1 hour 5 min layover FRA

b_cruise

I'm assuming this is not doable but I thought I would ask anyone who has been through Frankfurt (fRA) what they think?

Air Canada

Venice-FRA

FRA-Toronto

One hour 5 minutes in between.

It's okay......I googled this and I do not think THIS is ENOUGH TIME..

Edited by b_cruise

I'm assuming this is not doable but I thought I would ask anyone who has been through Frankfurt (fRA) what they think?

Air Canada

Venice-FRA

FRA-Toronto

If you're a middle distance runner capable of 4 min miles, you should be OK.

Other than that, it's hard to explain the vastness that is FRA airport.

I have never flown into/out of FRA. In Sept. I will fly DFW>FRA on AA in FC arriving at 8:30 AM, although that flight is sometimes late. I have 3 1/2 hours before I connect with a LH flight to HAM in BC. I assume I will land T2 and depart T1. What should I expect in terms of customs, immigration, security, luggage, and lounge? Many thanks, Julia

I have never flown into/out of FRA. In Sept. I will fly DFW>FRA on AA in FC arriving at 8:30 AM, although that flight is sometimes late. I have 3 1/2 hours before I connect with a LH flight to HAM in BC. I assume I will land T2 and depart T1. What should I expect in terms of customs, immigration, security, luggage, and lounge? Many thanks, Julia

These two airlines are not in the same alliance. Do you have two separate tickets?

Assuming the AA flight isn't too late, 3.5 hrs should be plenty of time. Just hustle and don't wait getting through I&C at T2 and then head to T1 ASAP and enjoy the (often-crowded) lounge there. If AA will check/interline your bags to HAM, it will save you the reclaim and recheck.

>>Just hustle and don't wait getting through I&C at T2 and then head to T1 ASAP and enjoy the (often-crowded) lounge there. If AA will check/interline your bags to HAM, it will save you the reclaim and recheck.<<

Thank you. AA says they will check bags through. I didn't know if I would go through immigration and customs there or in Hamburg. Good to know. Will I clear security again going from T2 to T1? Julia

>>Just hustle and don't wait getting through I&C at T2 and then head to T1 ASAP and enjoy the (often-crowded) lounge there. If AA will check/interline your bags to HAM, it will save you the reclaim and recheck.<<

Thank you. AA says they will check bags through. I didn't know if I would go through immigration and customs there or in Hamburg. Good to know. Will I clear security again going from T2 to T1? Julia

You will go thru Passport Check in FRA. You will go thru Customs at your final destination, if your bags are checked thru.

Air Canada

Venice-FRA

FRA-Toronto

Your perception is correct. This is VERY tight.

Immigration and customs for your carryons at FRA as you are entering Schengen - both very informal and fast , though pax flying directly from the U.S. are theoretically exempt from security screening if they are "sterile". Wouldn't count on this though. Your bags may be subject to inspection at HAM but again, very informal if anything for the most part.

Bags will be labelled differently (green stripes?) and may have to be picked up from a different baggage claim belt/area.

Immigration and customs for your carryons at FRA as you are entering Schengen - both very informal and fast , though pax flying directly from the U.S. are theoretically exempt from security screening if they are "sterile". Wouldn't count on this though. Your bags may be subject to inspection at HAM but again, very informal if anything for the most part.

Bags will be labelled differently (green stripes?) and may have to be picked up from a different baggage claim belt/area.

OP would likely not see their bag at FRA, thus no customs. Customs would be done via green/red walk through channels at HAM.

To echo Zach, you will only do Schengen immigration at FRA. Customs is separate and happens when you regain your luggage, which will be HAM.
Your bags will NOT have a green stripe on the edge when coming FROM the USA into the EU. It is bags that originate within the EU that have the green stripes on the edges of the baggage tag.

Your bags will NOT have a green stripe on the edge when coming FROM the USA into the EU. It is bags that originate within the EU that have the green stripes on the edges of the baggage tag.

Thank you FlyerTalker. Have only done connections in FRA a half dozen times recently, going to FCO, CPH and a few others. Never had any green striped tags. Thought I was missing something somewhere, or cheating the system somehow.

OP,

I hope you are sitting close to the exit and can truly hustle. FRA is a huge, sprawling airport and most likely crowded as well.

Have you already been ticketed, or are you inquiring about the feasibility of the flights? If you are thinking about the flights then I'd recommend you look elsewhere.

Have your tickets encountered a flight time change? If your flights have had a change that would put you under the legal connection time you should be able to rebook without penalty.

Do check the legal connection times. It's been a while since I flown through FRA so I can't recall the official times.

Good luck!

OP,

I hope you are sitting close to the exit and can truly hustle. FRA is a huge, sprawling airport and most likely crowded as well.

Have you already been ticketed, or are you inquiring about the feasibility of the flights? If you are thinking about the flights then I'd recommend you look elsewhere.

Have your tickets encountered a flight time change? If your flights have had a change that would put you under the legal connection time you should be able to rebook without penalty.

Do check the legal connection times. It's been a while since I flown through FRA so I can't recall the official times.

Good luck!

I have same situation in NRT with 1 hour 10 mins. to change planes from flight from US to Japan and then next flight is to Jakarta Indonesia. How likely am I to be able to book a ticket with a layover of 14 hours? How able to change from NRT to HND with less than 24 hour layover to the next flight? How do I get this arrangement in that the one hour layover and a two hour layover is all that I can get on the United Air site -- the other flights show on ITA but the short layovers are all that is showing for booking . No way this body is going to make another plane and hour after a 15 hour flight!!:eek::D

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I have same situation in NRT with 1 hour 10 mins. to change planes from flight from US to Japan and then next flight is to Jakarta Indonesia. How likely am I to be able to book a ticket with a layover of 14 hours? How able to change from NRT to HND with less than 24 hour layover to the next flight? How do I get this arrangement in that the one hour layover and a two hour layover is all that I can get on the United Air site -- the other flights show on ITA but the short layovers are all that is showing for booking . No way this body is going to make another plane and hour after a 15 hour flight!!:eek::D

The 1:15 is long enough at NRT though I can understand you wanting to take a break. Be aware that hotels in Japan and getting around there and eating may be very expensive.

If you want to force a layover (you can theoretically make a break of under 24 hours on international flights hence if your flight arrives at 1705, you're o.k. as long as your next flight leaves by 1704 the next day.

What you do is use the multiple leg part of the planner, and try to force something such as SFO-NRT for leg 1, HND-CGK for leg 2, etc. Remember that you generally lose 1 day flying to Asia (crossing the IDL) so leaving N. America on say 12 Nov means you get to Asia 13 Nov.

OP would likely not see their bag at FRA, thus no customs. Customs would be done via green/red walk through channels at HAM.

Meant to say you clear immigration and in theory customs for carryons at your Schegen point of entry (though I've never seen any of this, at least at AMS). Checked bags cleared, again in theory, at arrival airport.

I forgot which is which. I know green stripes were involved either to state you originated in Schengen (or E.U.) or not. Once had an Italian customs officer pull me out for inspection at FCO until he saw my bags came from LCA - which was E.U. but not Schengen at the time.....

Edited by cruising cockroach