Update on Infinity Norovirus?

Ken1359

I'm looking forward to doing the Panama Canal again on the Infinity next week. Has anyone heard from current passengers about any NoroVirus cases. I'm hoping that it's all wiped out by now.

I'm looking forward to doing the Panama Canal again on the Infinity next week. Has anyone heard from current passengers about any NoroVirus cases. I'm hoping that it's all wiped out by now.

The last thing you will find is norovirus spreading to the next sailing.

They do an impeccable job of cleaning between cruises.

Thanks for asking the question. We will be on the cruise as well. I've gotten 2 cell calls, 2 text messages and 2 e-mails to let me know that there will be a Coast Guard inspection on departure day and that boarding will not begin until 12:00 (I think). I'd love to hear from passengers on the current cruise to see what kind of experience they are having.

The last thing you will find is norovirus spreading to the next sailing.

They do an impeccable job of cleaning between cruises.

Unfortunately this is not necessarily true. I do NOT have info on the current cruise - I am speaking in general. Yes, Celebrity does do an impeccable job of cleaning, but it is not uncommon to see noro cross over several sailings before it is completely eliminated as it is so very, very contagious. One reason is that staff (and B2B passengers) may have the virus but are not yet showing symptoms. They sail, get sick a day or two later and bam, around it goes again. That said, very often they do contain the virus after one sailing but it is not guaranteed.

Unfortunately this is not necessarily true. I do NOT have info on the current cruise - I am speaking in general. Yes, Celebrity does do an impeccable job of cleaning, but it is not uncommon to see noro cross over several sailings before it is completely eliminated as it is so very, very contagious. One reason is that staff (and B2B passengers) may have the virus but are not yet showing symptoms. They sail, get sick a day or two later and bam, around it goes again. That said, very often they do contain the virus after one sailing but it is not guaranteed.

Can you point out any two or more successive sailings that have been infected with norovirus in recent history?

Can you point out any two or more successive sailings that have been infected with norovirus in recent history?

No, to do so I would have to go back and do some research and that is not how I want to spend my time. But anyone paying attention to news reports in recent years has seen this happen at times. It is not a slam against Celebrity - it is due to the very contagious nature of the virus. Celebrity does as well as any other line (and better than most) IMHO.

We were on Millennium (Asia) April 2013 and we had it on there. It continued for the next sailing Seward to Vancouver where we got off. We heard the restrictions were lifted a few days into the following sailing. I agree it is NOT Celebrity's fault and they do an outstanding job of cleaning the ships and getting rid of this highly contagious virus.

Hi Dina -- If you want to do your own research on that topic, I think you can find the stat on the CDC website. There's also a website (can't remember the name of it) out there -- supposedly run by a lawyer -- that keeps up with all of the crime/sickness stats on the various cruise ships. And yes, sadly, b2b NORO does happen -- but, not very often.

Edited by wwcruisers

Hi Dina -- If you want to do your own research on that topic, I think you can find the stat on the CDC website. There's also a website (can't remember the name of it) out there -- supposedly run by a lawyer -- that keeps up with all of the crime/sickness stats on the various cruise ships. And yes, sadly, b2b NORO does happen -- but, not very often.

It happened once in the last few years - on RCCL - two consecutive sailings both had norovirus.

It appears you are more likely to get it on a different ship (where the cleaning may not have been as stringent), than on two consecutive sailings of the same ship.

We also received the same message about the inspection before our 3-29-15 Infinity Panama Canal Cruise. However we were able to board at 11:00 am our earliest and easiest ever.

They did a great job trying to stop the spread of the Norovirus after it began on our cruise and the cleaning after we left was I'm sure very through, but the morning we got off one crew member started throwing up.

I can. I sailed on Royal Princess March 9 to 19th, 2015. That and the two cruises prior to ours were on red alert for norovirus. They deep cleaned the ship each time and terminal prior to our cruise and the one before ours. Announcements were made, daily, in regards to the number of sick passengers and crew members.

Edited by Marelaine

and they are fine...and sounds like most on board are as well. Plenty of hand washing and procedures in place I think..we have been on board several times with the "virus" and many procedures are in place...both for the current sailing and the one after it. LuAnn

I sailed out of Honolulu 4/24/13 (I think I have the day right) after the Solstice had a problem with Norovirus coming across the Pacific from Sydney. We were called and e-mailed several times to alert us. Our boarding was delayed due to cleaning, but they let us know prior to show up later.

When we got to our stateroom at 6:30pm, there were no linens, glasses, but we were informed that EVERYTHING had to be cleaned properly and the CDC was on the ship for the whole trip. We got luggage at 11pm and linens.

The first 7 days we had to be served in the buffet for all food, drinks and water. This slowed things down quite a bit. But when it comes to stopping Norovirus, it needed to be be done for our safety. In the main dining room, we were not allowed salt and pepper shakers and were given little packets to use.

Even in the staff dining areas, all had to be served so no one touched the food or drink. The back logs had an effect on everything I am sure.

When I observed all the extra hard work the staff in food service, housekeeping, laundry and every other department had to carry out for the ship to sail on time for the next scheduled cruise, my heart went out to them. The exhaustion must have been overwhelming.

We sailed on the Infinity in '13 from Valparaiso to Ft. Lauderdale. There was Noro on the preceding cruise and the following cruise. The outbreaks were of different intensities but all three sailings had cases.

Ken,

See you on board! I'll be the one with the stupid grin on my face and a cocktail in my hand (lol). Where's Waldo, right?

Mr and Mrs Joseph S Schmoe (representing the Schmoes of Tallahassee) had the privilege on traveling on the December 4 Infinity cruise from FLL to Valpo.

