anything other than MedJet Assist?

poss

Some communications on another thread talked about evacuation insurance, which we've never purchased, but suspect it might be wise to do so. I called MedJet and learned that at my husband's age (second half of 80's), the cost would be around $800 (for him alone; for both, up around $1000). I'm wondering if anyone knows of another reputable company that writes this kind of insurance. A poster on the other thread said that they're covered on their credit card-- for under $200 for both. Don't know more details yet. I know that Jet evacuation is terribly costly, but somehow that figure of $1000 threw me for a loop.

Thanks for any opinions or info.

We have used Global Rescue for years. Price has jumped up this year though as my husband is now 75 and needed to fill in a medical form. You can insure each trip separately or annually as we do. Annual insurance has a choice of each trip no more than 30,45 or 60 days.

You should also always read the fine print very carefully with any travel insurance as far as any pre existing medical conditions. This also includes any insurance through a CC.

Thanks for ringing in, Sanne. I just telephoned Global Rescue: They don't provide medical evacuation policies for people over 85. This is sad news. I guess that people over 85 don't do much traveling, at least not "covered" traveling-- unless they're quite wealthy.

Here are the results of what I Googled (aiming at people over 85 but some of these do not meet this criteria). http://www.bing.com/search?q=Medical+evacuation+insurance+for+people+over+85&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02&pc=EUPP_UE04 You may need to do a little research on this as it may be difficult to find and could cost more than $1,000. On top of that, you would need to know how reliable a particular company is (obviously).

IMO, MedJet is a known company and is the best choice. Someone we know passed away on an Oceania ship this year - had insurance (that must have been expensive as he had pre-existing conditions and this was for a world cruise). This person was not rich - saved for a long time to take the once in a lifetime cruise. Unfortunately, the company he went with was difficult to deal with. This is the last thing that anyone needs during a time of emergency or the passing of a loved one. When you look at the entire picture, $1,000 isn't that bad.

A couple of companies I saw on the list that I Googled I wouldn't insure my goldfish with (if I had one). Don't want to badmouth an insurance company but I would be extra cautious. I spent several years in the benefits area - working with companies to insure employees. Some well-known companies are really terrible (and well-known).

Edited by Travelcat2

Chuck@insuremyluxurytravel.com

Most of the time we get our cruise on on Chase card that has travel insurance included.

However, on the more expensive cruises we wanted to make sure we also have Medical Evacuation Insurance. This agent writes it, included in the travel insurance. He will explain it to you.

Chuck@insuremyluxurytravel.com

Most of the time we get our cruise on on Chase card that has travel insurance included.

However, on the more expensive cruises we wanted to make sure we also have Medical Evacuation Insurance. This agent writes it, included in the travel insurance. He will explain it to you.

Or call Steve@thetripinsurancestore he can offer the same! Many many options and price points depending on your needs and budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

poss if you are from the USA and have AARP they give a discount with MedJet. If you don't have AARP the discount is good enough that it is worth it to get it just for MedJet.

I know that !,000.00 seems like a lot of money but think of the peace of mind of having it.

Whatever you do if it was me I would do a lot of investigation on this. The key is if you find other companies to see what the experience of others were with that company.

Keith

Thanks Peggy! I did more research and poss could get a discount if she and her husband are AARP members.

TC, please see post number 9 where I mentioned AARP. :)

My experience is that the AARP discount is significant enough that it is well worth getting the AARP membership for this alone.

Keith

TC, please see post number 9 where I mentioned AARP. :)

My experience is that the AARP discount is significant enough that it is well worth getting the AARP membership for this alone.

Keith

Keith - sorry that I missed that in your post. My DH called them up to learn more about their services - specifically as they pertain to cruising. Apparently if you become ill on the ship at sea, you need to get to the nearest port and be admitted to the hospital. Then MedJet will pick you up and fly you to another hospital. Assume that the cost of the transportation from the ship to the port would be quite expensive.

Agree that AARP membership is good to have for discounts. And, MedJet would be good if someone passes away on the ship -- MedJet will ship the remains home. Depressing subject but this can happen to anyone - at any age.

Not sure if we will purchase it or not. We leave on Tuesday for a month and will forgo it for now. We both had physicals in the last two weeks and are in good shape for the trip (always thankful to receive that kind of news from our doctor).

