Airline/Airport Message Boards?

Spa girl nana

Do any of you know if there is a message board, similar to Cruise Critic, where folks can discuss airlines and air ports? I've been do a little searching, and not finding anything. Transportation for my cruise next spring will be with an airline I've never flown on, as well as 5 different airports I've never been through. Thanks.

You do have a 'Cruise Air' section of Cruise Critic as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

The destination pages here on cruise critic sometimes are also good places for air and airport related posts.

While flyertalk.com is an excellent site for some purposes, it is heavily geared toward very frequent flyers and depending on the carrier the posts can get a bit lost in the mix.

Does this site have forums? Anyway, it's generally regarded as a piece of [insert favourite pejorative] that's highly unreliable.

I agree with MADflyer that the OP might want to start by searching this forum (Cruise Air) first. Most questions that people think of have already been answered dozens of times, and those who know the correct answers and have the best advice aren't going to post them again every single time that the question is asked. If the question hasn't already been answered, then some of us may have some answers to give.

FlyerTalk is a place where you definitely ought to search thoroughly before you ask a question, even if it's no longer expected that you should spend a couple of hours doing so (as it was when I joined it).

Just be warned......If you think this website can get a bit "nasty" or "rude" you will be in for a rude of awaking on flyer talk. (especially if you dare say anything but bad things on an airline such as UA). It does have a wealth of info, if you are willing to dig through a bunch of crap. Just be sure you do a lengthy search before you start asking questions as many folks over there have no patience for new people and think everyone reads the boards nonstop.

milepost is smaller and less busy. but generally a bit more friendly (they will call you to the principal office if you get out of hand and start a post war. (yes, i know this from personal experience :eek: ))

Do any of you know if there is a message board, similar to Cruise Critic, where folks can discuss airlines and air ports? I've been do a little searching, and not finding anything. Transportation for my cruise next spring will be with an airline I've never flown on, as well as 5 different airports I've never been through. Thanks.

Why not just ask us here. Many of us are also on FlyerTalk and can probably offer solid advice.

I do agree with others, FlyerTalk typically doesn't have a lot of patience with people who don't talk the talk so to speak.

Tripadvisor also has an Airline/Airport forum:)

I would still choose FlyerTalk over Tripadvisor. FlyerTalk may be a bit harsh at times, but it's full of people who really, truly know what they're talking about. I fly 100,000+ miles BIS every year and still look at many FlyerTalk pages and have no idea what they're talking about. These people practically live in planes.

Why not just ask us here. Many of us are also on FlyerTalk and can probably offer solid advice.

I do agree with others, FlyerTalk typically doesn't have a lot of patience with people who don't talk the talk so to speak.

I would still choose FlyerTalk over Tripadvisor. FlyerTalk may be a bit harsh at times, but it's full of people who really, truly know what they're talking about. I fly 100,000+ miles BIS every year and still look at many FlyerTalk pages and have no idea what they're talking about. These people practically live in planes.

Also (and this would be, IMO, a hugely welcome innovation to this board) FT has a new "information desk" board, targeted to newbies and for those with simple questions (which, alas, often aren't as simple as they think.) In addition, most of the major sub-forums, such as individual airline boards, have "newbie lounges" - advertised (and in my experience, practically so) as "flame free" - for example this one on the American Airlines board - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-merger/1537429-2014-newbie-lounge-ask-your-aa-related-questions-here-flame-free.html

In my opinion (and full disclosure, I'm a volunteer mod at FT for the Oneworld board) FT is far more welcoming to newbies and infrequent flyers than it was a few years ago.

Between Cruise Critic, Flyertalk, Tripadvisor, Milepoint and Fodors (and nobody's mentioned airliners.net) one sees pretty different poster profiles and I assume demographics. One thing I've noticed at CC is that the search function doesn't seem to be promoted or used very much, so a lot of questions come up again and again. By comparison, moderation on FT is MUCH more active as well, with threads being merged or moved as deemed useful by the mods.

Tripadvisor is okay, but much more oriented to leisure travel, with a fairly heavy British and Australian focus. (How many questions can possibly be asked about Thompson Dreamliner seating?) Fodor's is far less active than the rest, and Milepoint (which was created after the founder sold FT) is, sadly, not very active at all.

I would not deter people from reading (and posting) on FT, but I would also strongly suggest that the search function at CC be given more emphasis - many of the answers are already here, just buried.

LOL! No doubt. Add to that the various regional slangs, and it can be very difficult to glean the info you want. I have been lurking in the BA board as I have a F r/t booked and want to make full use of the CCR and other amenities. I know they are speaking English, but sometimes I haven't a clue what they are talking about.

I know they are speaking English, but sometimes I haven't a clue what they are talking about.
Sorry! ;)

I did have an interesting experience on the UA board on FT a few years back. I'd experienced some - shall we say - "interesting" flying, and wanted to know if anyone had contact details for me to pass on the information so that flight safety could do with it what they wished. I said that I did not need or want to know what had happened or what would be done as a result. Even so, from the reaction I got, you'd have thought that I'd just threatened to murder all of their favourite grandmothers.

