Tropical storm (potentialy hurricane) Erika

teampayne

We board on 11 september so we are keeping an eye on the next one that is brewing. Really not much we can do about it. I would love to go to Aruba, Curacao but I will be on vacation and as long as the ships sails I will be happy wherever it goes.

It is the chance we take when booking at the height of hurricane season.

Enjoy your cruise!!

We are due to board the Sunshine on Saturday and I'm getting increasingly worried about this http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?5-daynl#contents.Any advice or words of wisdom greatly received.

Why worry? Nothing you can do about it;) Go with the flow and go where ever the ship takes you and enjoy it.

Why worry? Nothing you can do about it;) Go with the flow and go where ever the ship takes you and enjoy it.

Thanks, I keep telling myself that but I suffer with anxiety so this is making me worse.As long as we go somewhere and manage to board I'll be happy but as you say there Isn't anything I can do about it anyway.

The current track is for Ericka to be just north of PR on Friday as a TS and then Turks Caicao's on Saturday and Bahamas on Sunday. (possibly a H1 by then), but many models show it turning north sooner. PR should be out of the danger zone by the weekend and South Florida still okay on Sunday. Plenty of room to hug the Fl coast and turn under the storm if heading to the Eastern C.

Of course all of this is spec at the moment. If Erika stays a little tot he south it may go the way of Danny and get chewed up over Hispaniola. So stay tuned.

We are due to board the Sunshine on Saturday and I'm getting increasingly worried about this http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at5.shtml?5-daynl#contents.Any advice or words of wisdom greatly received.

Several years ago, on a Western Carib. itinerary, in September, one of our stops was to be Grand Cayman. However, due to bad weather, we had to skip that port and ended up with an extra day at sea. The greatest danger was that many people ended up with a higher bar bill that day. :D I'm sure you'll have a great cruise despite any itinerary changes that may (or may not) occur.

Thanks, I keep telling myself that but I suffer with anxiety so this is making me worse.As long as we go somewhere and manage to board I'll be happy but as you say there Isn't anything I can do about it anyway.

Given the above, perhaps you should not schedule during hurricane season. :confused:

If your leaving Saturday you should be ok. It's a really big if that storm even gets close to Florida by then. Cruise ships will never be in port when a hurricane or tropical storm hits. They will load up passengers and leave to get out of the way of the storm. They can out run the storm and go in a different direction out of the storms path. I bet the ship leaves Saturday full of passengers and heads straight south around the tip of Florida out of the way of the storm and then heads for its ports but probably not in your itinerarys order. They could mix it up depending on the storm and even schedule different ports. Tropical storm Danny took the same path as Erika is projected to take and Danny reached hurricane for about 2 days before reaching leeward islands and then quickly fizzled away to a depression before reaching the islands. And even know after a week starting right where tropical storm Erika is now , what's left of Danny is sitting over San Juan. I wouldn't worry about not being able to go though.

How many times have cruised been canceled completely due to a storm? Port changes or cancellations do not change the fact that I am on a cruise. This is just the down side to cruising this time of year as snow up North might impact cruising in the winter or crowds during the summer.

How many times have cruised been canceled completely due to a storm? Port changes or cancellations do not change the fact that I am on a cruise. This is just the down side to cruising this time of year as snow up North might impact cruising in the winter or crowds during the summer.

Last October my B2B on the Conquest eastern then western turned into a double western cruise. Was fun anyway.

This year I'm doing a land vacation in Turks and Caicos. I should be arriving 8 hours or so before Erika gets there according to the morning forecast. Should be fun anyway.

I live in Central Florida and am sailing sat on the valor at worst the storm will be in Florida Monday or Tuesday on next week at worst its a missed port or change to the Western

Lovetocruise - I'm on that sailing and live in central Florida (Umatilla), too. Are you on the rollcall for that cruise and/or the BOOK place site Carnival Valor 8/29/2015? I'm also wondering if they might just reverse the order of our ports and go around Jamaica. Time will tell.

Mary

I am leaving on the Gem Saturday 8/29/15 and supposed to be in Port Canaveral Monday 8/31, Great Stirrup Cay Tuesday 9/1/15, and Nassau Wednesday 9/2/15.

any idea of how this may be affected by the potential hurricane? we are leaving from NY

According to NOAA the storm may become hurricane Erica the track puts the hurricane hitting South Florida this weekend which is not good news for cruises ships. Hopefully wind shear would be great enough in the upper levels of the atmosphere to tear the hurricane apart and down grade it to a T.S. or less.

Gary

Good website with all the models and it's updated frequently. So many variables, just keep tabs, jump on the boat and have fun. It's not the cruise line's first rodeo dealing with these storms and yes they do try their best to follow the routes, but some changes could happen.

http://spaghettimodels.com/

Love the link!!:cool:

Hurricane hunters are doing their thing right now. data should be in the modeling for tonight/tomorrow. At present there are conflicting models, a couple say Erika goes the way of Danny. All depends on how much the dry air and wind shear chew into the body of the storm over the next couple of days and then how a low front moving east might steer the storm northward or not affect it.

Unless cruise lines specifically cancel your cruise or delay it, show up. Whether or not you'll get to the ports you planned on or go somewhere else, or just have a cruise to nowhere, go with the flow and make the best without the stress over something you have no control.

I Cruise ships will never be in port when a hurricane or tropical storm hits.

No exactly... Hurricane Sandy10/2012 Caribbean Princes left Brooklyn (NYC) on Saturday and Sunday night we were tied up in Boston with 21 lines over and two tugs pushing us against the pier.

We stayed in Boston the entire week, not allowed off the ship, No Custom people made it to work, no foreign port of call PSA violation, couldn't get extemption since no one made it to work to give it.

Wednesday allowed off the ship into Boston but told to return, ended up going back to NYC on Friday though Princess did get some buses to let people off in Boston.

So we DID stay in port during the storm, a broken window or two was the damage.