Tropical storm (potentialy hurricane) Erika

teampayne

We're on the Sky Fri-Sunday.... the system is forecasted to be making landfall when the cruise is returning to port of Miami. Not to mention there is no possibility of GSC on Sunday with the current forecast. If I had to guess we will be sailing to Nassau and returning to MIA by Sunday morning and HOPEFULLY disembark so people can catch early flights or get a hotel room to ride out the storm.

I live locally so I would prefer to take this cruise and head home to ride out the storm...

I'd give it till the 3 day cone which is basically tonights 5pm. This will give a fairly accurate picture of where this thing is going.

Edited by lhpfish185

Flying into miami from nashville tomorrow for a bahamas cruise on the Ecstasy. Seriously thinking of pulling the plug on this trip...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Why? that storm isnt going to come close to Florida till about monday/tuesday.

your ship will leave port no problem. It will go somewhere. it may not go to Nassau but go to a different port instead but it will go somewhere. anywhere the ship goes it will be a worth while cruise. Carnival is used to things like this and tropical storms and hurricanes isn't anything new to them. they will go around the storm and make the best of it. For those leaving on a short cruise friday or saturday and returning monday or tuesday I bet you get a bonus day at sea while the ship waits for the storm to clear enough to go into port. I'd be all over that.

Why? that storm isnt going to come close to Florida till about monday/tuesday.

your ship will leave port no problem. It will go somewhere. it may not go to Nassau but go to a different port instead but it will go somewhere. anywhere the ship goes it will be a worth while cruise. Carnival is used to things like this and tropical storms and hurricanes isn't anything new to them. they will go around the storm and make the best of it. For those leaving on a short cruise friday or saturday and returning monday or tuesday I bet you get a bonus day at sea while the ship waits for the storm to clear enough to go into port. I'd be all over that.

We have to be back to work on Tuesday and our return flight to Nashville is Monday at 3 pm

Just received a phone call from my agent, on Saturday we still have plans for Nassau but Sunday we will be relocated from great stirrup cat to Key West port. This will be my first time at Key West, let alone first cruise. Any suggestions for key west?

Just received a phone call from my agent, on Saturday we still have plans for Nassau but Sunday we will be relocated from great stirrup cat to Key West port. This will be my first time at Key West, let alone first cruise. Any suggestions for key west?

Hi and Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Happily, Key West is a great port ... so much to do just walking around! You'll have FUN! :D

LuLu

The Weather Channel types may have meteorology degrees, but most of the on-air people are melodramatic entertainers who try to hype every tropical breeze into a Category 5 hurricane and every snowflake into a blizzard that will paralyze the entire country. Much better weather-forecast sources elsewhere.

For those of you leaving from Miami this weekend on the Ectasy, plan to encounter delays on returning to Miami on Monday if the storm follows the advertised path. Once the Tropical Storm or Hurricane Warnings are announced, the port will close and from past experiences, they don't usually open right away. The last example of this was with Hurricane Sandy, the Sky and Imagination were both delayed in getting back to port.

Would not be surprised if Carnival attempts to visit Nassau on Saturday then run west to avoid the storm and spend Sunday and possibly Monday at sea. If this is their plan, I would also expect the ocean to be rough leaving Nassau as well as Sunday and Monday. Another option would be Key West Saturday then Sunday at sea south of the Florida keys.

Edited by Mr305

That's an upgrade! I've been to both places and much prefer Key West. Lots to see and do on foot. The Conch Train is fun and inexpensive as well, if you don't care for a lot of walking.

Flying into miami from nashville tomorrow for a bahamas cruise on the Ecstasy. Seriously thinking of pulling the plug on this trip...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Come on, it will be fun! I am going on there... This isn't going to ruin my weekend. :D

For those of you leaving from Miami this weekend on the Ectasy, plan to encounter delays on returning to Miami on Monday if the storm follows the advertised path. Once the Tropical Storm or Hurricane Warnings are announced, the port will close and from past experiences, they don't usually open right away. The last example of this was with Hurricane Sandy, the Sky and Imagination were both delayed in getting back to port.

Would not be surprised if Carnival attempts to visit Nassau on Saturday then run west to avoid the storm and spend Sunday and possibly Monday at sea. If this is their plan, I would also expect the ocean to be rough leaving Nassau as well as Sunday and Monday. Another option would be Key West Saturday then Sunday at sea south of the Florida keys.

All part of the adventure. :D

South Florida ports are now on WHISKEY alert:

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-sets-port-condition-whiskey-for-south-florida-ports/2015/08/27/

MIAMI – Effective 8:00 p.m. Thursday, Capt. Austin Gould, Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP), set port condition WHISKEY for Port Miami, Miami River, Port Everglades, Port of Palm Beach, Port of Ft. Pierce, and all other South Florida terminals and facilities due to the expectation that sustained gale force winds generated by Tropical Storm Erika may arrive within 72 hours.

I don't see how the ship will be back to port on time given that the storm will be in the general vicinity during the day on Monday. Make sure to get your seasickness supplies in order, have a feeling you'll be experiencing some rough seas during your cruise.

Also, if they announce warnings during the day tomorrow for the general population, expect traffic to go downhill quickly. Additionally, employers might release their employees early to allow adequate prep time.

Plan on getting to the port early, don't wait until the last minute in case traffic gets bad. Also read that the Majesty of the Seas will now begin boarding at 4pm instead of their usual 11am to 3pm. This change will contribute to delays at the port and possibly congestion.

I don't see how the ship will be back to port on time given that the storm will be in the general vicinity during the day on Monday. Make sure to get your seasickness supplies in order, have a feeling you'll be experiencing some rough seas during your cruise.

Also, if they announce warnings during the day tomorrow for the general population, expect traffic to go downhill quickly. Additionally, employers might release their employees early to allow adequate prep time.

Plan on getting to the port early, don't wait until the last minute in case traffic gets bad. Also read that the Majesty of the Seas will now begin boarding at 4pm instead of their usual 11am to 3pm. This change will contribute to delays at the port and possibly congestion.

When you say delayed are you thinking like delayed until Tuesday? or delayed until Monday night/afternoon

Look at the hurricane center advisory, the storm is near South Florida on Monday. If that pans out, would expect the ship to be back in port late in the day Monday or Tuesday. All depends how strong the storm gets, its proximity to land and how soon the port is surveyed post storm so that an all clear can be given.

This could all go the other way, weak storm to just a tropical wave resulting in bad weather for the weekend with a bit of wind but no port closures. I think we will know more by tomorrow, late in the day or evening. The fact that Carnival is hanging on to their cards, hard to predict the storm's path and intensity, says it all right now. As for the coast guard announcement, I say that's procedural, takes time to ready the port and get all the ships out in time.

Edited by Mr305

I would think if storm tracked right over Miami or just south the port will see large swells and storm surge and the port will definitely close. Large swells = smashing boats into docks and causing damage. If the storm tracks to the north of Miami then they might be able to get into port sooner as swells on the south side of tropical storms and hurricanes tend to be a lot less next to land masses. No time or distance for swells or waves to grow in height.