Obstructed view on Princess

pjw0

I am looking at a 2016 cruise and have decided on ocean view. However - when looking at cabin options, the ones in the middle all say "obstructed view" and the price is ~$500 higher per person for a non-obstructed view. Has anyone sailed in an "obstructed view" cabin? How obstructed is it?? That is a huge difference in price based on our budget.

It usually means there is a lifeboat in front of the window. How much of a life boat depends on the specific cabin. Often you can get a good feel from the deck plan. On Princess I was able to select a cabin at the end of the lifeboat, but the cabin next door had their entire view obstructed. You might also look where cabin photos are posted.

I've had "obstructed" cabins several times (all free upgrades from insides) and there was little more than "light" seen with most of them, and the side of a lifeboat :). Not a good choice, IF you are looking for viewing scenery, overall. There are "some" obstructed cabins that are superior, but, you would need to know those specific cabins. If you haven't booked yet- these, many times are the first to go. Would have to see what is still available.

I had an obstructed view cabin on the Coral Princess when I sailed to Alaska and we lucked out! The window was between two lifeboats so our view was unobstructed. I'd definitely look at the deck plans before booking to make sure your window is between two lifeboats so there will be less obstruction.

Obstructed, sailed that, expect to see a life boat with indirect sunlight at best.

If you simply got to see light then pay for it. If you are budget minded go inside and get all the service etc. but save a lot for your excursions.

Obstructed, sailed that, expect to see a life boat with indirect sunlight at best.

If you simply got to see light then pay for it. If you are budget minded go inside and get all the service etc. but save a lot for your excursions.

Not so! I have picked obstructed OV rooms on the Diamond, Grand and Crown, based on the pics on renmar's site. They were all barely obstructed, just as the pics showed. Do check out the site for choosing a great obstructed OV cabins.

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/

(Thanks, Theo !)