We did fine during the cruise and we had a great time.

Many other passengers (including our elderly neighbors on both sides) were observed with hacking coughs and various "cold-like" symptoms. Two days before arrival in Valpo, food was served to passengers by kitchen staff on the buffet. Apparently whatever threshold is needed for implementing anti-virus measures was exceeded.

It was really interesting to read about noro infections on the cruises following ours.

Mr Schmoe suspects that this is an ongoing problem on the Infinity. Celebrity does a great job of knocking down the virus but has never been able to fully eliminate it. If the problem could be fully eliminated, it would be gone by now.

BTW, many other posters have documented that the Lima (Callao) port call was replaced by Pisco on the the northward repositioning cruise earlier this month. We too had a truncated Lima visit that was attributed to "port problems." Trujillo (Saliverry) was substituted for one of the two days that we had scheduled for touring in Lima. We enjoyed ourselves but it was not Lima. In view of Celebrity's continued history of missing scheduled port calls in Callao, the Schmoe's wonder if something else might be going on. For the foreseeable future, the Schmoes recommend viewing scheduled Callao port calls as being a matter of chance.

All things considered, we had a positive experience and would sail X again without hesitation.

Last year on Infinity it showed up on three consecutive trips and we where the third trip many times they would serve us in the buffet no salt and pepper etc. It not only can happen but it did. That being said did it worry us no did we change plans no. We are going to be on Infinity leaving San Francisco on May 15. Cleaning the ship does not clean peoples hands. It happens every day through out the world. :D

HAL approach I believe should be adopted by all cruiselines, they don't allow passengers to serve themselves for the first 48 hours of every cruise. That way any passenger who is a carrier of the virus would be identified and hopeful isolated before the virus has the chance too spread. It has improved their statistics of being virus free over recent years, obviously not totally but has had a significant impact.

What I can't really understand is WHY do so many passengers go to extreme lengths too avoid using the Hand Sanitizers ? Why can't the cruiseline enforce their use? Afterall it can reduce the risks of the virus spreading affecting many more people.

I now avoid the buffet of all cruise ships and will only take food that is served, any food that can be touched by other passengers I will totally avoid. Also I choose not to use any public toilets as many people have had no hygiene education in their lives. Extreme, maybe but contracting Norovirus is no laughing matter.

HAL approach I believe should be adopted by all cruiselines, they don't allow passengers to serve themselves for the first 48 hours of every cruise. That way any passenger who is a carrier of the virus would be identified and hopeful isolated before the virus has the chance too spread. It has improved their statistics of being virus free over recent years, obviously not totally but has had a significant impact.

What I can't really understand is WHY do so many passengers go to extreme lengths too avoid using the Hand Sanitizers ? Why can't the cruiseline enforce their use? Afterall it can reduce the risks of the virus spreading affecting many more people.

I now avoid the buffet of all cruise ships and will only take food that is served, any food that can be touched by other passengers I will totally avoid. Also I choose not to use any public toilets as many people have had no hygiene education in their lives. Extreme, maybe but contracting Norovirus is no laughing matter.

..they usually do not stop the noro virus...google it & you will see.

NOTHING replaces good hand washing habits with soap & water. A lot of public places went the hand sanitizing route to try & calm peoples fear about germs.

I worked at a school & about 10 years ago they hand the sanitizer dispensers installed next to every door & every classroom. One of the science teachers put out a long scientific email to everyone in the district about why we should NOT be using them all the time.

The district made him take it down...not because he wasn't right....but because they spent all that money on the dispensers.

Thank you for your post!!!! I sure hope your Blood Type O information will not apply to me on my Baltic cruise in May.......I don't use had sanitizers but I do wash my hands frequently and carefully. More attention will be paid to not touching my face, ears, nose, etc.

BruceMuzz is a cruise ship employee and has very informative posts and this is his comments on the transmission of Noro.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45922295&postcount=15

whilst a reasonable post it still has some disinformation.

Around 10% of the population dont express the right receptors on their gastro cells for the virus to bind to thus they are immune. Bruce may well be one of those so his claim of superior hygiene may be false.

Using public bathrooms is only slightly higher risk than touching the stair rail bannisters and less risk than shaking hands with the new person you met at the bar.

One study estimated for every infectious person that opens a door fifteen further people get infected from using that same door handle. So it is hand hygiene that is definitely top of the list.

whilst a reasonable post it still has some disinformation.

Around 10% of the population dont express the right receptors on their gastro cells for the virus to bind to thus they are immune. Bruce may well be one of those so his claim of superior hygiene may be false.

Using public bathrooms is only slightly higher risk than touching the stair rail bannisters and less risk than shaking hands with the new person you met at the bar.

One study estimated for every infectious person that opens a door fifteen further people get infected from using that same door handle. So it is hand hygiene that is definitely top of the list.

Yes but the point that he was stressing is, that you can touch a well used door handle or banister and that will not give you Noro. 99% of the time you infect yourself by transferring the virus into your body by touching your eyes, nose etc. So you just have to touch your eye once in between handwashings and you could have Noro and conversely, you could totally avoid getting Noro by never touching you face. Harder to do in practice though I think lol

Hi,

norovirus is a nasty virus - we did catch it on one of the cruises few years ago - not much fun...... we did most of the right things to avoid it, frequent hand washing, sanitizers ( they do not do much or anything to kill the virus) ...... but we did eat in the buffet few times ( so did Captain Johnny - have seen him there few times) .

I respect Bruce's recommendation - he must have seen more cases of Noro than anyone on this board, and he must have gotten more info and training than any of us ....... in addition to his ship's experience I think he also works for CDC.

If someone is interesting to learn more - please click on the link below :

http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html

Edited by wieslaw