Chair Hogging - Best way to combat it?

Ocean_Waves

What is the best way to combat chair hogging? Would you find a chair that you wanted that was empty, but obtained a personal item on it and wait the allotted amount of time and remove said item and take the chair if the owner never showed back up?

What could be the repercussions of doing so? If you gave the item to a worker and either said it was a found item or told them you took it off of a "hogged chair" could you get in trouble for it?

How would you take care of the situation when the "Chair hogger" returned only to find you in "their" chair?

One strategy you could try is to take the items off the chair and move the chair to another spot.

Or if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Go out early and put a few towels out. So many chair hogs; it's hard to fight it.

If you get out on deck by 10am you're usually ok. The chairs right in front of the pools are the most subject to hogging. Go up a deck and there is usually a lot more inventory.

Wait a reasonable amount of time. Remove items and give to RCI employee. When chair hog returns smile and say something in a foreign language and pretend you don't speak English.

:D:D:D:D YES! YES 100% to this!!!!! that's funny.

So far, we've NEVER been unable to find loungers, even with the "chair hogs" out and active! I really have better things to do with my vacation time than timing someone's absence from their lounger.

Now, if I'm sitting near chairs with "junk" on them, and someone asks if anyone is using those chairs, I will tell them what I've seen....which is usually no one sitting in those "hogged" chairs!

Wait a reasonable amount of time. Remove items and give to RCI employee. When chair hog returns smile and say something in a foreign language and pretend you don't speak English.

That doesn't always work.....We saw an RCI pool staff remove items from two chairs just as we walked up so we sat down...Shortly we were being spoken to very harshly in Italian and given very dirty looks...we didn't have to speak Italian to know what they were saying...but the ones who got the worse of it were the family members that were being blamed for not watching the chairs better....Luckily the pool staff intervened :eek:

We've just got of Rhapsody and there is a sign in the Solarium that says something like.... "Personal items and towels left on lounges for longer than 30 minutes, can be reclaimed at the Towel Kiosk."

Doesn't mention who takes them there!:D

This is the only sign I saw on Liberty

IMG_0314_zpsa0d8f671.jpg

First of all I just wish to state I have no problem with chair hoggers, they can have the chairs they want, and after 45 min, if no one shows then I will just

well, um...............

I will just bring chairs from another area, move their chairs with their belongings and put my chairs where theirs are, then re-locate their chairs to a different location:eek:.

I dont want to touch their stuff.

They can have the chairs.

Now if I only had the courage to do this:D.

On the Allure last July never had a problem finding a chair close to the pool, might not have been the exact one, but, we were able to find some.

Sea Ya

This is such an overblown problem on Cruise Critic. We too have never had a problem finding chairs. If you want a good seat, get there early otherwise you'll have to scout them out. Touch other people's property and your asking for trouble. The whining on Cruise Critic just makes it look like a bigger problem than it is.

While I don't like trouble while I'm on vacation...I have moved the belongings of people who went MIA for an extended period of time. I simply carried the towels to the station, and plopped myself right down. :cool:

Although I did post #9 an experience we had.

What I would like to know for those of you that have moved other's belongings...How did you know just how long they had been left unattended ? Seems like you could have asked someone sitting near by and hoped they had noticed and taken their word for it...or did you actually sit somewhere else watching and time it yourself :confused:

This is such an overblown problem on Cruise Critic. We too have never had a problem finding chairs. If you want a good seat, get there early otherwise you'll have to scout them out. Touch other people's property and your asking for trouble. The whining on Cruise Critic just makes it look like a bigger problem than it is.

What qualifies as a "good seat"? Personally I have no desire squeezing into chairs right up against each other just so I can look at all the 'overly large' bodies around the pool. When we want to sit on the upper deck in a lounge chair, we go either forward or to the rear and there are plenty of chairs available away from the mobs. We rarely look to find a chair in the Solarium. It is even worse that outside because it is a closed area and after a few hours, it just plain stinks in there.

Edited by edjny

Must be a Texan thing as we do the same!:D

We get on our balcony and I send DH for drinks and snacks, he actually enjoys roaming the ship w/o on these 'chow runs', just love my Marine.

One strategy you could try is to take the items off the chair and move the chair to another spot.

Or if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Go out early and put a few towels out. So many chair hogs; it's hard to fight it.

If you get out on deck by 10am you're usually ok. The chairs right in front of the pools are the most subject to hogging. Go up a deck and there is usually a lot more inventory.

If it's a towel & I see it not removed for say 30 min. or so, then I'll remove the towel. Personal belongings...A little more cautious there. I'd get an attendant to handle it. I only had an issue once. I basically told the offender who had been gone for over 2 hours while I was on the lounger to @#%$%$. She was really nasty & said she had the "right" to claim the seat as long as she wanted. Not polite, but oh well!

I disagree - it is a problem on some ships. We always go to the solarium -- I was on the Independence 2 weeks ago and when we got up to the pool deck at 9:00 am on sea days, all the lounge chairs by the pool side had towels on them with very few people actually sitting in the chairs. I saw at least 4 people complaining to the poor pool attendant to remove towels. The poor guy told them he had to wait 30 minutes. I didn't wait to see what happened -- I have learned that people will continue to be rude and practice chair hogging by the pool. I go up one deck and there are plenty of chairs. On the Allure it wasn't as bad -- so I guess it just depends on the ship.

What is the best way to combat chair hogging? Would you find a chair that you wanted that was empty, but obtained a personal item on it and wait the allotted amount of time and remove said item and take the chair if the owner never showed back up?

What could be the repercussions of doing so? If you gave the item to a worker and either said it was a found item or told them you took it off of a "hogged chair" could you get in trouble for it?

How would you take care of the situation when the "Chair hogger" returned only to find you in "their" chair?

I have realized that there is no way to combat chair hogging. Instead of getting into confrontation at poolside -- and believe me I have seen some doozie of fights by the pool, I go up one deck and find a chair there. I'm not going to let anyone ruin my vacation

Liked !!!!!:D:D

On our last cruise a couple of years ago we noticed a group of "hogged" chaires that were empty for at least 2 hours, and when the group appeared finally, they were guys from my country. Felt a bit ashamed, but since we only "hog" chairs in our own country when "you can't beat them...", I was only pissed off as anyone else.

I might try to do as you suggested next time, even if they do speak my language...

I have only been on 1 cruise so far, the triumph last year but we never had an issue with finding a chair. I guess it's not that important to be "front Row" for us. We just wonder around and find a pair and plop down. If we see someone packing up that may be in a "better" position we just pack up and move over.

no big deal.

I feel that we are all on a cruise to relax and have a good time. No time to get all worked up because someone has their towel on the "chosen spot"

Peace brothers.

michael