Needing help with etiquette issues in Europe.

TinkBellaMom

We are traveling to Venice--precruise--for a few days then on to Croatia, Turkey and Greece. I have read different views on tipping in these countries. We want to do the right thing while visiting---we don't want to be a disrespectful tourist.

Is tipping appropriate for water taxis, gondola rides, bell hops, in restaurants, etc.

Also, we are taking a private day tour in Santorini, do we tip the guide, is it appropriate to ask for a recommendation for lunch and then invite him to join us (at our expense)?

Tipping in 'Europe' is not as common as it is in the US, we give a tip when someone has delivered an extraordinary experience. Usually, i round the amount up. So 58 euro will be 60.

When they gave me a really good experience, i will give more.

For a water taxi, just round up.

Bellhops, a small amount

Gondola rides, depending on the experience

I would tip the guide in Santorini if you had a good time and he was a good guide. If he is not, don't tip.

You can ask him for recommendations and you can invite him to join, but he will probably not.

Have fun!!

There are lots of threads about tipping and people will have many different opinions. However, personally I'd tip restaurants and taxis but not water taxis which I think are a bit more like buses on the water (I'm sure someone will correct me if I wrong). I might tip a gondolier or tour guide if I thought they were particularly good. More and more people in the service industry expect/are open to tips so I doubt you'll offend anyone by offering a tip.

With regards to inviting the guide to lunch, I think it would depend on the sort of relationship you establish while on your tour. If the person is a professional guide the chances are they will already have plans and need to get to another tour or have other commitment. Don't forget you are on vacation but they are in work [emoji4]. If it were me I'd see what happens on the day but I wouldn't plan on it. By all means ask for a recommendation for food, I'm sure they'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Thank You All! I am not sure why my question was moved? Did I do something? I am afraid I can't even find the board it is now on.

But thank you for the answers to my questions!!!

Yikes!!!

Would someone kindly let me know what I did to get this moved. We are on a RCL cruise so I asked on that board. Whatever I did, I'm afraid I will repeat if the Mod just moves with no explanation. :confused:

Edited by TinkBellaMom

Thank You All! I am not sure why my question was moved? Did I do something? I am afraid I can't even find the board it is now on.

But thank you for the answers to my questions!!!

Yikes!!!

Would someone kindly let me know what I did to get this moved. We are on a RCL cruise so I asked on that board. Whatever I did, I'm afraid I will repeat if the Mod just moves with no explanation. :confused:

Your thread was moved because the question of tipping in those areas has absolutely nothing to do with RCI. It has to do with customs and behaviors in those countries. Had you asked just about Italy alone, or Croatia alone, your question might have been moved to the boards for those countries.

By the way, tipping in those countries is discussed regularly on the boards for Italy, France, Spain, etc.

Edited by CruiserBruce

One should do some research on the tipping traditions in each country since it does vary. But perhaps we Americans should be cognizant that many Europeans resent Americans coming to their country and handing out money (tips) like candy. This is simply not a European tradition. One also has to be careful in restaurants, because there are many (particularly higher end establishments) that add a "service charge." Tipping on top of this is ridiculous other then perhaps rounding up. In Venice we would not tip a water taxi unless the driver did something extraordinary such as carrying luggage some distance. When using vaporettos do not tip anyone! And with restaurants make sure you do not get carried away as many already have various extra fees (they should be disclosed on the menu and are usually somewhere on the bottom in very fine print). We have seen Venice cafes charge a "coperto" (cover charge), an entertainment charge (common with a couple of rip-off cafes in St Marks Square) and also a "Servizio" or service charge. Personally we would not even sit down in one of these true tourist trap (you can pay over 10 Euros for a single cup of coffee) and definitely would not leave any additional tip (these scum should tip their customers).

Hank

Hank

We got married in Santorini, and had a private guide after the ceremony. She took us to a fantastic restaurant named Gallini, near the airport. We invited her to lunch with us. She sat at another table so we could have some privacy.

