Mariner LA to Papeete

Mjflowers

Arrived LA on the 19th, 11:40 am after an uneventful flight from Tucson;)

After baggage pickup and car to Pier, about 45 minutes total we were on the Mariner within 10 minutes. Nobody there yet. This is the quickest we have ever boarded. Nice lunch and suite ready by 2:15.

It has been a few years since our last trip on the Mariner.

Public areas, PH suites and above were refurbished in April. All looks a lot better. Brighter interiors with up to date colors. Art work, if you like a more abstract approach, which I do, is also better than before.

Have not noticed any cutbacks in service, food, or management. True it has only been a couple of days. All should hod thru the remainder of the cruise. Weather, wonderful. Seas, by my experiences, calm.

Staff is helping in all areas especially dinning rooms. Smiles all around, wine glasses filled, water glasses filled, food hot when supposed to be, cold when not.

One minor complaint. What is with the small in room safe? Can hardly fit tablet and DW's family jewels in:eek: You would think that larger ones would have replaced these last April.

A few more sea days then Hawaii. Signatures tonight.

Something major must have happened during the transition in Los Angeles because the experience on this segment is night and day different from the MIA-Los Angeles segment.

My belief is that the staff was just worn out because there seems to be a major change in staff, esp in the dining venues. Interestingly, three of the servers who we have spoken to are brand new to cruising - this is there first job and for all three, their first time on a water vessel.

Also new - the "men in suits", there has been some change.

Another nice touch, lots of fresh flowers, which was sorely missed on the last segment. However, I still miss the lovely large flower arrangement that use to be in the atrium - now, that is one of the small extra touches that differentiates upscale from luxury.

Hopefully the worst is now behind us. At breakfast on disembarkation day, people were playing a game, "Can you top this" - with their stories of poor service.

gnomie :)

Gnomie1, are you thinking that the "black suits" are new? The clothing is fairly new, thinking this year, but the positions are not. They are the same as head waiters in CR.

In terms of flowers, there were discussions on CC regarding allergies to flowers in public areas. This could be why there are less of them.

Good to read that the Mariner is back to the level of service that it was when we were on board d in October.

Gnomie1, are you thinking that the "black suits" are new? The clothing is fairly new, thinking this year, but the positions are not. They are the same as head waiters in CR.

In terms of flowers, there were discussions on CC regarding allergies to flowers in public areas. This could be why there are less of them.

Good to read that the Mariner is back to the level of service that it was when we were on board d in October.

If allergies are the issue they should also ban perfume.

Thank you for the posts. I'll be reading them. We'll board in Papeete when you arrive from LA. I'm glad to hear everything is well. It was disconcerting some of the things some people were posting. We love the Mariner (all Regent ships) and have never had a bad cruise. Enjoy!!

It just hit me-we have to get off the ship in two weeks!

Enjoying the sea days last two days lots of pool time. A lot of people walking the track. I understand there is only somewhere between five and six hundred aboard.

Our block party on 10 was woeful, only three of us at our end. But deck nine gathered at the elevator and they were partying!!!

Lots of smiles from staff, food has been very good. Requests have been responded to. We can find the wine we like everywhere even when I called room service. After one night in Compass Rose the wine steward immediately brought it over.

Thank you for the posts. I'll be reading them. We'll board in Papeete when you arrive from LA. I'm glad to hear everything is well. It was disconcerting some of the things some people were posting. We love the Mariner (all Regent ships) and have never had a bad cruise. Enjoy!!

Set your mind at ease. There will always be dissatisfied cruisers, no mater what.

Some people are never happy and it refelcts on their experiences. If you look for problems, it will find you. We do not and we will Enjoy!

It just hit me-we have to get off the ship in two weeks!

Enjoying the sea days last two days lots of pool time. A lot of people walking the track. I understand there is only somewhere between five and six hundred aboard.

Our block party on 10 was woeful, only three of us at our end. But deck nine gathered at the elevator and they were partying!!!

Lots of smiles from staff, food has been very good. Requests have been responded to. We can find the wine we like everywhere even when I called room service. After one night in Compass Rose the wine steward immediately brought it over.

Sorry purpleally, we are on deck 10 also. Our bad:(

Can't agree with you more on your other comments. All is good, we're at sea.

Something major must have happened during the transition in Los Angeles because the experience on this segment is night and day different from the MIA-Los Angeles segment.

My belief is that the staff was just worn out because there seems to be a major change in staff, esp in the dining venues. Interestingly, three of the servers who we have spoken to are brand new to cruising - this is there first job and for all three, their first time on a water vessel.

Also new - the "men in suits", there has been some change.

Another nice touch, lots of fresh flowers, which was sorely missed on the last segment. However, I still miss the lovely large flower arrangement that use to be in the atrium - now, that is one of the small extra touches that differentiates upscale from luxury.

Hopefully the worst is now behind us. At breakfast on disembarkation day, people were playing a game, "Can you top this" - with their stories of poor service.

Nothing major. See post to forevertravel.

Sorry purpleally, we are on deck 10 also. Our bad:(

Can't agree with you more on your other comments. All is good, we're at sea.

No worries. Sorry I missed you. It's all good

Service in CR has been exemplary. So much fun sitting in Dennis' area each night and he has been spot on with his recommendations.

Some clouds today but also sunshine. The pool deck has been very active.

Lunch on the pool deck is ribs and we have reservations at Signatures tonight.

Our lovely stewardesses decorated our suite with balloons for my DH birthday.

