Average Bar Bill on the Regal Princess

Beach Lover 64

My husband and I are First time cruisers. We leave out on the Regal Princess on Jan 3rd. I am so excited I cant stand it. I have done a whole lot of research and homework for this cruise. That being said I was wondering with all of the add-ons that they have these days what is everyone's average bar bill at the end of your 7 day cruise. I know that it is subjective. My husband is not much of a drinker and I use to be back in the day not so much these days! I just don't think the all -inclusive is a good fit for us especially because you have to purchase it for the whole week. We will have three ports that we will be visiting. I would just like to get a general idea of what everyone out there spends. I just want to be somewhat prepared and don't want to spend the whole trip counting how many drinks we have had. I hope this does not sound too petty. I am just looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance for your help.

My husband has one to three drinks (>30.00 per day) a day. I use one coffee card per 7 days asea (which is about $33 plus change per card). I drink one large San Pellagrino at dinner each evening (4.95 per day). There is no way that we could ever justify the AIBP. We just pay as we go. Also, for in cabin drinks for my husband, he orders a bottle of his preferred alcoholic bevvie from room service.

A drink runs between $6 and $12 dollars, with the average being about $8 or 9.

Also, if you search around, there is a thread with a beverage calculator on it. This may help you to decide.

My wife and I are also not big drinker's. Both used to be.. not so much any more.

Now.. having said that... we DO have the AIBP for our cruise in two weeks AND next December. Here's why..

We do consume more drinks when we cruise. I like to have a specialty coffee in the morning, as does she. I also like to have a Mimosa AND a Bloody Mary at some point in the morning. Then the afternoon rolls into play and I will have a few beers sitting by the pool and maybe a frozen Drink of the Day.

Now the evening kicks in and there's usually a drink or two before dinner, wine with dinner and a drink or two after dinner before bed.

My wife will normally match my drinking habits..

So that makes approx. 15 drinks between the two of us (And I didn't include any soda's we might have during the day).. and as someone just said.. with an average price of about $9 a piece that's $135 per day. The AIBP is about $115 ($57 and some change per person) per day (including the gratuity) so even if we don't consume that amount on the days we are in port, we still love the freedom of the AIBP. It's paid for and I don't have to worry about our bar tap, coffee tab,.. OH... Bottled Water tab...

So yes, in the end its subjective to how you drink. But now you can see how it can add up.

Enjoy your cruise!!

The average someone else spends really doesn't help you. it is surely a personal choice and depends on your habits.

Often, people say they don't drink very much, but once onboard, find they do indeed enjoy a cool drink/s at the pool, a cocktail out on deck enjoying sail away, wine with dinner etc. Things maybe not experienced at home. Too if you are into special coffees, they are available for a cost.

We like to pay as we go. After a few days, we begin to "slow down" and also we enjoy stopping at different places while at a port for a change. So we won't drink enough daily to make an all inclusive a value for us.

oh, I forgot to mention...we take advantage of the drink special of buying one and getting another for a dollar some days at the Crooners bar. That would help your figures.

Edited by eandj

This may not help at all but it's good general rule of thumb for us. Between the alcohol, excursions (we usually use ship's excursions at every port), gratuities, specialty dining and a future cruise credit deposit ($100 each) that all adds up to our "third person". We say that our average tab at the end of the cruise equals one more cruise fare.

It's certainly not scientific or exact but it keeps us from being shocked.

My wife and I are also not big drinker's. Both used to be.. not so much any more.

Now.. having said that... we DO have the AIBP for our cruise in two weeks AND next December. Here's why..

We do consume more drinks when we cruise. I like to have a specialty coffee in the morning, as does she. I also like to have a Mimosa AND a Bloody Mary at some point in the morning. Then the afternoon rolls into play and I will have a few beers sitting by the pool and maybe a frozen Drink of the Day.

Now the evening kicks in and there's usually a drink or two before dinner, wine with dinner and a drink or two after dinner before bed.

My wife will normally match my drinking habits..

So that makes approx. 15 drinks between the two of us (And I didn't include any soda's we might have during the day).. and as someone just said.. with an average price of about $9 a piece that's $135 per day. The AIBP is about $115 ($57 and some change per person) per day (including the gratuity) so even if we don't consume that amount on the days we are in port, we still love the freedom of the AIBP. It's paid for and I don't have to worry about our bar tap, coffee tab,.. OH... Bottled Water tab...

So yes, in the end its subjective to how you drink. But now you can see how it can add up.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We are exactly like this. Don't drink at home, but enjoy trying different drinks and coffees when we cruise. On our very first cruise when we recieved our end of cruise bill we just about passed out! We've had an AIBP ever since.

We are exactly like this. Don't drink at home, but enjoy trying different drinks and coffees when we cruise. On our very first cruise when we recieved our end of cruise bill we just about passed out! We've had an AIBP ever since.

We are planners. Like to plan for everything. Even our cruise but more specifically.. the first day of the cruise. (go make reservations at Crown Grill, check out the Enclave to see if we want to reserve that for the week..) stuff like that.

I reviewed my thoughts about "what-to-do" on the first day when we board the Regal and my wife says: "you left out the most important thing.. find a bar and get a drink"

Yet, our last drink here at home.. over a week ago.

:cool:

Also note that in the dining rooms, if you order a bottle of wine and don't finish it one night, they will hold it for you for the next night. They will do that if you are in traditional or anytime dining (although it's much easier to do with traditional as the server will usually just have it ready for you).

