Question About Oceania Food

curtdesilets

I have sometimes heard wildly different opinions on the food Oceania serves. We have taken two Oceania cruises departing Seattle for Alaska and in 2 weeks will take a Mexican Riviera Cruise out of Los Angeles. The food on those Alaska cruises was beyond outstanding!

My question is this: Will the food quality differ depending on where the ship departs from? In Los Angeles (San Pedro), all the fresh food is loaded in and we obviously have the ability here to stock the ship with the finest ingredients. Someone on the boards thought the food was just mediocre on a Brazilian cruise.

Any thoughts on the food sourcing affecting the quality of the meal?

I have sometimes heard wildly different opinions on the food Oceania serves. We have taken two Oceania cruises departing Seattle for Alaska and in 2 weeks will take a Mexican Riviera Cruise out of Los Angeles. The food on those Alaska cruises was beyond outstanding!

My question is this: Will the food quality differ depending on where the ship departs from? In Los Angeles (San Pedro), all the fresh food is loaded in and we obviously have the ability here to stock the ship with the finest ingredients. Someone on the boards thought the food was just mediocre on a Brazilian cruise.

At least with Oceania (and probably most of the premium luxury lines), it's not as much whether food sourcing limitations affect the quality of prepared dishes as it is what they do with what's available.

Food is far to subjective a subject.

I've heard people rave about the food at Sirloin Stockade., while others have different feelings.

I've been on Viking River cruises, where the wine served was considered plonk by some of us, while others raved and pounded it as fast as it could be served. Those of us with different tastes utilized Vikings no corkage fee policy extensively.

There is no right or wrong in these discussions. One has to experience it themselves or carefully view the comments of those they know and with which they share a similar palate.

Personally, I believe that O's food is excellent, while recognizing any chef or team can have an off night occasionally on any dish. Great thing on O is, you can always send it back and order something else!

If you've liked their food on two cruises odds are real good you'll like it on most of them.

There is an occasional off dish, but I've always enjoyed their food. They've got a pretty good handle on provisioning, regardless of where in the world they are.

Yes. Where ingredients are sourced affects the food. So do the different chefs. We notice differences where the chefs are concerned on every cruise IMO chef Martin is by far the best executive chef. The Toscana chef greatly affects the food as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What were were told on the Marina when we cruised her last March, (high level employee who I will keep confidential) Oceania ships containers of supplies to meet the ships at ports so that the raw ingredients are consistent. Don't know the origin of the supplies. Norwegian CL bought Oceania in part to install the supply quality process for the rest of the fleet.

Years ago FDR posted that is how they do it

Ship/fly the containers to the ports around the globe

They still do source some supplies at the ports

We witnessed this when the trucks rolled up to the dock & the chef is out there opening boxes of fresh food, checking them over & rejecting some of them

Many regulars will remember the "great berry fiasco " a few years ago when somewhere in Asia they would not allow the fresh fruit to be brought in so the ship ran dry of the fresh berries :eek:

What an outcry followed from the passenger ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We have sailed Oceania several times, boarding in US, Europe and Tahiti. There is no difference in food quality. The food is consistently good.