No worries. Sorry I missed you. It's all good

Service in CR has been exemplary. So much fun sitting in Dennis' area each night and he has been spot on with his recommendations.

Some clouds today but also sunshine. The pool deck has been very active.

Lunch on the pool deck is ribs and we have reservations at Signatures tonight.

Our lovely stewardesses decorated our suite with balloons for my DH birthday.

Please give Dennis regards to Jackie and "Sir" Dennis (this is what he calls him since their names are the same:-) IMO it makes such a difference when dining in CR if you get to know your server.

Continue to enjoy your cruise.

We had a great helicopter tour on Kuaui. A military helicopter with the doors removed, so that everyone was securely strapped in but looking out with an unobstructed view. It was pretty adventurous, even for me, but great fun. Hope yours is as good.

mjflowers, Have you seen much sea life on the crossing so far?

I hope you continue to enjoy a wonderful time onboard. When you have a chance, please tell us about your helicopter excursion and lunch. Thanks!

Having crossed the ocean for five days you might think that we would see something. Well, sadly not yet. Cruising around the islands for the next four days may bring results. Locals tell us it may be a little early for whale watching. We keep our fingers crossed.

Helicopter tour was fantastic. A six hour total tour, almost an hour of flight time over Kuai. I'm not making this up. Our pilots name was Bogart. Can you dig it. He was something special. I have not experienced this type of flying before and we have been on a few. Tour guide, Domie was most informative on the history and culture of the island. Our excursion was a premium add on. Not included. Eight of us were picked up in a Mercedes van, plush I might add. Two helicopters for the group. Lunch was kinda of the low point. Turkey sandwich, chips, and soda. Redeeming point was we ate at the beach. Surf up.

Having crossed the ocean for five days you might think that we would see something. Well, sadly not yet. Cruising around the islands for the next four days may bring results. Locals tell us it may be a little early for whale watching. We keep our fingers crossed.

Helicopter tour was fantastic. A six hour total tour, almost an hour of flight time over Kuai. I'm not making this up. Our pilots name was Bogart. Can you dig it. He was something special. I have not experienced this type of flying before and we have been on a few. Tour guide, Domie was most informative on the history and culture of the island. Our excursion was a premium add on. Not included. Eight of us were picked up in a Mercedes van, plush I might add. Two helicopters for the group. Lunch was kinda of the low point. Turkey sandwich, chips, and soda. Redeeming point was we ate at the beach. Surf up.

That, to me, is what a tour ought to be. Hi speed and low drag. I've spent a lot of time on helos with no doors or seats and flown by foreign military back when I was young and handsome. Always a thrill. Shame on lunch; I don't do turkey which means that I get ham on Thanksgiving day. Thanks for posting your adventures and looking forward to reading more of them.

Z and TB

After five sea days, it is nice to be able to get off the ship. Some of the sea days were rockier than others, with periods of "liquid sunshine" as the captain likes to say. The day before yesterday the water was quite rough and it appears than many people were laying low because every time I left my cabin, the ship appeared to be a very quiet.

Yesterday we had a lovely trip to amazing gardens and our guide was fantastic. Of interest, we also had lunch included which was a turkey sandwich.

Today was a trip to Pearl Harbor which was so incredibly moving, esp meeting and talking to a veteran who was there that day. Unfortunately, we were only there for just under three hours so I really need to come back and visit the entire memorial site. Again, we had a fantastic tour guide.

The weather has been lovely - I could live here, esp during the winter months. I understand there is a horrible storm on the east coast which is affecting thousands upon thousands of people, including my family. Right now five family members are sitting at airports hoping for flights - looks like Thanksgiving for my family may not be celebrated until Friday at the earliest!

Speaking of Thanksgiving - wishing all a very happy Thanksgiving and hoping that your family and friends arrive safely to wherever you are celebrating.

That, to me, is what a tour ought to be. Hi speed and low drag. I've spent a lot of time on helos with no doors or seats and flown by foreign military back when I was young and handsome. Always a thrill. Shame on lunch; I don't do turkey which means that I get ham on Thanksgiving day. Thanks for posting your adventures and looking forward to reading more of them.

Z and TB

Thanks Z. In Oahu, submarine ride. Went down to 110 feet. Deepest for me below the ocean. This was an included trip with Regent. I thought it was excellent. We did share with other groups of people but this was not an issue for me. In Hilo we again optioned for the Regent extra excursion. All day trip to the observatories. 13000 plus feet above sea level. Air was thin and I felt it. You have to see these scientific wonders. The scale of the telescopes are amazing.

Weather in Hlio proper was clouded and some rain. At our elevation the sun was shining with crystal clear air. The landscape reminded me of Mars.

Four more sea days to next dry land. All has been up to Regent expectations, service, dinning, lectures, even WiFi has been up to par. One complaint, but I will have to deal with it. No Football:eek:

Have met some wonderful people on this cruise from around the world. Australia, England, Japan, and even some nice people from the States.

On right now, all tours have been great! Loved the film location tour in Kawai, Farm Tour in Oahu, submarine in Maui and the best so far, the tour up to the Keck telescopes plus. (Not for those who might suffer altitude sickness) All of our tour guides have been terrific. Food has been good, complementary wines, not so much and there has been some comments about this matter from many folks. Singers and dancers have been sidelined during a few rough seas. Perhaps they are new but this group doesn't seem as polished as past groups but with only two shows so far, it's hard to tell.