Personal music and chair hogs

pretzellover

I have not had that happen (yet). MUTs is loud enough.

But another peeve that I have is people on the plane who give their kid or themselves a video game to play or movie to watch and don't give them or the kid head phones. On the ship I can move away, but on the plane I am captive! Makes me want to kick that person!

Or the person that sits playing on their phone (or texting) but has the sound turned on so you hear beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. I just want to grab the phone out of their hands. Usually these are adults too.

Just off a few Southwest flights and the flight attendants on each one had to ask a parent to use headphones on a tablet their kid was using. One mom said she didn't have headphones and the FA asked her turn off the sound. I don't know what it is about airplanes that makes people think they're in a sound bubble. The same thing applies to those parents who park an iPad in their kids' hands to keep them quiet during dinner on cruise ships. No one wants to hear cartoons while they're trying to eat!

I have to get allergy shots and the doctor's office waiting room is posted as a quiet zone--take cell phone calls outside, keep noise to a minimum, etc. There is one man who keeps the clack-clack-clack sounds turned on his iPhone keyboard. I'm surprised he hasn't been wounded by the daggers that get stared into him when he's there. People have helped him turn them off before but they always seem to get turned back on somehow.

I love my noise-cancelling headphones...

Of course MY playlist is the perfect one. It ranges from Patsy Cline, and Willy Nelson singing the Gershwin Songbooks, up through Barbara Streisand to Il Volo and Andrea Bocelli, with some Michael Ball thrown in for good measure.

Oh, lets cruise together! I was on Inspiration and there was a guy from the Philippines who sang songs and sounded just like the real singer. He had Willie Nelson down pact. I didn't think anyone could do that. I asked him how he did it and he said he didn't know, he just did. I've heard since many Philippines can do that.

I am tempted to blast some Queensryche, which I like, and see how they feel. One group was blasting Motown and another blasting pop. The adult aft pool plays 70s and 80s top 40. I am okay with that but not all three!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would get along.:D I'll see your Queensryche (Operation Mindcrime is the greatest concept album ever) and raise you some Iron Maiden and Slayer. I bet we could have the pool area all to ourselves pretty quick. :p

I have never experienced anybody playing loud music on the deck.

You have been lucky, I hear it on almost every cruise that I go on. OP has a valid point, but the people who do it are usually part of the me generation and think they are entitled.

He would likely prefer to only speak Flemish ;)

I'll deal with obnoxious people in 6 languages, so bring them on :cool:

It's awesome that you know Flemish. :-)

Even most people from our neighbouring countries think we speak Dutch. Imagine that... :eek::D

Why not confront the person yourself instead of directly calling in the reinforcements? :rolleyes:

Are you willing to start an altercation and perhaps get a punch in the nose? Someone who is bold enough and inconsiderate of others to play their music in public is not likely to turn it down or off at your polite request.

Same goes for the balcony noisemakers. That's the job of the crew.

Edited by cruzincurt

I'll deal with obnoxious people in 6 languages, so bring them on :cool:

It's awesome that you know Flemish. :-)

Even most people from our neighbouring countries think we speak Dutch. Imagine that... :eek::D

Off topic so please forgive me.

My father’s parents immigrated from St. Niklass, Belgium in 1912. I have a rare last name for both in the USA and in Belgium. Due to that I found my second cousin there. Being the wonderful people that they are, we were immediately invited over for a visit. That trip dramatically changed my life as I had never been out of the USA. This change lead to cruising and trying to see as much of the world as possible (31 countries so far). I don’t speak Flemish but I often can figure out what is said.

Again, sorry off topic.

Why do people think everyone wants to party to their music? I am on a cruise and the only dents in my time are not getting a chair and people blasting their music over the ship music. Why not use headphones? Just because you and your friends want a certain type of music, not everyone does.

I love chair hog threads and will admit to taking pictures of chair hogs. But I've never had an issue with anyone playing their music too loudly, but I'm like most other things, it will happen. Now off to read the thread!