I have attached a picture of the tables on the beach. There is also indoor seating.

I would recommend a book by Roger Axtell called "Gestures", It has a country by country breakdown of various gestures and other etiquette.

808817920_Picture127.jpg.483d8be0bfcacacf4ea17cf4cb801787.jpg

Edited by Talisker92
Added book reference

Tipping in Europe isn't the big deal that it is in the US, because wages in service industries are higher - a living wage, so tips are the recipient's jam, not their bread & butter.

Folk tip according to satisfaction and value that they've received, and according their own personal philosophy on tipping. Those who are good at their job and are friendly & willing do a lot better than those who don't give a damn - and ain't that the way it should be ;)

Ten per-cent is considered a good tip & warranted by going the extra mile, but if you leave nothing nobody's going to chase you down the road.

Note Hank's point about add-ons. Cover charges, charges for un-requested bread, service charges, higher prices for an outside table, etc are quite common in tourist areas but in most European countries are rarely seen elsewhere. If there's any sort of unwarranted add-on, I don't leave a tip.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

One should do some research on the tipping traditions in each country since it does vary. But perhaps we Americans should be cognizant that many Europeans resent Americans coming to their country and handing out money (tips) like candy. This is simply not a European tradition. One also has to be careful in restaurants, because there are many (particularly higher end establishments) that add a "service charge." Tipping on top of this is ridiculous other then perhaps rounding up. In Venice we would not tip a water taxi unless the driver did something extraordinary such as carrying luggage some distance. When using vaporettos do not tip anyone! And with restaurants make sure you do not get carried away as many already have various extra fees (they should be disclosed on the menu and are usually somewhere on the bottom in very fine print). We have seen Venice cafes charge a "coperto" (cover charge), an entertainment charge (common with a couple of rip-off cafes in St Marks Square) and also a "Servizio" or service charge. Personally we would not even sit down in one of these true tourist trap (you can pay over 10 Euros for a single cup of coffee) and definitely would not leave any additional tip (these scum should tip their customers).

Hank

Hank

This hasn't been my experience (although I have been to every European country). I have found that many Europeans are very aware that Americans tip well and therefore are happy to accept, possibly even expect, it. We were recent on short guided tour in Edinburgh where the guides were almost begging for tips at the end. It was actually a little unpleasant. I put this down to the large number of Americans on the tour who did oblige and tipped willingly. Mostly the British/European people just said thanks.

Whenever we received good service in Europe, we always tipped. We tipped at something of a lower % than we do at home in U.S. but we always, at the least, rounded up a restaurant/bar tab and same for taxi fare etc We always tipped the fellow who carried our usually overstuffed luggage. :) We are American and easily recognized as such and know Europeans are very accustomed to the U.S. way of tipping. We never had anyone refuse the tip or act as though it offended them. ;)

This hasn't been my experience (although I have been to every European country). I have found that many Europeans are very aware that Americans tip well and therefore are happy to accept, possibly even expect, it. We were recent on short guided tour in Edinburgh where the guides were almost begging for tips at the end. It was actually a little unpleasant. I put this down to the large number of Americans on the tour who did oblige and tipped willingly. Mostly the British/European people just said thanks.

Yes, that's an unfortunate "side effect" of some Americans refusing to leave their tipping culture at home.

"What harm can it do" most will say if challenged. The harm is that we are changing the culture. :cool:

We Americans get very bent out of shape if others refuse to follow our particular tipping customs, yet it seems many do not make the effort to follow the customs of others.

How does one go to a Michelin ranked restaurant and not tip?

Sometimes gratuity is included but not always.

Americans have been 'going abroad' for many generations...... European culture has survived in stunningly desirable status. If not, so many of us would not flock there. :)

Edited by sail7seas

How does one go to a Michelin ranked restaurant and not tip?

Sometimes gratuity is included but not always.