TC, have a great time while you are away.

I hope we never need to use MedJet. I am a big believer in it though.

I know one person who was walking and fell and needed a hip replacement. I also know another person who got hit by a car. In both cases, having MedJet worked well for them.

And me. As I said I didn't use it but in 2014 I fainted on the ship and had to go to a local hospital. Thank goodness the issue was an upper respiratory issue and also some of my electrodes well below where they should have been but if it would have been something worse as the ship's doctor thought it could be having the MedJet would have been put to good use. It's peace of mine.

Again, have a great time.

Keith

Bon Voyage, Travelcat2. Enjoy every minute. When we flew Swiss to Barcelona from Miami in 2014 for Riviera's TA, we had to change planes in Geneva. We were unhappy with that, until we got to the lounge. It was so charming that we were sorry our stay was only a couple of hours. After the fact, we learned about American airlines nonstop to/from Barcelona. That's how we are returning from Barcelona on April 9th.

It will be fun to meet you in March on Explorer's TA. With so many sea days, I hope to meet everyone on CC. Regent's block parties are a fine way to meet neighbors. Maybe other CC's will in our corridor. Maybe by the time we all embark the ship, we can arrange to meet somewhere aboard. I hope your kitties only hide toys you like in your luggage.

Mary

Edited by warburg

TC, have a great time while you are away.

I hope we never need to use MedJet. I am a big believer in it though.

I know one person who was walking and fell and needed a hip replacement. I also know another person who got hit by a car. In both cases, having MedJet worked well for them.

And me. As I said I didn't use it but in 2014 I fainted on the ship and had to go to a local hospital. Thank goodness the issue was an upper respiratory issue and also some of my electrodes well below where they should have been but if it would have been something worse as the ship's doctor thought it could be having the MedJet would have been put to good use. It's peace of mine.

Again, have a great time.

Keith

Not electrodes...electrolytes. Cause is dehydration and lack of proper nutrition. I know and have been there.

Edited by Suite Travels

Not electrodes...electrolytes. Cause is dehydration and lack of proper nutrition. I know and have been there.

Not very relevant to all of this but no, it was not dehydration nor lack of proper nutrition. :)

What is relevant is that I am probably one of the few people that one would guess would be taken off the ship to a hospital and it happened to me. Fortunately I returned to the ship later that evening but if it had been something worse than MedJet would have been used.

MANY thanks to all who responded.

We've been members of AARP for a long while, not so much for the discounts (but appreciate those as well), rather because we appreciate the work they do for seniors (though age 50 seems luxuriously "junior," not senior!) When I spoke with MedJet, I got the impression that they don't even cover over 85'ers unless they're members of AARP.

I do understand that one has to be very careful in choosing appropriate insurance, but I find that I have no head for this sort of thing. It's not that I'm lazy-- I read the print and the fine print-- but I usually have the sense that I'm not totally grasping the ins and outs. Given this fact, I think that it makes excellent sense to contact a company like insure my luxury travel or the trip insurance store. I've seen the latter mentioned on CC a number of times, so probably that's whom I'll contact. If anyone has heard NOT-so-good things about them, I hope they will say so.

Travelcat: Have a most marvelous time with your dreamboat on your dreamboat! I'm tellin' ya: In my NEXT life....

Edited by poss

Not very relevant to all of this but no, it was not dehydration nor lack of proper nutrition. :)

What is relevant is that I am probably one of the few people that one would guess would be taken off the ship to a hospital and it happened to me. Fortunately I returned to the ship later that evening but if it had been something worse than MedJet would have been used.

Off topic I know...BUT no such thing as medical electrode issues.

Keith - thank you for the kind words and also for giving us a reason to get a policy with MedJet. Unfortunately, this will have to wait until we have returned from our cruise.

Mary - really looking forward to meeting you. I didn't realize that you had been on the Riviera. I look forward to discussing the differences between Regent and Oceania.

poss: You could not have said it better. I will definitely be sailing with my dreamboat on my dreamboat.:D

Off topic I know...BUT no such thing as medical electrode issues.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Electrode issues can occur in the potential malfunctioning of medical devices either external or implanted within the brain, heart, etc., for example.