After dry dock enhancements - Navigator of the Seas vs. Freedom Class

Looking into a cruise for 2015, and I'm mainly leaning between the Navigator of the Seas or any of the ships from the Freedom class. My husband and I were on the Jewel this past May (my first cruise) and for our next one we want a bit more from the ship itself. With the Jewel sailing it was all about the ports, so we didn't really care about the size/datedness of the ship, but I think for our next cruise we want a bit more oomph.

Unfortunately, Oasis class/Quantum class are out of budget, so I was originally focusing solely on the Freedom class, but then I saw a lot of the enhancements that the Navigator got. My husband was on the Freedom in 2010, but I know that it also got some updates the year after he sailed.

I've been doing some Googling, but of course some of the results are from before the refurbs, so I'm not really sure what the most up to date info is, so I turn to my good friends at CC. Specifically, I am researching the following ships/routes

Freedom - Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel or Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Independence - Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel or San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts

Liberty - Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Bermuda, St. Maarten, San Juan, Haiti

Navigator - Cozumel, Belize, Honduras or Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica

I am mainly interested in comparing/contrasting the ships in their current, post-refurb form. Price wise, it's Navigator -> Freedom -> Independence -> Liberty, UNLESS it's worth it to get the virtual balcony on Navigator, in which case it would move between Freedom and Independence.

Edited by awestover89

Freedom, Liberty, and Indy are vitually identical, with small differences in shows and specialty restaurants. Dreamworks characters are on Freedom and Liberty, not on Indy.

Navigator is smaller than the other three, missing about 90 feet of length, which takes out the H2O zone, Sorrento's, and some other venues. However, Navigator probably has more specialty restaurants than the other three.

Are you figuring in flights as part of the cost? There's a big difference in price between Galveston and Fort Lauderdale for me flying out of the northeast. I'd like to try Navigator again since the updates but the flights kill it for me. We like all four ships but Independence is a six or eight night and Liberty will vary by itinerary (5,9,10, etc.).

Are you figuring in flights as part of the cost? There's a big difference in price between Galveston and Fort Lauderdale for me flying out of the northeast. I'd like to try Navigator again since the updates but the flights kill it for me. We like all four ships but Independence is a six or eight night and Liberty will vary by itinerary (5,9,10, etc.).

$70 difference pp for flights, making non-Virtual Balcony NotS same price as FotS.

There's also the benefit that we could arrive a day or two early and see the Everglades/Key West if we do a Florida cruise, not really much worth seeing around Galveston imo. Cape Liberty is about the same cost as Galveston, but travel can get creative. For example, it's about $200 cheaper per person to fly into Atlantic City, then we could find a way up to Cape Liberty.

And Liberty is a 9 night, Independence I had written down as a 7, same as Freedom and Navigator.

Edited by awestover89

$70 difference pp for flights, making non-Virtual Balcony NotS same price as FotS.

There's also the benefit that we could arrive a day or two early and see the Everglades/Key West if we do a Florida cruise, not really much worth seeing around Galveston imo. Cape Liberty is about the same cost as Galveston, but travel can get creative. For example, it's about $200 cheaper per person to fly into Atlantic City, then we could find a way up to Cape Liberty.

And Liberty is a 9 night, Independence I had written down as a 7, same as Freedom and Navigator.

We enjoy staying a couple of days in Cocoa Beach when we sail Freedom and Fort Lauderdale when we sail out of POM or POE. Not a real fan of Miami. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those ships. Happy sailing. ;)

Keep in mind that Freedom will be refurbished again soon and will be quite different in 2015, especially if the rumors are true that the third level of the MDR is being changed to 3 new restaurants and they might test dynamic dining on the Freedom. The Broadway show is also changing to Hairspray.

Keep in mind that Freedom will be refurbished again soon and will be quite different in 2015, especially if the rumors are true that the third level of the MDR is being changed to 3 new restaurants and they might test dynamic dining on the Freedom. The Broadway show is also changing to Hairspray.

