Ladies dress on informal nights

rsail203

My wife is set for dress on formal nights, but she's uncertain about informal nights. Cunard states that men wear jackets, ties optional, but what should she wear? Can anyone post pictures from informal nights? Thanks in advance for any info.

Rich

Put it this way; Informal evenings on Cunard are almost the same as a Formal on most other cruise lines. All the ladies make an effort to make evenings a sense of occasion. On Cunard one can never be overdressed, I sure some ladies will come along and give your wife some ideas ( I'm a guy ...'self appointed' Cunard fashion police :D )

Oh and please take no notice of anyone who will come along and say ' Just wear want you want' ;)

I do the old three-level system. Formal wear for formal nights, of course. And DH wears his tux. For informal nights on sea days, DH wears a suit and tie. I usually wear a cocktail dress--LBD or similar in another color. For informal nights on port days, DH will wear a suit and tie or slacks, sportcoat and tie. (He does not like to go without a tie if he wears a jacket) I will wear either a cocktail dress or a dressy pants outfit, depending on how rushed we are after time in port.

To keep the luggage situation under control, I usually will wear a LBD more than once, just changing jewelry. I try to get by on two pairs of dressy shoes, maybe 3. I'm excited about the Christmas cruise because it's just a car service to and from the cruise so I can pack lots of shoes and evening bags and dresses.

On informal nights, I get by with a dressy top (maybe sparkly, silk or chiffon) over black wide legged trousers or maybe a dress - it doesn't have to be a cocktail one. My rule of thumb is what I would wear to an evening wedding that was not black tie. I have one pair of dressy (low) sandals that do all my dining. Last time I took silver higher heeled sandals as well but only wore them once on one of the formal nights. I have a couple of stoles for if it is cool. I am not too proud to wear the same outfit more than once.

Sorry I don't have any photos but here are some similar ones to what I wear. I have a teal blue version of the shirt in Thai silk which I team with either the black trousers or a black mid length chiffon skirt. Likewise with the cream lace - jewellery dresses it up a bit as well.

Hope that is useful.

dress_violet.jpg.67abc31f82500b2dd9ea3a9a6b8a1139.jpg

1581785157_lacetop_ivory_1.jpg.3583abfe03b321b080d8416da365949b.jpg

153900330_pinksilkshirt.jpg.d71bfcac427d2f9f2df2959ea5f2e8f6.jpg

Edited by Aussieflyer

On informal nights I wear a short cocktail dress. Aussieflyer's guide line of wearing what one would wear to an evening (but not black tie) wedding sounds pretty reliable. If I have to get it wrong I'd rather be a bit over dressed than way too casual.

I was just on the QM2 crossing. Yes, it's true you can't be overdressed on informal nights. But it's perfectly ok to wear a dressy pants outfit too.

Hi annmarz. Just to mention that as near as I can tell, the OP wasn't asking about a Crossing, but rather a Caribbean cruise. On board, different atmosphere, different style of clothing.

People can be overdressed, just as they can be underdressed.

Hi annmarz. Just to mention that as near as I can tell, the OP wasn't asking about a Crossing, but rather a Caribbean cruise. On board, different atmosphere, different style of clothing.

People can be overdressed, just as they can be underdressed.

Even in the Carribbean I would still err on the dressy side. Remember the dining room is air conditioned so no different whether it is the Atlantic or Carribbean.

On informal nights, I get by with a dressy top (maybe sparkly, silk or chiffon) over black wide legged trousers or maybe a dress - it doesn't have to be a cocktail one. My rule of thumb is what I would wear to an evening wedding that was not black tie. I have one pair of dressy (low) sandals that do all my dining. Last time I took silver higher heeled sandals as well but only wore them once on one of the formal nights. I have a couple of stoles for if it is cool. I am not too proud to wear the same outfit more than once.

Sorry I don't have any photos but here are some similar ones to what I wear. I have a teal blue version of the shirt in Thai silk which I team with either the black trousers or a black mid length chiffon skirt. Likewise with the cream lace - jewellery dresses it up a bit as well.

Hope that is useful.

I found this very helpful, thank you.

Even in the Carribbean I would still err on the dressy side. Remember the dining room is air conditioned so no different whether it is the Atlantic or Carribbean.

