how far to the boatyard

Karencruiser43

How long of a walk is it to the Boatyard and can anybody give me directions! Thank you!

About 20 minutes walk.

Directions - out of dock gates - the sea on your right - keep walking ahead but keeping the sea on your right and follow the signs.

Is there another beach there. It seemed when we took a tour we saw Boatyard then we stopped at a closer beach near the port it seemed.

Carlisle Bay starts outside the dock gates and goes for miles, passing the Boatyard up to the Yacht Club. One has no idea where you actually stopped, but there is sand on Carlisle Bay before the Boatyard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

• 2 weeks later...

We walked it last September. We got lost making a turn to the left because we thought hugging the shoreline was going to end up getting blocked.

It ended up being about a 40 minute walk for us - but was interesting. We just kept zig-zagging down small streets working our way to the right as much as possible to get back on track. Barbados has a pretty good reputation as far as Caribbean Islands go for safety. We didn't really feel nervous, but then again, we are just ignorant tourists. Probably 10 plus buses passed us letting us know we could board and ride to our destination.

We ended up arriving at the beach just past the boatyard. We rented two chairs and an umbrella for $10 and had a wonderful beach day. We snorkeled out on our own to the sea turtles (we had our own gear), and they came right up to us. We just headed to where the boats were letting off their snorkelers. It was not a long way at all. Plus - in the ocean you can float without effort if you do get tired. (we are both mid fifties and only in average shape - so if it is easy for us - anyone younger will have no problem)

The walk back was much shorter, but I will admit, it was hot and humid, so we were glad it was shorter. Probably 20 minutes and we were onboard the ship.

Would we do it again? Absolutely. Why take a cab when you can walk? We walk on board ship every night, so if we can walk in port, we try to do so. We really did love it.

Don and Allison

• 2 weeks later...

We walked there and had no problems at all. It took us about 20-25 minutes to get there. It's really easy to find a map on Google on how to get there. Basically just keep walking as close to the water as you can until you arrive. Much of the walk is within the terminal area. The return taxi is included with your entry fee to the Boatyard. After a day of swimming and the hot sun, we definitely appreciated the free ride back to the ship. It's $15 pp for cruise ship passengers. You get a beach chair, umbrella, a drink, use of the facilities(restrooms, wifi, showers, etc) and the ride back. The beach and the water are absolutely beautiful :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

2e7472d37458bffa600d8b1131d707db.jpg

"Princess Alice highway" has a pedestrian path along the water. Follow the signs for the terminal exit/taxis. Walk past the taxis and continue along the path. Exit the terminal and make the first possible right. Keep towards the right until to come across a pedestrian bridge. Cross the bridge and you should find Bay St, which is where the Boatyard is. Bay Street has very narrow uneven sidewalks but you aren't on them for long, just use caution/common sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping. Sorry, on my iPad between bouts of cleaning and sometimes it will give me option to subscribe and most times will not. We will be hitting this island in February and just beginning to do research.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...

Walking is not a problem. We just did it last week. It took about 20 minutes and that is not walking as fast as we normally do. Just follow the map above. You will see a signs that show 'beach this way". It is the first time I have walked it and I would do it again. I will not walk back to the ship because it will be too hot. I hate taking a taxi in Barbados from the port because they do not leave right away. They try to fill the van up first.

I hate taking a taxi in Barbados from the port because they do not leave right away. They try to fill the van up first.

Yup! we spent more time sitting and waiting for the van to fill up than we did on the drive to the Boatyard.

• 2 months later...
The return taxi is included with your entry fee to the Boatyard. After a day of swimming and the hot sun, we definitely appreciated the free ride back to the ship. It's $15 pp for cruise ship passengers. You get a beach chair, umbrella, a drink, use of the facilities(restrooms, wifi, showers, etc) and the ride back. The beach and the water are absolutely beautiful :)

I just checked their web site and the cost is $20 now. Do you think it will be a problem doing a walk up or does it get crowded on cruise days?

I just checked their web site and the cost is $20 now. Do you think it will be a problem doing a walk up or does it get crowded on cruise days?

As long as you don't have any mobility issues walking there is very easy. If you look back a few posts I posted a map showing the directions. By walking we got there before those who took a taxi and we had front row beach chairs with an umbrella. It wasn't crowded at all when we were there. It was a great day!

When you are walking out of the cruise terminal shop area just follow the signs for the exit/taxis. Walk past the taxis and continue in the trail by the water. When you exit the terminal, make the first possible right. Basically follow the signs for the beach and you will find the boatyard. It is a very colorful building, hard to miss. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I found another site that says cost is $15. pp for cruise pax. :confused:

When we were there in December it was $15. It was $20 for people who were staying overnight on the island at other resorts.