Leg Make-up?

Has anyone heard of leg make-up and used it? I bruise easily since I had my daughter, some spider and bulging veins I want to cover up for our next cruise in November. I saw on Hollar that they are selling the Sally Hansen brand of leg make-up. Want to know if it's worth a try. Thanks!

I believe there was an old thread here that said don't bother with the leg makeup because it came off everywhere. It was a mess. That was long ago, so there may be better things on the market now. You might research scar cover makeup, but that also might smear and rub off.

How about spray tanning? That might help, but then you might end up with orange legs -- I know I did.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Try Hoola (Ulta). Works well & doesn't come off on clothes, easy applicator

Thanks! Ulta just came to Alaska so I will look for it there. I was also considering spray tan for my legs too since color helps make the bruises and veins less noticeable.

For those who offered advice to just forget about it, this is one of those things that unfortunately makes me very self-conscious and I will see some of my fellow cruisers again. I'm on a family reunion cruise with 30+ people [emoji6]

I believe there was an old thread here that said don't bother with the leg makeup because it came off everywhere. It was a mess. That was long ago, so there may be better things on the market now. You might research scar cover makeup, but that also might smear and rub off.

How about spray tanning? That might help, but then you might end up with orange legs -- I know I did.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you Margee, a spray tan may be a great alternative but I'd definitely want to get it done professionally. Drugstore self tanner can be a be scary [emoji12]

Check out Dermablend. It was made to cover scars and I believe some versions are water resistant. I think Ulta has it. Department store make up counters may have it too.

Check out Dermablend. It was made to cover scars and I believe some versions are water resistant. I think Ulta has it. Department store make up counters may have it too.

Ulta does indeed have Dermablend. You can ask one of the people that works there to do a color match on your legs. And ask best ways to make it stay put. I used it on my arm one time to hide a rash, and it stayed pretty well with some setting powder, but I'm not sure if legs will be more likely to wear off. It was also pretty quick to apply, so it's not like it's a large waste of time :)

You can also wear stockings in the evenings. You would probably be good with semi-sheer (just assuming, based on my own experience with myself), and not have to go full on opaque.

I have the same problem and I find that fake tan doesn't do much.

I use Sally Hansen leg make-up and it doesn't come off until you wash it off with soap and water. I'm sure if you spent long enough in the pool it would come off though - and I wouldn't be getting in the hot spa, the chemicals in that will strip anything off!

The Sally Hansen stuff doesn't just add colour, it covers as well. Just don't succumb to the temptation to get a deeper tan shade if you're pale - it just looks odd. I use the palest shade, I was worried it would make me look pasty but it looks very natural and better than my real colour.

Edited by Marisawrite

Jergen's smells awful...and the odor lingers long after it's dry! Try Suave Visible Glow...no lingering odor...it doesn't streak, and it works pretty well, for a fake tan!

Be aware, you do have to keep applying it, if you want it to last and look nice for an entire week...once isn't enough. And for ALL self-tanners, you must moisturize your "crinkly" areas, like knees, ankles, elbows, etc....or you will look dirty...those little folds collect the color! Use moisturizer first, and it sort of takes the place of some of the colorant.

cj, thanks for posting this; I have the same situation. I too get orange tones from self tanners, and then it comes off on the nice white ship towels.

I'm finding that I wear shorts less and less, and loose linen pants, gauzy palazzo pants, and maxi dresses more and more. They are cool, and can look quite nice.

I always wear a skirt in the evening. I've started wearing skintone fishnet tights instead of pantyhose. Quite comfortable, and although they don't obliterate every little vein, they give a nice even matte look.

I use Sally Hanson on my legs every so often and like the results. It is nice to use this product during the winter months, if I am not wearing pantyhose, and just want a bit of color and glow. Luckily, it has not worn off in humidity!

I also use it on my decolletage to tone down redness and even out tan lines, especially if I am wearing a lower cut top or strapless dress.

Thanks for the other recommendations ... I will check out Hoola and Dermablend at Ulta.

I am not good with self tanners ... Jergen's Natural Glow turned my skin orange and it smells odd.

Edited by brunello22

I use Dermablend, my legs are just too uneven for me to be comfortable. For me it works best when I mix it with baby lotion, and then let it sit for about 5 minutes before I get dressed.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard of leg make-up and used it? I bruise easily since I had my daughter, some spider and bulging veins I want to cover up for our next cruise in November. I saw on Hollar that they are selling the Sally Hansen brand of leg make-up. Want to know if it's worth a try. Thanks!

I don't like wearing face make-up, but I even out my skin tone by covering the darker areas with L'Oreal True Match liquid make-up. I get a color that is one shade lighter than my normal skin tone. Dab it over the darker area with a small amount, and then blend outward. Very little goes a long way, and if I have an especially dark spot, I will apply a second coat.

I use it anywhere on my body that I have a spot, bruise, or broken vein. I have one dime-size spot of broken veins just above my left ankle. It's from a mosquito bite I got last year. I have SEVERE reactions to mosquitoes, and the capillaries broke all around this one.

I woke up 5 days ago with a very, VERY dark purple area from the inner edge of my lower right eye, and down along my nose about an inch. Ugly as sin, and I remember falling asleep on my side with my glasses on. It must have created a bruise there. Super obvious. My True Match applied with a Q-tip works great, and makes it invisible. It's finally clearing up.

Edited by pcur

Thanks! Ulta just came to Alaska so I will look for it there. I was also considering spray tan for my legs too since color helps make the bruises and veins less noticeable.

For those who offered advice to just forget about it, this is one of those things that unfortunately makes me very self-conscious and I will see some of my fellow cruisers again. I'm on a family reunion cruise with 30+ people [emoji6]

I feel your pain. I too am self-conscious about the spider veins on my legs. I'll definitely need a product that is waterproof as I'll be hanging by the pool and going to the beach a lot next Feb. when I'll be in Cancun for my niece's wedding. I'm going to visit our new Sephora store and see what ideas the staff there has for me. I'm also going to see if there is an Ultra store near me and check them out too. I'll share my results when I get the info together and use the product.

Edited by mousey

I feel your pain. I too am self-conscious about the spider veins on my legs. I'll definitely need a product that is waterproof as I'll be hanging by the pool and going to the beach a lot next Feb. when I'll be in Cancun for my niece's wedding. I'm going to visit our new Sephora store and see what ideas the staff there has for me. I'm also going to see if there is an Ultra store near me and check them out too. I'll share my results when I get the info together and use the product.

Awesome! Thanks! [emoji4][emoji106]

I have the same spider veins. I used to get a spray tan before the cruise and then I would bring Tan Towels with me once it began to fade and get blotchy. the key to Tan Towel is to use in a circular motion. I would apply before bed and wake up with a natural color. It does not transfer to bedding with and no self tanner smell. If you want darker repeat the following night.

Tan Towels are individually wrapped so easy to carry.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod510320

this spring I discovered a product from Clarins that you mix with your regular moisturizer and I am very happy with it as well. You put a few drops of this oil with your regular moisturizer - really works, pricey but you only use 4-5 drops at a time and it will last me more than just the summer !

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod13851007