Maybe I'm mistaken on this, but I don't think it's a question of air conditioning. I think the difference in the degree of formality on an informal night has to do with the number of port days and the length of the cruise.

For example, on the 12 day QM2 r/t NY-Caribbean cruise, there are 5 port days in the Caribbean. Compare that with a transatlantic crossing, and it's understandable why the style of dress might be tend to being more formal even on an informal night on a TA than it is on a Caribbean cruise. (Of course, the dress code on the four formal nights on the Caribbean cruise is adhered to with few exceptions.)

Having said that, I do agree that the overwhelming majority of passengers dress very nicely - as previously mentioned, informal on Cunard is more like formal on other cruise lines.:)

Formal for the ladies is evening gown, fancy cocktail dress or evening pants or skirt with corresponding dressy top or jacket.

Informal for the ladies would be a dress or suit that you would wear to church, nice dinner or an afternoon reception. Nice pants with a jacket or blouse.

It's easier to tell you what not to wear on an informal night. Don't wear jeans, shorts, swim suits, tennis shoes (trainers), t-shirts, workout wear, or yoga pants.

Everyone interprets it a little differently. There is a lot of room for personal style. Just make a little effort.

Hope that is useful.

Hi Aussieflyer. My compliments on your wardrobe. Silk is the way to go! Lightweight for packing, beautiful colors, works for all seasons. Whenever I find a garment in silk that fits me on sale, I buy it.

Just to mention that I think the addition of a pair of ivory trousers (not cotton, not linen - they look horrible after one hours wear) would work well on a Caribbean cruise for island sail away parties on informal nights.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I've posted some of Jane's outfits that she wore on this month's cruise on my blog - Maybe this willl give you some idea as to how formal/informal you can be.- I think she managed to pull it off every night.

https://blog.rakkor.uk/2016/10/31/some-of-janes-outfits/

Thank you, very helpful and Jane looks lovely. :)

Formal for the ladies is evening gown, fancy cocktail dress or evening pants or skirt with corresponding dressy top or jacket.

Now that does no correspond to the accepted formal dress for men.

So, I would say Black Tie corresponds to evening gown. And a dark suit would therefore correspond with a cocktail dress. But pants/skirt and a top correspond to a jacket and trousers - i.e. informal wear.

Now that does no correspond to the accepted formal dress for men.

So, I would say Black Tie corresponds to evening gown. And a dark suit would therefore correspond with a cocktail dress. But pants/skirt and a top correspond to a jacket and trousers - i.e. informal wear.

Your correlation is pretty much what we follow. But that raises a question. Do many men wear jacket and trousers (not a sutie) on informal nights? DH generally wears a suit, but for longer cruises, I'm wondering what to pack for him in addition to tux and suit. We're in PG for the first time on QM2, is informal night there less informal?

Your correlation is pretty much what we follow. But that raises a question. Do many men wear jacket and trousers (not a sutie) on informal nights? DH generally wears a suit, but for longer cruises, I'm wondering what to pack for him in addition to tux and suit. We're in PG for the first time on QM2, is informal night there less informal?

On informal nights I wear either, so jacket and trouser or a suit. I don't wear ties at all now (since they have fallen out of fashion in the UK), but I may well wear a cravat (not that they are in fashion in the UK - but I'm in a trend setter !).

I've posted some of Jane's outfits that she wore on this month's cruise on my blog - Maybe this willl give you some idea as to how formal/informal you can be.- I think she managed to pull it off every night.

https://blog.rakkor.uk/2016/10/31/some-of-janes-outfits/

Thank you for posting the photographs

Hi Aussieflyer. My compliments on your wardrobe. Silk is the way to go! Lightweight for packing, beautiful colors, works for all seasons. Whenever I find a garment in silk that fits me on sale, I buy it.

Just to mention that I think the addition of a pair of ivory trousers (not cotton, not linen - they look horrible after one hours wear) would work well on a Caribbean cruise for island sail away parties on informal nights.

Regards,

Salacia

Ivory trousers sound wonderful especially in more tropical regions. Agree with the cotton and linen though unfortunately I love the look of crisp linen so if I take it the ships laundry always does well out of me :)

• 2 weeks later...