swimwear for snorkeling - rashguard/cover-up needed?

spudicusrex

I'm leaving for a Caribbean cruise next week. :) We are planning on snorkeling in two of the ports, nothing too rigorous though since this will be my first time. But because it is my first time, I'm wondering whether a standard two piece swimsuit is ok. I've worn my current suit hanging on the beach and splashing around a bit in the pool but by no means is it suitable for beach volleyball or rigorous activities. How active is snorkeling? Should I get a different top? I don't want the ladies popping out. :eek: Can anyone who has gone snorkeling chime in?

I have very little experience with beaches/water sports, so I have no idea what to wear. I also don't want to buy anything new unless I absolutely have to.

When I snorkel I wear a rash shirt on top of my swim suit. But I only bought that recently. Previously I wore a thin t shirt. Not to avoid a wardrobe malfunction, but to act as an extra layer of solar protection.

It is easy to stay in the water for 30 mins watching the fish and in that time you can get quite a lot of uv exposure.

Wear a high uv factor protection, especially on places not normally exposed. I once ended up with a pair of rosy cheeks!![emoji79].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

(how you get a "rash" from swimming, is beyond me!)...

Somehow I'm not surprised.

Of course rash guards came around from surfing, where you do have contact with something that can give rashes. However, swimming in the ocean - being tossed on sand & rocks, can also give you a bit of "road rash" so to speak.

Though sun protection is the main reason I wear more than just a swim suit most of the time I'm out in the sun......

Athleta does not appear to enjoy dressing hips, thighs or boobs. Everything I've tried on from them in the past few years has been tight in one or more of those areas (even when large in other areas). Lands End usually fits me great - and I love the tunic rash guards they've offered. So - try try try until you find a brand that works for your body;)

Athleta does not appear to enjoy dressing hips, thighs or boobs. Everything I've tried on from them in the past few years has been tight in one or more of those areas (even when large in other areas). Lands End usually fits me great - and I love the tunic rash guards they've offered. So - try try try until you find a brand that works for your body;)

I was looking at those tunic rash guards from Land's End. I'm glad to hear you like them!

I wear a long sleeved rash guard, over a one piece. I'm really, really fair skinned and I wear it in lieu of sunscreen but I've found that once it is wet, it has the advantage of keeping me cool on hot Caribbean days! A big plus for someone like me who isn't a big fan of humidity!

Wearing a white T-shirt gives you basically no protection - maybe SPF 5, and a dark t-shirt is maybe around SPF 10. A rashguard, depending on the material it is made from, can be much higher, up to SPF 50. I always have on a rashguard when I'm in the water. Most of mine are from Athleta (for some reason, my big boobs seem to fit), and one surf top (a very thin neoprene for the Pacific Ocean). My favorite one is my turquoise sleeveless short hoodie - I use it a lot as my "tankini" top even on the beach or at the pool. I've even used some of my rashguards when I go out on the trails - they are pretty breathable.

Rashguards were a good thing to wear if surfing back in the day. You've got wax on the board and the sand and salt sticks to it and would rub you when you'd be laying on the board to paddle out. Lots of rashes from that. The rashguard gave another layer in between you and the board. When it was cool, it was moot because you could be wearing a wetsuit (anything from a "Farmer John" to a full bodysuit). The SPF factor came later.

I get mine from http://www.uvskinz.com.

I like this style since the neck is a little higher.

http://www.uvskinz.com/Aloha-Short-Sleeve-Women-p/040308.htm?1=1&CartID=0

They have a lot of different colors, styles and sizes for the whole family. They also feel really nice against the skin and smooth.

Edited by ReneeFLL