You have been lucky, I hear it on almost every cruise that I go on. OP has a valid point, but the people who do it are usually part of the me generation and think they are entitled.

Thead hijack alert: When Royal started increasing the speed of its onboard internet and offering packages I was worried I would run into people. Fortunately I only had to jump out of one person's way. But now with Pokemon Go, that could get interesting.

I have also taken lots of Photo's of CHOG's in action.

However, As hard as I have tried, I have yet to get a good photo of Loud Obnoxious Music. Must not have the right setting on my Camera. :D

Bob

My problem with sound is the recorded music around the pool being so loud that I couldn't listen to my audio book with my earphones. I know that I could just move but sometimes it is just nice to sit in the pool area.

Thead hijack alert: When Royal started increasing the speed of its onboard internet and offering packages I was worried I would run into people. Fortunately I only had to jump out of one person's way. But now with Pokemon Go, that could get interesting.

I am getting ready for semester at Texas State University. On campus, it's a sea of zombies staring at there phones 'as is'. Now, with Pokemon-Collision I am sure the Poke-injuries will be many and frequent.

My problem with sound is the recorded music around the pool being so loud that I couldn't listen to my audio book with my earphones. I know that I could just move but sometimes it is just nice to sit in the pool area.

I know this is an expensive solution, but I really recommend noise canceling earbuds.

Are you willing to start an altercation and perhaps get a punch in the nose? Someone who is bold enough and inconsiderate of others to play their music in public is not likely to turn it down or off at your polite request.

Talking to a person directly often has more effect than you might think. And I'm not talking about punches here. I'm sorry, but with that mindset you might as well stay in your cabin, because God forbid you'd run into someone who might punch you in the face.

I work with tourists on a daily basis, and yes, quite a bunch of them are rude and obnoxious, but I have yet to encounter one to punch. And I've had to deliver much harder messages than asking to turn down their music.

Off topic so please forgive me.

My father’s parents immigrated from St. Niklass, Belgium in 1912. I have a rare last name for both in the USA and in Belgium. Due to that I found my second cousin there. Being the wonderful people that they are, we were immediately invited over for a visit. That trip dramatically changed my life as I had never been out of the USA. This change lead to cruising and trying to see as much of the world as possible (31 countries so far). I don’t speak Flemish but I often can figure out what is said.

Again, sorry off topic.

Such a great story, thank you for sharing it :-)

I admire people who have a rich family history as mine is a rather dull one, as for most Belgian families who've been born and raised here for centuries.

I hope you'll come and visit us great little corner of the world again some time soon :-)

• 6 months later...

Exactly.

My experience is that asking a rude person to adjust their inappropriate behavior because it's making your life unpleasant rarely ends well. Chances are they are well aware that their behavior may bother others and they just don't care.

It's better to let ship's security deal with them, because they can compel the person to comply with threat of the brig.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you read the original post? This person is currently on a ship.OP : Sorry that is happening. By all means, report it to security or pick up a house phone and contact guest services.

We notice that the OP is on Carnival. There are reasons that some folks avoid Carnival (we have been on a few Carnival cruises) and the noisy party atmosphere (that Carnival promotes) is part of the reason. Perhaps the security folks will help, but we would not hold our breath. And on Carnival, even if they turn off the personal music you would likely get all kinds of music, announcements, etc. coming over the PA system.

Hank

Why do people think everyone wants to party to their music? I am on a cruise and the only dents in my time are not getting a chair and people blasting their music over the ship music. Why not use headphones? Just because you and your friends want a certain type of music, not everyone does.

I have some Gregorian Chants and some Tibetan prayer chants that I can play. There is also Guy Lombardo.

DON

Worst thing about our last cruise- the onboard music from satellite radio! Have to listen to this all day at work and couldn't get away even on vacation- yuck:mad:

What cruise line / ship was that?

I have some Gregorian Chants and some Tibetan prayer chants that I can play. There is also Guy Lombardo.

DON

I will "see" your Guy Lombardo and "raise" you some Luciano Pavarotti.. an particular favorite on a long drive.

Donna