THANK YOU and Question

mina

Over the past months, I have asked several questions about booking FF tickets to europe!! You have provided great insight (Ducklite, Globaliser and others!) on least demand days, etc. Just wanted to let you know that I SCORED!!! Two US Airways business class seats for 50k miles each from Phx to Barcelona return from Venice to Phx (Sept 28 2015 and Oct 13 2015)!!!!! So excited!! So, now a final question. On the A330-300 (plane from Venice to PHL) where do you exit the plane on arrival in PHL? On the seat guru map it looks like there are two exits -- one in the front of Envoy class and one between Envoy and economy. I have read that US AIR does not hold economy passengers to let Envoy exit the plane first when you use the exit between economy and Envoy. So, to make a QUICK exit from the plane - should we request seats in the back of Envoy? I know this sounds silly, but we have a 3 hour connection in PHL and my DH will need to stop outside for a smoke before we board the PHL to PHX flight. Since we plan to travel with only a carry on and backpack each, I would like to get him through customs/immigration as fast as possible. Thoughts?

It is a good chance they will use both exits. Larger planes do this, and the largest plane out there, the A380 actually uses 3 exits.

3 hours is plenty of time in PHL. While you might sit to the rear of Envoy, I don't think you need to worry too much about this.

Over the past months, I have asked several questions about booking FF tickets to europe!! You have provided great insight (Ducklite, Globaliser and others!) on least demand days, etc. Just wanted to let you know that I SCORED!!! Two US Airways business class seats for 50k miles each from Phx to Barcelona return from Venice to Phx (Sept 28 2015 and Oct 13 2015)!!!!! So excited!! So, now a final question. On the A330-300 (plane from Venice to PHL) where do you exit the plane on arrival in PHL? On the seat guru map it looks like there are two exits -- one in the front of Envoy class and one between Envoy and economy. I have read that US AIR does not hold economy passengers to let Envoy exit the plane first when you use the exit between economy and Envoy. So, to make a QUICK exit from the plane - should we request seats in the back of Envoy? I know this sounds silly, but we have a 3 hour connection in PHL and my DH will need to stop outside for a smoke before we board the PHL to PHX flight. Since we plan to travel with only a carry on and backpack each, I would like to get him through customs/immigration as fast as possible. Thoughts?

They will only use one exit. PHL isn't equipped for multiple jetways like some other airports are. I have never flown a 777 on US where they used anything other than the exit between economy and Envoy. The further back in Envoy and close to the port side of the plane, the faster you should get off.

No, they don't hold economy until Envoy has deplaned.

Three hours will be enough time for him to have a smoke unless your flight is seriously delayed. Fortunately the security lines at A West are usually pretty fast.

The fastest way through security is by utilizing Global Entry. If you plan on regular overseas trips it might be worth the investment.

Where are you connecting to? If you have to go to the dump (T-F) you need to plan on a minimum of 30 minutes from the time you clear CBP until you get off the bus at F. It's a 10+ minute walk to A-1 where you get the shuttle, five when you get off the shuttle to the gate in F. If it's busy you might not get on the first shuttle, and then you might sit on the tarmac waiting for clearance from ground control to continue. If it were me, I would probably have him do the smoke outside F after he gets off the bus unless you have a lot of time. Be the first off and he'll have a couple minutes before they begin to fuss at him.

Edited by ducklite

Even if they only use one door and don't hold back economy passengers you will still be filtered through the door in a fairly even flow of some from econ and some from biz. The A330 only has 28 Biz seats and 263 economy passenger. You will be in the first 60 people (at worst) off the plane.

I personally wouldn't take the seats furthest back as they are near the galley and the lavatory. The noise and lights are bothersome especially on the outbound night flights to Europe. It is also pain when you are nearing approach there will be a line of people (even in Envoy) who all wake up decide that they need to use the lavatory/brush teeth before landing.

If would go for seats near the midpoint of the Envoy cabin.

Even if they only use one door and don't hold back economy passengers you will still be filtered through the door in a fairly even flow of some from econ and some from biz. The A330 only has 28 Biz seats and 263 economy passenger. You will be in the first 60 people (at worst) off the plane.

I personally wouldn't take the seats furthest back as they are near the galley and the lavatory. The noise and lights are bothersome especially on the outbound night flights to Europe. It is also pain when you are nearing approach there will be a line of people (even in Envoy) who all wake up decide that they need to use the lavatory/brush teeth before landing.

If would go for seats near the midpoint of the Envoy cabin.

Midpoint works, but again, Port side is key.

The Envoy galley is in the front of the Envoy cabin and the economy galley is in the rear. There is one lav in the front port side and two more in the rear, one on either side.

In the 777-300 there are 28 seats in Envoy. This is the equipment most often used on the PHL to FCO route. The rear lavs are ahead of the economy galley, and FA's do a good job of not allowing economy passengers to use them--obviously the elderly, disabled, and small children are excepted.

In the 777-200 the rear Envoy lavs are actually kind of part of the main cabin, and behind the galley, and it's harder for FA's to shoo economy passengers out of them.

They will only use one exit. PHL isn't equipped for multiple jetways like some other airports are. I have never flown a 777 on US where they used anything other than the exit between economy and Envoy.
And this link should take you to a Google Maps photo of a 330-200 (the shorter-body version of the 330) at the concourse at PHL that I think is used for international arrivals. (Wait for the page to load fully, including the oblique photo view.)

I'm glad that mina has got tickets that she's happy with - well done.

