Lurker taking the plunge!

NightStarBlue

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker but there is so much good advice here. I'm researchng my first cruise. Unlike any other form of travel, you can't check out the next day if you don't like it! (I can swim but not that fast!)Thanks to the comments here, I applied for a US Passport. Once it arrives I can go anywhere in the world with no worries about whether or not it is the right documentation.

Now the entire world is your world to explore. Welcome to cruise critic. I suggest starting with a 5 day cruise. Three and four are too short to really go and see anything, and a seven day may be too long until you know whether or not you like it. Cruise Happy!:)

I'd suggest a weeklong cruise....even a 5 nighter isn't enough. If you really, really hate it, which is very unlikely, you can fly home from a port....no swimming needed!

Honestly, even if you don't become addicted, a week on a ship is really no different than a week in a resort hotel (except for room size!). Go! Enjoy!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Great that you have applied for your passport.

Since you live in NY -- why not try one of the cruises that sail from that area?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I agree it would be best to start with a cruise that is not too long for a "first time". Right now I am looking at the ships that sail out of New York. The idea of not having to get on an airplane appeals to me. (I'm not afraid to fly it's the TSA hassle that I hate.)

NightStarBlue -- Welcome, and congrats on taking the initiative to go ahead and get a passport. They aren't absolutely necessary for a lot of cruises, but definitely nice to have! :cool:

Once you decide on a cruise, there is a very helpful feature on these boards that you could not previously access (as a "lurker)" -- the Roll-Call boards. You just click on your cruise line, then locate your ship and sailing date. There you'll meet some of the folks you'll be cruising with -- many of them will be familiar with the cruise line, the ship, and even the itinerary you'll be sailing. Happy Cruising! :D

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I'm considering a 6-7 night Bermuda sailing since they start and end in New York. It looks like Celebrity has some so I'll go to that board for more specific advice. There is another line that I don't believe that I would like. Not to offend anybody who might enjoy it but it sounds too "anything goes" for me. That's where these boards are so valuable. What is right for one person will be terribly wrong for another.

I don't need the passport for what you call a "closed loop" cruise but the passport is a lot easier to carry than a birth certificate! And it's good for 10 years.

Welcome aboard! Be Warned. The is an extremely high probability that you will become hooked on cruising. Have fun searching and booking your first but then the fun really begins as you research all the cool things to do both on the ship and ashore. Enjoy.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Yes, I've read here that cruising is hazardous to a bank account! Getting the time off from work though is a problem. I'm not a trust fund princess. A one week Bermuda cruise is a possiblity though, and would be a nice break from fall or winter weather.

I am slowly getting over my attitude that cruising is a "feeding trough on the water." (sorry!! but I'm just not that into food and that is ALL I ever hear people rave about!).

I am learning that it is a great way to see a lot of different places with the luxury of a great place to lay your head, good food and good company at night.

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker but there is so much good advice here. I'm researchng my first cruise. Unlike any other form of travel, you can't check out the next day if you don't like it! (I can swim but not that fast!)Thanks to the comments here, I applied for a US Passport. Once it arrives I can go anywhere in the world with no worries about whether or not it is the right documentation.

That is a great start. Then when you decide which cruise is right for you, and you should try one, you will be all set. I've been telling DD (24) her boyfriend should get a passport since I fully expect him to be around for the long haul. And when we did a family cruise our in-laws had to get the passports.

Kim in IL

I am so glad you are posting now and have come onboard with Cruise Critic. Congratulations on taking the first steps towards an enjoyable break and seeing the world. Yes, as suggested you can start off with small steps, I suggest traveling from familiar territory :) the Northeast (NYC/NJ) and for the fall considering a cruise to either Canada and New England or Bermuda. These cruises are usually no more than 7 days and offer convenient departure points for you. Perhaps you will try the Holland America Eurodam in the fall for Canada, or the RCI (Royal Caribbean family) Explorer or Enchantment of the Seas for Bermuda. All three of these vessels come highly recommended by me, but you'll want to hear from others. ;) All three of these vessels are mid-sized so you will not be overwhelmed and have good ratings. Whatever you choose - Enjoy!

Archived