Book direct with NCL or with TA opinions

mysweetmom

Booking direct gives you the option of calling in your own price drops. Using a TA gives you better perks but all changes must be through them (also TA's may charge for changes pre-final payment, NCL will not), also if you get a crappy TA they won't want to get you the price drops because it affects their commissions.

This is my personal experience and I hope it helps you decide. I initially booked directly with NCL. My cruise sails next year July to Alaska. I then found that a popular website that sells cruises was giving OBC with the very same cruise with the very same price. When I contacted NCL, the rep who sold me the cruise was very rude to the point that he hung up on me. Somebody on this board advised me to transfer my cruise from NCL to the online TA. I did that and they gave me the OBC along with the same price guarantee that NCL offers. The TA also found that the agent who booked my cruise at NCL offered me the discount under the AAA rates and none of us are AAA members or qualify for it(we are under 50) . She cleared it up with NCL for me and I didn't have to do anything. I've been very happy with my TA and will probably always book only thru this website in future.

I always book through my TA. She always give me a bit of OBC and usually seems to come up with a price slightly less than what NCL has posted for a particular cruise. However, I do all the cruise research myself and just give her the exact info on what I want her to book. She says that I'm so easy she feels like I should be getting her commission.

People who book with a TA often come to cruise critic to ask all the questions they should be asking the TA.

As has been said, it doesn't make much difference except for managing price drops and reservation changes -- these have to be done through the TA. NCL won't talk to you if booked through a TA. Sometimes, TAs can offer more on-board credit, too.

I, personally, book direct with NCL.

We nowadays book always through a TA and get usually about 10% of NCL list price in OBC and/or actual discount. I'd like to be able to contact NCL directly but on the other hand, I have specific person to contact at the TA so I can just send an email to them if I need something done (the same as with a PCC at NCL).

I originally booked my cruise thru NCL. The day before final payment was due I checked some online TA's. I found one whose price was $80 less than my booking and offered a $350 OBC. While the price difference was not significant, the OBC WAS. I emailed my PCC and asked if NCL could match it. I never heard back so I cancelled with NCL and booked thru the TA.

I had called NCL and changed my cabin as well as made other requests and they were always very courteous. I did call my TA and had them change my cabin and although I had to call and email, it got done.

This is my personal experience and I hope it helps you decide. I initially booked directly with NCL. My cruise sails next year July to Alaska. I then found that a popular website that sells cruises was giving OBC with the very same cruise with the very same price. When I contacted NCL, the rep who sold me the cruise was very rude to the point that he hung up on me. Somebody on this board advised me to transfer my cruise from NCL to the online TA. I did that and they gave me the OBC along with the same price guarantee that NCL offers. The TA also found that the agent who booked my cruise at NCL offered me the discount under the AAA rates and none of us are AAA members or qualify for it(we are under 50) . She cleared it up with NCL for me and I didn't have to do anything. I've been very happy with my TA and will probably always book only thru this website in future.

How did you go about switching your reservation from NCL to a TA?

How did you go about switching your reservation from NCL to a TA?

Just get the contact information from your TA. Then call NCL and give it to them, making the request to transfer the reservation. NCL will do it then. I've done it a couple of times when I wanted to lock down a particular cruise and my TA was closed. I booked through NCL then transferred it later.

Just get the contact information from your TA. Then call NCL and give it to them, making the request to transfer the reservation. NCL will do it then. I've done it a couple of times when I wanted to lock down a particular cruise and my TA was closed. I booked through NCL then transferred it later.

Just FYI: NCL has changed their policy about transferring reservations, now it needs to be done within 60 days of initial booking date. Earlier there was no limit as long as it was done before final payment - which a lot of people did in order to maintain the control of their reservation as long as possible and then at the last minute transferred it to a TA to get a better price.

Here are the terms: http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/guest-reservation-transfer-faq

Edited by Demonyte

Just FYI: NCL has changed their policy about transferring reservations, now it needs to be done within 60 days of initial booking date. Earlier there was no limit as long as it was done before final payment - which a lot of people did in order to maintain the control of their reservation as long as possible and then at the last minute transferred it to a TA to get a better price.

Here are the terms: http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/guest-reservation-transfer-faq

I got real lucky then to xfer within a week. I wasn't aware of the 60 days policy.

Edited by uvasag

OK, so if I book through NCL for a cruise in March and I want to change to a TA, I have to do that within 60 days of original booking?

People who book with a TA often come to cruise critic to ask all the questions they should be asking the TA.

As has been said, it doesn't make much difference except for managing price drops and reservation changes -- these have to be done through the TA. NCL won't talk to you if booked through a TA. Sometimes, TAs can offer more on-board credit, too.

I, personally, book direct with NCL.

Seems like a lot of people who book direct with the cruise line also come to CC to ask questions.

Consider that the fare charged is pretty much regulated by NCL so there is

no advantage here BUT the bennies that either can put on the table are the deciding factor.

I use Delta Sky Miles (Delta Airlines) as my travel agent and get a ton of miles*

to use albeit after the cruise but applied to my next one.

* tied in with the Delta American Express Card even more miles accumulate !

During certain promotions there are enough miles to pay for a coach ticket to

USA ports (black-outs and YMMV) and the best part you don't have to fork

over a lot of money for the down payment deposit unlike NCL.

It should be noted that the miles do not pay for the cruise but airfare to and

from ports. If you live near a port city this changes the ball game but since

you do cruise - you do travel and miles can be used later to do this.

A non-refundable processing fee of $25 is all that I am out if I change plans.

That fee can be transferred to a new booking if I change plans back to something else.

I get virtually the same amount of OBC as I would thru NCL based on cabin selection.

NCL may hold the purse strings on stateroom selection but my TA generally

has access to everything that is of interest to me.

I can call my TA directly and get the same person all the time with all my client

details preferences and get a great deal better service than just any ole NCL agent or PCC.

TAs frequently can take non-rev industry discount cruises to push clients one way

or the other towards a cruise line. They see first hand what is offered to their

clients and can make critical references to likes and dislikes of a particular cruise line.

Being in the trade they usually have first hand knowledge of upcoming sales

promotions not offered to the general public until it is sold out or less than

desirable accommodations are left for the pick-ins.

Sorry NCL but I am going with my TA for present and future bookings !

Having done both, I typically use a popular cruise website for my bookings. I tend to get better price plus the option of cash back or additional OBC. At times OBC is better than what NCL is offering at that time. Any price changes, I have contacted my TA and they have been able to adjust the price and keep all my previous perks. Can it be a pain to have a TA, yes, because you have to go through the TA, then wait for them to speak to NCL, then get back with you vs. going straight to the horse. However, I find that the TA's know exactly how to word things to get your goal accomplished.

It definitely pays to compare... I just booked a H3 Panama Canal on the Pearl and NCL was offering $300 OBC, then I checked with my TA and she got the same exact fare but the extras were $250 OBC, $50 spa credit, 2 covers each to Cagney's, La Cucina, and Le Bistro, 1 bottle of wine, and a plate of choc cov strawberries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It definitely pays to compare... I just booked a H3 Panama Canal on the Pearl and NCL was offering $300 OBC, then I checked with my TA and she got the same exact fare but the extras were $250 OBC, $50 spa credit, 2 covers each to Cagney's, La Cucina, and Le Bistro, 1 bottle of wine, and a plate of choc cov strawberries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great deal!

Those perks sound like the ones NCL offered in a booking perks incentive offer for everyone that ended yesterday.

If so, you would have gotten the same perks by booking directly with NCL.