Do you have a link or somewhere that it lists all the changes? I actually haven't heard anything about another refurb of Freedom.

I know that Navigator has the Virtual Balcony which, to my knowledge none of the Freedom class ships have. The problem I'm having is most of the websites list features on a per-class basis, so changes after refurbs like the Navigator's Flo-Rider don't show up on the virtual tours or even on RCI's main ship page, so I'm having a hard time finding out what all features certain ships have that others don't.

Do you have a link or somewhere that it lists all the changes? I actually haven't heard anything about another refurb of Freedom....

Royal has not publically revealed the changes to Freedom, beyond the show Hairspray being installed.

I just came off an eight night on Indy in January. She's in great shape IMO. She's had some enhancements like the poolside video screen, Cupcake Cupboard, and the interactive view screens in the public areas. I wouldn't hesitate to go on her again.

I haven't been on Freedom in a few years, but she has been similarly upgraded. I'll be on her in October, hopefully she's in as good of shape as Indy.

Freedom is going into dry dock in January and is scheduled to receive most of the enhancements that the Navigator just had done. There is a new restaurant that will be placed where the Crypt nightclub used to be. New cabins are being added on Deck 12. The Dynamic Dining is being tested on the Quantum Class not the Freedom. Your mention of rumors of adding restaurants to a level of the MDR are new to me and I would think they are not likely to be true as Mr. Goldstein and Mr. Fain specifically stated that Dynamic Dining will only be on Quantum and Anthem when they are launched.

Just got off Navigator two weeks ago and was not impressed with the refurb. Nice, but nothing like Freedom class ships. The ports left much to be desired as well, so I'll stick to Freedom and above class ships from now on. I thought I wouldn't notice how small Navigator was, but boy, was I wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to do the itinerary on Indy again in a heartbeat. Still one of my most favorite cruises. Good luck!

Just got off Navigator two weeks ago and was not impressed with the refurb. Nice, but nothing like Freedom class ships. The ports left much to be desired as well, so I'll stick to Freedom and above class ships from now on. I thought I wouldn't notice how small Navigator was, but boy, was I wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to do the itinerary on Indy again in a heartbeat. Still one of my most favorite cruises. Good luck!

I'm just the opposite...I was very impressed with the Navigator refurb. I haven't been on a Freedom class ship yet so I can't compare classes, but in looking at the Navigator compared to the other Voyager class ships, I thought they did a great job of integrating the new venues of Sabor, Izumi, Giovanni's Table, and the Diamond Lounge. The Flow Rider was a blast, and the new cabins are lovely. I also really liked the changes they made to the Photo Gallery to put in the system they use on Oasis and Allure. The change in color scheme and cabin décor is, to me, a huge and overdue improvement, and almost everything on the ship seemed fresh and new.

I'm just the opposite...I was very impressed with the Navigator refurb. I haven't been on a Freedom class ship yet so I can't compare classes, but in looking at the Navigator compared to the other Voyager class ships, I thought they did a great job of integrating the new venues of Sabor, Izumi, Giovanni's Table, and the Diamond Lounge. The Flow Rider was a blast, and the new cabins are lovely. I also really liked the changes they made to the Photo Gallery to put in the system they use on Oasis and Allure. The change in color scheme and cabin décor is, to me, a huge and overdue improvement, and almost everything on the ship seemed fresh and new.

I agree, Cindy! I loved all the updates, especially Sabor and Izumi:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another positive for the Navigator refurbishments. We've also not cruised on the Freedom class, but have cruised many times on the Oasis class.

One added cost needed to consider is getting from the Houston airports to Galveston.

We totally enjoyed our two cruises this spring on the Navigator; would probably opt for one of the Freedom class ships with all things being so similar. If Freedom is undergoing refurbishing, it might be a good option to jump on it before fares increase.