Great info, thank you. We are connecting to us air phl to phx. So hopefully, the connection will not be that far away. Good tip on being on the port side. We will actually be in the middle seats as it's a day flight so we might want to talk, so we will just have to work our way out. The plane is a 330-300 so there are seven envoy rows. I will take row six. One last question, if we do need to check one bag (if I buy too much stuff!) will he still have time for a smoke or will I just have to resist the urge to buy too many things?

. One last question, if we do need to check one bag (if I buy too much stuff!) will he still have time for a smoke or will I just have to resist the urge to buy too many things?

That won't matter. If he only has carry-ons, he can leave the airport to smoke, and you can pick up your checked bag, clear customs, and drop it off for your next flight yourself. He doesn't have to be there.

Midpoint works, but again, Port side is key.

The Envoy galley is in the front of the Envoy cabin and the economy galley is in the rear. There is one lav in the front port side and two more in the rear, one on either side.

In the 777-300 there are 28 seats in Envoy. This is the equipment most often used on the PHL to FCO route. The rear lavs are ahead of the economy galley, and FA's do a good job of not allowing economy passengers to use them--obviously the elderly, disabled, and small children are excepted.

In the 777-200 the rear Envoy lavs are actually kind of part of the main cabin, and behind the galley, and it's harder for FA's to shoo economy passengers out of them.

Envoy? 777s? Has US started using AA's aircraft on certain routes now?

Envoy? 777s? Has US started using AA's aircraft on certain routes now?

I was wondering that myself. Now if they were to put one of those shinny new AA 777-300 three cabin birds on this route then we would be talking. :D (I'm trying to bank enough miles to take it from DFW-HKG for a little weekend getaway next year myself)

I was wondering that myself. Now if they were to put one of those shinny new AA 777-300 three cabin birds on this route then we would be talking. :D (I'm trying to bank enough miles to take it from DFW-HKG for a little weekend getaway next year myself)

That 77W is lovely in J. Was on it last week from GRU, and I'm doing the HKG run next month. However, returning on CX (with the same J hard product) because their soft product is significantly better in my opinion.

That 77W is lovely in J. Was on it last week from GRU, and I'm doing the HKG run next month. However, returning on CX (with the same J hard product) because their soft product is significantly better in my opinion.

I have a friend in Los Angeles who has done the LAX-HKG run a few times on CX in J for business (company paid of course) she said it was wonderful. And of course she wasn't staying in some cheap airport hotel either. :eek:

I have a friend in Los Angeles who has done the LAX-HKG run a few times on CX in J for business (company paid of course) she said it was wonderful. And of course she wasn't staying in some cheap airport hotel either. :eek:

Can't go to Hong Kong and not stay at a nice hotel! Compared to other world cities the creme de la creme of the hotels are amongst the best value.

I'll never go to Hong Kong and not stay at the Peninsula with the RR Phantom pickup. Did it on my first trip to the city and won't do it any other way now.

Edited by fbgd

Can't go to Hong Kong and not stay at a nice hotel! Compared to other world cities the creme de la creme of the hotels are amongst the best value.

I'll never go to Hong Kong and not stay at the Peninsula with the RR Phantom pickup. Did it on my first trip to the city and won't do it any other way now.

I tend to do most of my hotel stays at Hilton properties so I am banking as many hilton points as I can for a stay at the Conrad in HK. I guess I have just reached the point in my life where I want decent meals/hotels/air travel and doing travel on the cheap just doesn't fly (no pun intended) with me anymore.

I tend to do most of my hotel stays at Hilton properties so I am banking as many hilton points as I can for a stay at the Conrad in HK. I guess I have just reached the point in my life where I want decent meals/hotels/air travel and doing travel on the cheap just doesn't fly (no pun intended) with me anymore.

Well, if the RR Phantom pickup and Peninsula is too cheap for you there's always the helicopter transfer option to their rooftop helipad! Adds a few dollars to your stay.

Conrad is the best. With my hilton status I have at times ended up with a two room corner suite with a butler. I had no desire to leave the hotel, and tried to think of random stuff for my butler to get me.

Well, if the RR Phantom pickup and Peninsula is too cheap for you there's always the helicopter transfer option to their rooftop helipad! Adds a few dollars to your stay.

I wasn't talking about this place, just in general. I just see so many posts on this website of folks wanting the cheapest airfare (even if the flight times are crap and it has 4 stops), and asking for a "cheap hotel near the port as we don't want/need anything fancy" that I just can't do that. I don't stay on the road for close to 300 days a year so I can sit in a cramped middle set on a red eye flight with 3 stops then stay in a cheap motel when I go on vacation. I spend enough nights at crappy truck stops and eat enough bad (tasting and non healthy) food that I splurge when it is time to relax. ;)

I wasn't talking about this place, just in general. I just see so many posts on this website of folks wanting the cheapest airfare (even if the flight times are crap and it has 4 stops), and asking for a "cheap hotel near the port as we don't want/need anything fancy" that I just can't do that. I don't stay on the road for close to 300 days a year so I can sit in a cramped middle set on a red eye flight with 3 stops then stay in a cheap motel when I go on vacation. I spend enough nights at crappy truck stops and eat enough bad (tasting and non healthy) food that I splurge when it is time to relax. ;)

Agreed. I thought it was just me noticing the high proportion of cheapskates on here ;)

Although I don't travel for work when it comes to travel I'm not afraid to splurge for flights in some form of comfort and better hotels.

Agree, especially "reasonable" and New York City used in same sentence and poster has budget of $150 a night for a room.

Unless you want to go 90 minutes into Upstate NY or across the border into PA, $150 isn't buying anything even remotely nice. Maybe if you get lucky you might find something near EWR, but even the nicer places there are iffy IMHO.