Scooters around the island

JamesGNYC

Just don't.

The traffic is getting worse every year, people are getting less considerate, it's nowhere near as safe as it was in days gone by.

Get a transportation pass and go by bus and ferry - the ferry rides are delightful and you won't die.

Last year as we were getting off the St George ferry we talked to a couple who crashed less than an hour after renting the scooter. We also met a young lady who had a broken arm and leg from a crash the previous day...

Unless you are a skilled motorcycle driver and are comfortable driving on the opposite side of the road, probably best to avoid the scooters.

Has anyone rented scooters to tour the island from the dockyard? Is it easy to navigate the island on scooters if it's your first time on the island or do you need some sort of gps map? Thank you!!

Don't do it! The transportation system in Bermuda is very good. We have always enjoyed a chance to talk to the natives on our rides. Just a couple of hints, always say good morning or good afternoon to the driver, helps if you would like them to tell you where a stop is. Another thing is just be sure people have a chance to get off the bus before you try and get on. I know pretty basic but you can't believe how many people forget to do that

Again, avoid the scooters at all cost. You may be a trained driver but he roads in Bermuda are very narrow and do not have any shoulders. Many places, there is no way to avoid an accident by getting off onto the shoulder because there are cliffs and valleys all along the roads. The scooters are very slow and drivers get impatient with them. I vote for the public transportation so that you will be able to enjoy your entire vacation.

Can't we just pull over towards the left of someone wants to pass? We want to go to Tom moore's jungle, and different places far from kings wharf. Is it going to take all day to get to those locations if we take the bus

Can't we just pull over towards the left of someone wants to pass? We want to go to Tom moore's jungle, and different places far from kings wharf. Is it going to take all day to get to those locations if we take the bus

Many of the roads on the island do not have room to pull over to the left. The roads are carved out between rocks and there are rock walls on both sides of the road, barely room for two small cars to pass. There are no rental cars on Bermuda. Between the busses and the locals cars, the roads are very busy and very crowded. Again, take everyone's advice and avoid the scooters. You can get a taxi at the pier and they will take you to Tom Moore's Jungle. It would probably be less expensive than the rental for the scooter. Were you planning on renting one or two scooters. Two people on the scooters even makes them go slower.

Thanks for the tips, I did own and operate a 30 cc motorized scooter about 5 years ago, so I do feel relatively comfortable. Also not in a rush so going to drive slow and stay focused

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1883095&highlight=big+mike+scooter

This is a "must-read" for anyone thinking of renting a scooter on Bermuda. I don't ride, but this guy (Big Mike) clearly does -- and, he has some great advice! :cool:

Also not in a rush so going to drive slow and stay focused

Going slowly actually may put you in even greater danger. I don't think we saw anyone (car or bus) who wasn't speeding, and tailgating tourists on very underpowered scooters seemed very common.

Edited by Langoustine

I rented a scooter for 3 days last May from elbow beach cycles. I don't regret it one bit. This place made it sound worse than it is. If you are a good driver, and want complete freedom to explore the entire island, scooters are for you.

I rented a scooter for 3 days last May from elbow beach cycles. I don't regret it one bit. This place made it sound worse than it is. If you are a good driver, and want complete freedom to explore the entire island, scooters are for you.

I agree. I personally do not rent the scooters because I am not experienced...however OP sounds like he is experienced.

OP here are a few links to reviews from poster Radio on the RCL board. He's been to Bermuda several times and rented scooters. He gives info on how to get to certain spots via scooters.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1937137

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196844

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1822384

The scooters are awesome. We rented them in both 2006 and 2013 and plan on it again this August. Never had a problem. In 2013, our 6 year old rode on the back with my husband. Personally, I wouldn't do it any other way. In 2013, we rented from Oleander. The roads are very easy to navigate and the rental company gives a paper map.

First time in Bermuda in 1965 at the age of 15 I loved touring the island on a rented moped. On our Bermuda Honeymoon in 1979 we also rented scooters and loved it. Next time in Bermuda in 1985 we rented again and one of our group had an accident and it was obviously busier. In September, 2015 we're heading back on the Liberty of the Sea and this time we won't be renting scooters. 30 years advances in the island and declines in my body make the bus and ferry the wise way to go IMHO.

Has anyone rented scooters to tour the island from the dockyard? Is it easy to navigate the island on scooters if it's your first time on the island or do you need some sort of gps map? Thank you!!

Remember , One mistake, ONE ,and Vacation is OVER . :eek:

Remember , One mistake, ONE ,and Vacation is OVER . :eek:

You're right but I've given up trying to dissuade people. If they want to take the chance that nothing happens, the onus and consequences are on them. It's rather curious, don't you think, that most all the Bermuda residents who post here advise against it.

Lately, Jolly Jones is the only one who has been posting and was the first to say don't do it. If I remember correctly, she is a doctor and has seen her share of injuries, and probably more.

They drive on the left in Bermuda and they have a bunch of traffic circles that you have to remember to keep left. One mistake and it's over. It has nothing about being a "good driver"

One year when we were on a cruise to Bermuda a husband and wife were out on a scooter. They were pulling out of a parking lot of a small market, he looked left and took a right out of lot right into a dump truck. His wife was killed. Bus or ferry are the way to go. Great chance to talk with the people of Bermuda.

man you folks sure know how to deter someone! We're going to take the ferry to hamilton then go over to tom moore's jungle then back around the island to the dockyard. I really don't want to waste all day sitting on a bus and want the freedom to explore the beautiful island at will. thank you all though!! And i'm assuming the scooter rental company gives you a paper map? Can you use the gps on your phone to find your way around (obviously we'd pull over when there is a shoulder/side street to use the phone)

Yes the locals drive recklessly, yes the buses will pull in front of you, yes there is traffic, yes you can fall and get hurt in a foreign country.. Is it worth it to me? Yes in a heartbeat. We've taken three groups with us as well and never had an issue. It's not for everyone, but we love it.

Is it as bad as driving in major U.S. or Asian city? Not even close, but it does require skill and attention. If you have good skills and are aware of the risks I would not push you away from taking a scooter.

Yes the locals drive recklessly, yes the buses will pull in front of you, yes there is traffic, yes you can fall and get hurt in a foreign country.. Is it worth it to me? Yes in a heartbeat. We've taken three groups with us as well and never had an issue. It's not for everyone, but we love it.

Is it as bad as driving in major U.S. or Asian city? Not even close, but it does require skill and attention. If you have good skills and are aware of the risks I would not push you away from taking a scooter.

Thank you! Yes I am confident we will be fine. I operated a motorized scooter around traffic-infested Long Island, NY for three years, and used to deliver in college out of a van in manhattan, NY, so I'm not super worried about it. I've learned how to keep my head on a swivel and look before you make ANY change while driving, as well as be incredibly focused and aware of your surroundings, no matter what distractions are around you. thanks all for the feedback!