Freedom is one of our favorite ships. With the refub in January 2015, we are booked to return in June. We've also sailed on Navigator and were on Liberty in June. I'm excited to see that Hairspray is going to be the new show and can't wait to see the changes. We are at an advantage, since we can drive to Port Canaveral so that makes a big difference too.

My husband and I both felt like the passenger/space ratio was better on the Voyager class. We felt like we were waiting in lines more often on the Liberty. If the choice is just which ship, I'd pick the Navigator.

However on the downside, I don't hear great things about the port of Galveston. So there's that also.

I guess I should have explained a little more, sorry! Although I'm glad they added all the new enhancements to Navigator, I was so disappointed that they let other things so blatantly in need of repair go during the dry dock.

For instance, in the adult pool area when you get out of the water there are two posts. BOTH were green and had most of the "brass" off of the top. Why weren't these fixed or replaced? The pools were still saltwater. The towels are still those same old blue towels that look like they've been there since Navigator first came out and the pads on the chairs the same. Take a look at the ceiling in the Windjammer as well. YUK! We had a GS and still had problems with one of the sinks draining too. Plus where were the Coke machines? Why weren't they added?

I'm very well aware of keeping the costs down, but these are just little things that are so public I was just thrown for a loop.

I did really like the new Sabor Mexican restaurant. It was one of the best dinners I have ever had and I'm glad they took out that stupid dance area that gave me the creeps.

The new décor was nice as well but again, I just couldn't get past how small the ship felt and for me what used to be huge and spacious seemed like it was missing something.

So back to Freedom or above for me. The Port of Galveston certainly didn't help either. What a mess!

I think some people expect too much. We're going on the Navigator for a second time this year. I loved the ship. Yes the pools get crowded, there is lines at the bar, but it doesn't take forever to get a drink. Remember there's over 3,000 people on board. I still don't understand how people can have a bad time on a cruise ship. I guess it's just what you make it. Navigator ship and crew is great. Is the ship comparable to oasis or quantum. No.

Also, I guess it's just what time you get there as far as the port goes. We arrived at the port at 10:15. We were on the ship by 11:05. Only complaint was that some of the port crew were unfriendly. Dealing with that amount of people I'd probably be crabby as well.

Just back from Enchantment and was told that new cabins will be added on part of the jogging track. They will not be balconies but will be ocean view with ceiling to floor windows. Don't know how many.

Rick and Deirdra

Just back from Enchantment and was told that new cabins will be added on part of the jogging track. They will not be balconies but will be ocean view with ceiling to floor windows. Don't know how many.

Rick and Deirdra

Interesting. Sounds similar, but a little different than Navigator.

Edited by clarea

These new cabins are on Freedom, not Enchantment.

R&D

I finally figured that out, but my initial thought was that you were describing some of the work on EN in Freeport.

Nothing that big would be done in Freeport this time around. EN is only there for a couple of port calls and minor work will be done by the nearby crews while in port. Quite a coincidence that their ship yard is so close by!

R&D

Edited by Pumbaamd

Freedom is going into dry dock in January and is scheduled to receive most of the enhancements that the Navigator just had done. There is a new restaurant that will be placed where the Crypt nightclub used to be. New cabins are being added on Deck 12. The Dynamic Dining is being tested on the Quantum Class not the Freedom. Your mention of rumors of adding restaurants to a level of the MDR are new to me and I would think they are not likely to be true as Mr. Goldstein and Mr. Fain specifically stated that Dynamic Dining will only be on Quantum and Anthem when they are launched.

And you know this for a fact???? Someone who was at a Meet & Mingle on Freedom was told about the restaurants on the third level of the MDR by a ship staff member who spoke to the group. Maybe he was misinformed . One will be complimentary. And there were other rumors circulating that they * might* test dynamic dining on other ships in the future. That is probably just a rumor for now but the new restaurants sounded pretty legit.