Dawn Dry Dock?

anitsiva

I have read that the Dawn will be going into dry dock in May of 2016 for refurbishment. However, I cannot find anything official from NCL on this.

We are booked for summer of 2016 on the Dawn and are looking forward to the upgrades.

Has anyone seen anything official that states the Dawn will be refurbished 2016?

I have read that the Dawn will be going into dry dock in May of 2016 for refurbishment. However, I cannot find anything official from NCL on this.

We are booked for summer of 2016 on the Dawn and are looking forward to the upgrades.

Has anyone seen anything official that states the Dawn will be refurbished 2016?

I haven't found anything on the NCL site but last refurb was in 2011 and they go in every five years so 2016 would be it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't expect many changes. Most drydock work is below the waterline. You will see a few changes at the Blue Lagoon, and a couple of other restaurants in that area. Most changes won't be noticeable.

She will probably get a similar treatment that the Star got this spring:

There is still a Blue Lagoon /Modernaro - the Blue Lagoon will become an OSheehan's and the Modernaro will be moved to the area next to Cagneys.

There could also be some general refurbishments to public areas maybe some carpets. The suites were built on decks 11 and 12 in 2011 so I expect nothing to change there - however they could upgrade the IT department and photo studio - there are lots of small things they can do very quickly that won't require extensive remodel work.

The Dawn will have work starting as soon as she leaves NOLA, from there she will probably go to dry dock in Nassau, there will also be several days of travel between Nassau and Boston = no repo cruises.

I realize that all of this is speculation - but it simply follows suit from what has been done to similar ships.

Pearly Kings will also become The Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar a la Jimmy Buffet $60 million renovation.

Did they say that on the Dawn? My parents sat through the presentation (I forget where we were at the time) They mentioned the changes to the Blue Lagoon and Moderno but I didn't remember them saying anything about the Buffet bar.

Don't expect many changes. Most drydock work is below the waterline. You will see a few changes at the Blue Lagoon, and a couple of other restaurants in that area. Most changes won't be noticeable.

It is a 50 million dollar refurb and I think you will see many changes..

Jancruz1

Considering what happened to the Star in Portland, I doubt if they will use Vigor again. :)

I suspect that Freeport is where the dry dock will take place.

If they were using anywhere on the west coast they would probably make some sort of repo cruise. Because there are no repo cruises it looks like they are cutting the Carib cruise season short to accommodate the dry dock and the next cruise is Boston to Bermuda.

She will probably get a similar treatment that the Star got this spring:

There is still a Blue Lagoon /Modernaro - the Blue Lagoon will become an OSheehan's and the Modernaro will be moved to the area next to Cagneys.

There could also be some general refurbishments to public areas maybe some carpets. The suites were built on decks 11 and 12 in 2011 so I expect nothing to change there - however they could upgrade the IT department and photo studio - there are lots of small things they can do very quickly that won't require extensive remodel work.

The Dawn will have work starting as soon as she leaves NOLA, from there she will probably go to dry dock in Nassau, there will also be several days of travel between Nassau and Boston = no repo cruises.

I realize that all of this is speculation - but it simply follows suit from what has been done to similar ships.

I was in one of the suites on deck 12 in 2013. DOS, # 12052 needed new drapes because the pulls were broken, and there was a crack in the upper window. I hope that those slight issues will be repaired.

DH and I were back on the Dawn this June. The carpets seemed to be new,andT we had a flat-screen TV in our balcony cabin. Previously, the Dawn had the old boxy TVs.

The only problems that we noticed, were some of the stalls in the public ladies' rooms were marked "out of order." Hopefully, those were already repaired.

• 1 month later...

IMPORTANT: INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CRUISE

Dear Valued Guests & Travel Partners,

Norwegian Dawn's 7-Day Bermuda sailing from Boston on June 3, 2016 is no longer available as the Norwegian Dawn will be out of service for maintenance and refurbishments. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for this cancellation and would like to thank you for your understanding. Our goal is to ensure that you still have the vacation of a lifetime with Norwegian.

It would be our pleasure to assist you in selecting another available sailing from the following options:

Option 1: Select one of Norwegian Dawn's available 7-Day Bermuda sailings from October 7, 2016 to October 21, 2016 and your cruise fare will be protected. If you choose this option, a $50 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S), a $100 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account.

Option 2: Select any available sailing in our fleet from now until December 31, 2017 at the current published fare and your deposit will be applied towards your reservation. If you choose this option, a $50 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S), a $100 per stateroom onboard credit, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges, will be issued to your onboard account.

We look forward to hearing from you by Monday, October 19, 2015, so that we can modify your reservation. We are standing by to assist you on our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET Monday through Friday. If we do not receive a response by Monday, October 19, 2015, your reservations will be cancelled and deposits will be refunded.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to assisting you in selecting a new cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart Vice President, Passenger Services

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our B2B (10/9 thru 10/23) cruise aboard the Dawn and they confirmed that the Blue Lagoon was becoming an O'Sheenan's. Nothing really going away from the menu, but some nice additions, including Chicken Pot Pie & Old Fashion Meat Loaf along with a refresh of the fish & chips and burger offerings.

They wouldn't confirm anything else.

We booked the Sept 1, 2016 cruise to see what they do to her, IMO, she is just the right size :)

I'll be interested to see the Dawn post dry dock. I am guessing that O'Sheehan's will remain a 24 hour restaurant? Also, regarding Moderno moving up near Cagney's - looks like the only way to do this would be to replace the Star Bar? If so, that would be a shame. Although probably not a very heavily visited location, my husband and I LOVED going up there for pre- or post- dinner cocktails! I found it to be a very classy, quiet, low-key place.

Another question... will the new O'Sheehan's take over both Blue Lagoon AND Moderno?

Thanks!