Also meant to add that we like to buy a coffee card. You save money on specialty coffee and get fresh brewed on that cruise. If you don't use all the punches you can use the card on a future Princess cruise (but you don't get the free fresh brewed). So if you like a specialty coffee or tea it is worthwhile to buy a card. You and your husband can share a card also.

We say that our average tab at the end of the cruise equals one more cruise fare.

It's certainly not scientific or exact but it keeps us from being shocked.

This is the best strategy to avoid "sticker shock" at the end of the cruise. For cruises longer than 10 days I even assume I will spend an amount equal to my cruise fare just on myself. My cabinmate and I always use separate credit cards to keep ourselves accountable to just oneself. That does take in all spending not just the bar tab but when most of the rest is predictable you can easily make a bar budget. Of course actually sticking to it is a whole other issue.

Over the years I can guess I personally average two cocktails and two sodas a day. (So nowhere near enough to justify any AIBP). But on my last seven night cruise I was surprised that my folio was only around $250, including the DSC and one crappy shore excursion in Roatan. So I guess I was even below my historical average, though admittedly my cabinmate paid for our one night of specialty dining plus a bottle of wine in the MDR.

So the only way to really find what's average for you is to take several cruises to see if your drinking habits onboard are consistent or not. As I said what's average for me wouldn't cover half the cost of the AIBP but would be considered excessive for some and minuscule for others. My housemate went with a friend of hers on the two-night Grand Celebration cruise and they returned with an $800 total bar tab. Of course they will swear they are only "average" drinkers. (She claims not to be a big fan of cruising, but if I can get her on one with an AIBP I think she will be hooked :D)

Edited by fishywood

A couple of mixed drinks at night, a few beers or tropical drink during the day, glass of wine for dinner and you are in the $40/day range.

Per above and also brewed or specialty coffee as well as Coke type drinks from time to time. It all adds up.

As others have noted, an "average" is of no value to you. The issue is how YOU choose to drink or not to drink.

My 24 year old drinks little or nothing...maybe a glass of wine or two during an entire trip. On the other hand, she guzzles diet coke. I bought her a "soda and more" package, and may be adding a little "pay as you go" alcohol.

My brew of choice is ice tea. If I don't like what is served on the ship, I can brew my own in an insulated cup. On the other hand, the coffee punch card get you unlimited premium brewed tea and the punches can also be used for sundaes, crepes, etc. for those who don't drink premium coffee beverages. I haven't bought one for our upcoming short cruise, but will definitely get one for our longer cruise in the spring.

The nice thing about Princess is that each person can choose what, if any, beverage deal suits them best. I like that I can get my daughter a soda and more sticker but that I (who cannot have carbonation for medical reasons) don't have to pay for one for myself. On some other lines, everyone in the cabin must buy the same card provided they are of drinking age.

SO, calculate about what you think you will spend and then see whether the sticker is a good deal for you.

Thank you so much everyone! This has been very helpful. I know that everyone is different. I myself drink a lot of Ice tea, my husband a soda drinker, and my daughter she would like the slushies. So I think I will purchase the soda drink cards for them and pay as we go for the bar drinks. It is nice to have this outlet to gather all this information. Once again thank you I am so excited to set sail. :D

So I think I will purchase the soda drink cards for them and pay as we go for the bar drinks. :D

There are two different soda packages. They aren't cards, but stickers placed on your cruise card. Here is a description

Unlimited Soda Package Receive a souvenir tumbler and select from a variety of unlimited fountain dispensed soft drinks, including Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Tonic Water and Soda Water served by the glass at all bars and restaurant locations throughout your cruise.Item #0523$5.18

per person/

per day*

Unlimited Soda & More Package Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package, entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.Item #2312$8.05

per person/

per day*

Thank you so much everyone! This has been very helpful. I know that everyone is different. I myself drink a lot of Ice tea, my husband a soda drinker, and my daughter she would like the slushies. So I think I will purchase the soda drink cards for them and pay as we go for the bar drinks. It is nice to have this outlet to gather all this information. Once again thank you I am so excited to set sail. :D

I looked at the two different soda stickers (soda vs. soda and more) and decided that one hot chocolate or mocktail per day was well worth the less than $3 price difference between the cards. DO note that it is only those products that are available in fountain service, not cans.

You might find that a "coffee" punch card is a good addition as it will give you fresh brewed premium tea (no punch needed), and a punch will also buy a sundae or a crepe. It isn't just coffee. And the family can share the punches on one card.

One thing I do to keep costs down, is to bring the packets of drink mix. Ice tea fruit punch etc. These are usually made to mix in a standard bottle of water.

Saves on soda costs and trips to the buffet during the day.

Note: The tap water tastes very good on the ships.

I don't drink much either but plan around 15 to 20 bucks a day for drinks, maybe 25 on a sea day. This would be my top end limit, I don't drink much either.

For dinner wine I buy a bottle from princess, price ranges around 30 dollars. You have access to your wine at any of the mdr or specialty restaurant's.

safe travels,

and cheers

I recommend getting the Ultimate Soda and More Package like you said and then paying as you go beyond that. That's based on you not drinking "too much". Though drinks do add up, one must consume quite a few drinks a day to justify the All Inclusive Package. Use the link a CC'er posted to add up the daily cost you expect based on the prices of the drinks you like to make sure it wouldn't be cost effective for you to get the All Inclusive Package.

Also note that in the dining rooms, if you order a bottle of wine and don't finish it one night, they will hold it for you for the next night. They will do that if you are in traditional or anytime dining (although it's much easier to do with traditional as the server will usually just have it ready for you).
Thanks for that tip. As first time cruiser, going in May. I drink wine but the DW doesn't, so a bottle may last two dinners.