Also (and this would be, IMO, a hugely welcome innovation to this board) FT has a new "information desk" board, targeted to newbies and for those with simple questions (which, alas, often aren't as simple as they think.) In addition, most of the major sub-forums, such as individual airline boards, have "newbie lounges" - advertised (and in my experience, practically so) as "flame free" - for example this one on the American Airlines board - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-merger/1537429-2014-newbie-lounge-ask-your-aa-related-questions-here-flame-free.html

In my opinion (and full disclosure, I'm a volunteer mod at FT for the Oneworld board) FT is far more welcoming to newbies and infrequent flyers than it was a few years ago.

Between Cruise Critic, Flyertalk, Tripadvisor, Milepoint and Fodors (and nobody's mentioned airliners.net) one sees pretty different poster profiles and I assume demographics. One thing I've noticed at CC is that the search function doesn't seem to be promoted or used very much, so a lot of questions come up again and again. By comparison, moderation on FT is MUCH more active as well, with threads being merged or moved as deemed useful by the mods.

Tripadvisor is okay, but much more oriented to leisure travel, with a fairly heavy British and Australian focus. (How many questions can possibly be asked about Thompson Dreamliner seating?) Fodor's is far less active than the rest, and Milepoint (which was created after the founder sold FT) is, sadly, not very active at all.

I would not deter people from reading (and posting) on FT, but I would also strongly suggest that the search function at CC be given more emphasis - many of the answers are already here, just buried.

I like airliners.net and have been a member for something like 10 years now, but it's not as good of a place to ask travel related questions. It is more filled with "AA is starting JFK-EDI" and "LH purchases 25x A350" type threads (which I personally love) rather than trip-specific questions.

The AA newbie lounge on FlyerTalk is a good one. I try to check that out on a regular basis as an AA frequent flier who tries not to be an ass too often (too often...)

Finally, I do say that FT is a bit kinder than it used to be a few years back, for sure. But still can be intimidating for a newbie who just has a "simple" question.

I like airliners.net and have been a member for something like 10 years now, but it's not as good of a place to ask travel related questions. It is more filled with "AA is starting JFK-EDI" and "LH purchases 25x A350" type threads (which I personally love) rather than trip-specific questions.

The AA newbie lounge on FlyerTalk is a good one. I try to check that out on a regular basis as an AA frequent flier who tries not to be an ass too often (too often...)

Finally, I do say that FT is a bit kinder than it used to be a few years back, for sure. But still can be intimidating for a newbie who just has a "simple" question.

I might have to start poking around again over on FT. I left a few years ago because I was told I didn't know what i was talking about. (It was right after UA went to their currant computer system and they had some "issues". A few days later after things had calmed down, I was at IAH and dropped a friend off and things were running normal again. I dared post this on the UA section and was told I didn't know what i was talking about because the folks had "herd" that things were all messed up and there were lines out the door and people were on the verge of rioting. I even had one poster say he(she) hoped I got cancer because I was such and idiot. :eek: this was the point I at which i pulled the rip cord and bailed out on FT.) Sounds like the adults might have returned over there.

I've been a member on quite a few of the sites mentioned here over the course of the last 10 yrs.

Flyertalk definitely has a frequent flyer scheme focus but naturally some aspects to the flying experience come into that. Having been a regular poster for a number of years, as is the same with any forum, repeat questions get extremely tiresome, especially when provision is made through decent Wikis or Stickies on the forums themselves. As it is more focussed you can expect short shrift when posting basic questions.

Airliners.net is more plane spottery. I personally wouldn't ask questions there but I see it as more of a place to discuss aviation news and trip reports, the latter being the only reason I post on there anymore, and I don't even do those regularly!

I might have to start poking around again over on FT. I left a few years ago because I was told I didn't know what i was talking about. (It was right after UA went to their currant computer system and they had some "issues". A few days later after things had calmed down, I was at IAH and dropped a friend off and things were running normal again. I dared post this on the UA section and was told I didn't know what i was talking about because the folks had "herd" that things were all messed up and there were lines out the door and people were on the verge of rioting. I even had one poster say he(she) hoped I got cancer because I was such and idiot. :eek: this was the point I at which i pulled the rip cord and bailed out on FT.) Sounds like the adults might have returned over there.

Holy hell.

I will say that I've almost never been on the UA page. I am mostly on the AA page, and occasionally US, CX, BA and QF. Lesser so on WN. For all I know, the UA page could still be brutal. But the ones I frequent are better than they used to be.

Holy hell.

I will say that I've almost never been on the UA page. I am mostly on the AA page, and occasionally US, CX, BA and QF. Lesser so on WN. For all I know, the UA page could still be brutal. But the ones I frequent are better than they used to be.

I spent most of my time on BAnter forum. Was a friendly crowd there and I know quite a few people there in real life, the other fora seemed a little joyless but delivered on information.