Americans have been 'going abroad' for many generations...... European culture has survived in stunningly desirable status. If not, so many of us would not flock there. :)

I don't think anyone is saying "never tip" just the emphasis is different in Europe to the U.S. I normally tip in a restaurant wherever I am if the service is acceptable/good. When in the U.S. I would probably tip at times when I wouldn't as home, as is the custom.

If I was in a Michelin starred restaurant and the service was bad I wouldn't tip (unlikely but not impossible).

I do think there is a slight change in culture around tipping in Europe. People are, in general, more well travelled and know more about the world from TV/media etc so naturally customs and practices start to spread. I know that since holidaying regularly in the U.S. I tip better at home.

In the end, the more different we are the more we are the same.

Most of us appreciate a pleasant dining experience, know how hard many service people work and aside from being pleasant and not making their job harder than it has to be, we want to say thank you when a service person has done their best to give us a lovely experience.

Note Hank's point about add-ons. Cover charges, charges for un-requested bread, service charges, higher prices for an outside table, etc are quite common in tourist areas but in most European countries are rarely seen elsewhere. If there's any sort of unwarranted add-on, I don't leave a tip.

In my experience, "pane e coperto" charges aren't unusual in Italy, whether in a tourist area or not.

Edited by Underwatr

We tip. Always have done. For many, many years I worked in the service industry and a tip was always welcome after eight hours on my feet dealing with sometimes difficult people. Unsocial hours too. Didn't get more pay for working late.

I have read on here about Americans bragging that they can get anything by waving a dollar bill about. Not with me you wouldn't. How often have I seen "we take a pile of dollar bills to tip with us" on this board.

Talk about tight. Same here in France. Always leave something.

In Florian's you go for the experience. Tell everyone back home. If you are stood up at the bar it is X. Sat down it is X+. Outside listening to the music it is X++. We know that. BUT it is free for the people dancing in the square.

You can get about in Venice cheaply. Well, expensively cheaply! Go to Padua. Spritz are half the price:D

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet..

Europeans do not really tip for drinks...the only exception I have seen is a high end cocktail bar with private servers.

10% or so seems to be a general average if Europeans are going to tip although this varies by some feeling they should round up, some tipping up to 15% for exceptional service and some leaving none/less for bad service.

Edited by Velvetwater

Your thread was moved because the question of tipping in those areas has absolutely nothing to do with RCI. It has to do with customs and behaviors in those countries. Had you asked just about Italy alone, or Croatia alone, your question might have been moved to the boards for those countries.

By the way, tipping in those countries is discussed regularly on the boards for Italy, France, Spain, etc.

Ok then, I guess my hand just got slapped. I assure you I won't make the same mistake again. Perhaps it would be helpful if when a thread is moved an explanation be given so the person doesn't repeat the offense.

We got married in Santorini, and had a private guide after the ceremony. She took us to a fantastic restaurant named Gallini, near the airport. We invited her to lunch with us. She sat at another table so we could have some privacy.

I have attached a picture of the tables on the beach. There is also indoor seating.

I would recommend a book by Roger Axtell called "Gestures", It has a country by country breakdown of various gestures and other etiquette.

Thank you for the advice--it looks amazing! I am keeping a journal of places and activities we would like to do while in Santorini. I have added Gallini to the list.

What a beautiful place for a wedding! We are so excited to see Santorini.

As a Brit who has travelled extensively in Europe, I think the following basic approach would work in most European countries:

For when you are being waited on, for food or drinks, generally tip at about 10% for acceptable or better service, but a bit more if you were very pleased. Less or nothing if service was less than acceptable, but be aware some poor service such as slow arrival of food may be out of the waiter's control and they may still be working hard to make the best of poor kitchen service.

If a service charge has already been added, often 10 or 12.5%, then only add extra if exceptional.

If getting a drink at a bar, just round up a euro or so.

Personal services such as taxis, hotel porters, tour guides anything from 2-20 euros depending on the nature of the service and the quality of the establishment.

Most European service workers rely on some tips and can be taxed on the expectation they will receive some, but not to the same level as North America.