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

The key is not to buy new shoes for the trip. You don't want them rubbing in the wrong spots and causing blisters. I personally fare better in sandals with support like the Clarks. They have a comfy rubber sole, your feet breathe and no nasty blisters. But I agree- these work for me and maybe not someone else.

You will do a considerable amount of walking in Venice but it is flat and no so much "uneven". The pavement is very smooth. Most people will walk one way from the ship to St. Mark's and ferry or vaporetto back or vice versa. I have walked for miles in Venice and it's pretty easy to do because you get lost in the alleys- so good walking shoes do trump fashion.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Good walking sandals should be flat, not a wedge. Also, it should have a back strap, not a slide, so it doesn't fall off accidentally going up or down steps. Flip-flop style sandals can be very uncomfortable and rub between the toes if you are walking for a long time. Good support is essential.

These Merrells are really comfortable:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/33857W/83642/Womens/Agave-2-Lavish?dimensions=0

The Eccos recommended above are very good too. If you can, bring two different pairs of sandals. It is good to alternate. Also, two different styles fit more occasions.

Clarks are good, but I love my Merrell's. I wore my mary janes on a 12 day port intensive cruise in Athens, Turkey & Egypt seeing many ruins. They worked out great. I have bunions so the sandal listed above didn't work for me, sadly. The stupid M for Merrell landed right on my bunion.

I also like my skechers sandals and have worn them on long trips. I don't think they make many sandals anymore; maybe those hiking type. Enjoy your trip!

Shoes are highly specific. What works for one person won't work for another. Merrells are very uncomfortable for me, they just don't fit my foot right.

There are lots of cute (and not so cute) walking shoes out there right now. You are only limited by how much you want to spend and how many options you're willing to try out. Rather than recommend a specific brand, my general tips would be:

-- Bring more than one pair of walking shoes. You never know what may happen if you only bring one pair. They might break, get soaked, or end up being less comfortable than you thought.

-- Only bring shoes that you have already broken in and road tested at home. Walking a few blocks or around the local mall in a pair of shoes is not the same as walking around dusty ruins or cobblestoned city streets for hours (especially if it will be hot).

--

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Sketchers Go Walks for traveling and they're so lighweight and comfortable. QVC has them on clearance right now for $32.14 a pair. I have 4 pair of them in different colors and find them to be more comfortable than my sandals (even Clarks) and my Orthaheel tennis shoes.

a231473.001?$usmedium$

I agree with everything cruisemom42 wrote.

When visiting Europe, I take at minimum two pairs of walking shoes. I prefer to alternate them. Both pairs broken in before we leave. I don't wear sneakers when touring. I don't like the look of them and I find my walking shoes to be more comfortable anyways.

We have always visited Europe in the fall when there was no need for sandals; however, if visiting in the summer or spring I would have had no problems wearing a pair.

Clarks are good, but I love my Merrell's. I wore my mary janes on a 12 day port intensive cruise in Athens, Turkey & Egypt seeing many ruins. They worked out great. I have bunions so the sandal listed above didn't work for me, sadly. The stupid M for Merrell landed right on my bunion.

I also like my skechers sandals and have worn them on long trips. I don't think they make many sandals anymore; maybe those hiking type. Enjoy your trip!

my Merrell's did not hold up like my clarks or Earth Origins. Earth Origins are my favorite for comfort and durability but they are hard to find in my size. I also bring 2-3 pairs of comfortable shoes because cannot wear the same shoes 2 days in a row....odd I know.

I need good, supportive shoes, especially since I had a spinal fusion a few years ago.

I was just in Venice in May and am returning in October. Here is the pair of walking sandals I wore daily and had no issues with:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008J4SC54/ref=twister_B008JE8WUY

Even at home I wear these daily and just throw in my washing machine to clean. Never dry them - just put them outside and they dry quickly.

Then at night to go to dinner I had these and loved them:

http://www.amazon.com/Ahnu-Womens-Maia-Sandal-Black/dp/B008BLHRHO/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1408845330&sr=1-6&keywords=ahnu

Hope you can find what you like. I do also bring gym shoes and wore them some as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sandals are fine.

I would not be seen dead in gym shoes in Italy.

I'm not a big fan of sandals when touring, although for night time walking to a restaurant I often pack a style like fishermen's sandal that cover the toes. In crowded conditions like boarding/leaving a vaporetto, it is easy to get stepped on, and that's a lot easier to take wearing covered shoes. Besides, I don't think sandals give the ankle much support. When I expect to deal with cobblestones or uneven ancient steps or anything where the footing isn't smooth, I choose gym shoe.

New Balance makes different style running shoes that offer different features: cushioning, motion control, minimal, stability. (Don't ask me the difference between motion control and stability.) At any rate, I can happily walk longer on bad pavement when I'm wearing a New Balance motion control shoes.

I plan on wearing my running shoes off the ship and nicer shoes on board. I figure if my runners can get me thru a marathon comfortably then Venice or elsewhere shouldn't be a problem :) I don't care what my feet look like as long as I'm comfortable and feet are protected....