When to Book a Transatlantic Cruise-2015

I would say NOW..

You could do the guarantee cabin early booking and you have great chance of being moved up the ladder as one would say.

You could book and pick your cabin and still watch the deals as then you would be credited the difference to your room till final payment..

And some lines give double rewards for booking in advance so depending on what line you wish to build your status with this helps alot...

• 3 weeks later...

I booked our TA for April 2015 in Dec 2013 and I am glad I did. My balcony started at $979pp and is now over $2,000 pp:eek:.

If you aren't picky about what cabin you want, then I've been told to wait until after final payment (mine is in February for a cruise leaving end of April).

We booked our TA six weeks out for our TA last year. Saved a bundle...it was a great deal. Got a very nice balcony gty on the port site (going to Florida). Far better than if we had booked earlier (we were watching the pricing of 4 or 5 different ships).

Our friends just got off a TA. They booked months in advance and got a fabulous price on their balcony gty. Far better than if they had booked later.

It is a crap shoot based on supply and demand. If you are flexible and not stuck on one specific ship then you may do well. I think personality comes into it as well. We now have our heads around doing last minute specials and it has worked well for us because we are retired and very flexible. Not so for others. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others

if you want a specific cabin or location book early if it does not matter wait until closer to sailing & hope you get a cabin

We booked in Sept 2013 for May 2015 ..I like to know where my cabin will be ..

I plan to book after final payment. Location is not very important to us but we do want an unobstructed balcony view. We have sailed mid-ship (preferred), aft and will try very forward on our upcoming cruise. This past Spring, there were such good last minute deals on various cruises and the flights were reasonable so hopefully it will be similar in 2015.

• 4 weeks later...
Are you booking a crossing or a repositioning TA?

Hello All ~ We are currently booked on the Transatlantic Iberian Peninsular cruise departing Ft Lauderdale in April. We know we're "crossing" the Atlantic (the Transatlantic part!) ocean. We also know that the ship will remain in Europe for the summer season. To us, a crossing or repositioning are one in the same. However, after reviewing CC comments we're now confused. Is there a difference between them and if yes, what might it be? :confused: (The state of Confusion is not the best state.)

Thanks!

This is how I look at it:

Both Crossings and Repositionings are transatlantics. These cruises give you an opportunity to travel inland in Europe before or after.

Crossing: sort of like Cunard that just goes back and forth with few if any port stops on the way. It is the "ship experience".

Repositioning: There are a variety of itineraries making it more of an adventure in travel with the opportunity to sample different countries and cultures along the way. The ship is either just starting a season (Baltic or Mediterranean) or coming back to winter in the Caribbean so there is a bit more excitement. These cruises are traditionally a great cruising bargain.

As far as when to book, I think it is best to hop on early. The planning can be intense and great fun and so you have the time to plan and consider excursions and travel details. In Europe, some of the best options get booked very early and so your trip may be much more expensive if you book at the last minute. For example, in Copenhagen, we booked a great little hotel right at the Nyhavn Canal (one of Rick Steve's and Tripadvisors recs) and it gets booked up 9 months in advance. So, we likely saved $300 right there. The total costs of a trip need to be considered. Europe CAN be very expensive but is SO much better than a routine Caribbean beach vacation, IMHO.

• 7 months later...
This is how I look at it:

Both Crossings and Repositionings are transatlantics. These cruises give you an opportunity to travel inland in Europe before or after.

Crossing: sort of like Cunard that just goes back and forth with few if any port stops on the way. It is the "ship experience".

Repositioning: There are a variety of itineraries making it more of an adventure in travel with the opportunity to sample different countries and cultures along the way. The ship is either just starting a season (Baltic or Mediterranean) or coming back to winter in the Caribbean so there is a bit more excitement. These cruises are traditionally a great cruising bargain.

As far as when to book, I think it is best to hop on early. The planning can be intense and great fun and so you have the time to plan and consider excursions and travel details. In Europe, some of the best options get booked very early and so your trip may be much more expensive if you book at the last minute. For example, in Copenhagen, we booked a great little hotel right at the Nyhavn Canal (one of Rick Steve's and Tripadvisors recs) and it gets booked up 9 months in advance. So, we likely saved $300 right there. The total costs of a trip need to be considered. Europe CAN be very expensive but is SO much better than a routine Caribbean beach vacation, IMHO.

Actually a repositioning could be moving from Alaska to Florida. A TA is across the pond.