Interesting news from St. Maarten

bowlman23

Well now, of course their government is going to downplay violence. I'm sure it's all good with Dutch military there now. When we vacationed there we were always told to leave the car windows rolled down and the car doors unlocked, so that people bent on stealing wouldn't also break the windows...

But I would say that living conditions are very hard at the moment...

They have no house and no power. What are they going to do with all of those TVs? I could excuse scavenging for food and water in a dire situation, but all of that looting kinda takes the shine off of helping them out. Let's see the Dutch and French step up and carry the load for them.

We spent a whole week on the island of St Maarten in May. The owner of the home we rented warned us of the high theft on the island. We were told to keep the doors and the gate to the house locked at all times. She also warned us to never leave anything in our vehicle because the windows could/would be broken to enter and get anything thieves could see.

It's funny this storm isn't the Armageddon that the lame stream media predicted. Jokes on the suckers watching all this garbage.

Are any of you geniuses climate scientists? Have you read any primary authorities on the issues? I highly doubt it, I personally don't have time. I'm a college professor and have terminal degrees in finance AND economics and know that the academic status quo has changed on lots of things in my career in the ivory tower. I certainly acknowledge that there is a climate change phenomenon that happens constantly, there's hard data to prove it. The fact that it is tied to fossil fuels, deforestation or whatever is beyond me. I seem to remember from American History that one of the reasons that we won the Revolutionary War was the North American Continent was going through what historians called a "mini-Ice Age." Similarly, the Italian Renaissance occurred at a time when weather was particularly good for crops. What caused these "climates" to "change" in order to effectuate these events? People weren't using electricity from coal powered plants or driving petrol consuming cars. MAYBE, just maybe it is a natural phenomenon and we shouldn't halt the march of human progress to try to fix something that isn't even an issue.

Obviously the crime is an issue, but the statement said they only had minor inconvenience so far from the storm. Sure doesn't look like that on the news.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-irma/1-200-americans-evacuated-st-maarten-amid-reports-looting-n800096

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

What a shame.

It's funny this storm isn't the Armageddon that the lame stream media predicted. Jokes on the suckers watching all this garbage.

Might want to pause from your political rant and read the news. (I understand that you probably have a highly curated set of news sources you "trust", but give it a try anyway).

No one even knows if many people on Big Pine Key are alive (heard rumors of mass casualty teams being sent in), a terrifying percentage of the state is without power, including almost all of Miami (that'll end well) and the storm is currently tracking much farther east than expected and trashing Orlando, Melbourne, Cape Canaveral, etc.

Obviously the crime is an issue, but the statement said they only had minor inconvenience so far from the storm. Sure doesn't look like that on the news.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-irma/1-200-americans-evacuated-st-maarten-amid-reports-looting-n800096

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I follow a local St Martin page on Facebook. They have suffered devestating damage. People do crazy things, so nothing would surprise me. I would also expect the government to down play things like looting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

My statements were with respect to the Florida Peninsula sorry for not being clear. The failing media made it seem like Tampa wasn't going to be there this week.

And let me be clear, I feel horrible for what has happened in the Caribbean and the Keys. Unfortunately, that has always been an issue in those locations at least according to the 20th century historical sources I've been exposed to.

Are any of you geniuses climate scientists? Have you read any primary authorities on the issues? I highly doubt it, I personally don't have time. I'm a college professor and have terminal degrees in finance AND economics and know that the academic status quo has changed on lots of things in my career in the ivory tower. I certainly acknowledge that there is a climate change phenomenon that happens constantly, there's hard data to prove it. The fact that it is tied to fossil fuels, deforestation or whatever is beyond me. I seem to remember from American History that one of the reasons that we won the Revolutionary War was the North American Continent was going through what historians called a "mini-Ice Age." Similarly, the Italian Renaissance occurred at a time when weather was particularly good for crops. What caused these "climates" to "change" in order to effectuate these events? People weren't using electricity from coal powered plants or driving petrol consuming cars. MAYBE, just maybe it is a natural phenomenon and we shouldn't halt the march of human progress to try to fix something that isn't even an issue.

Hmmm, okay..........global warming is, in fact, an Inconvenient Truth........you seem too educated to have not made the connection after seeing the evidence.........."human progress" is killing the planet. No, I'm not a climatologist, just an observant and concerned resident..............

My statements were with respect to the Florida Peninsula sorry for not being clear. The failing media made it seem like Tampa wasn't going to be there this week.

And let me be clear, I feel horrible for what has happened in the Caribbean and the Keys. Unfortunately, that has always been an issue in those locations at least according to the 20th century historical sources I've been exposed to.

So your basically logic chain so far as been:

"Lame storm waste of time"

"Unless it turns out it actually has left a chain of destruction ..."

"In which case it doesn't matter anyway because these storms always happen"

"In closing, please do not threaten the status quo for me personally with your climate change stuff. The world doesn't need glaciers anyway."

Not as bad as predicted? As someone who has literally spent 16 hours updating Irma content this weekend, I'm curious to know your basis for that statement. The U.S. Coast Guard (a "primary authority" on port conditions) forced Miami, Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Palm Beach to close. The National Hurricane Center (a "primary authority" on hurricanes) recorded winds of nearly 200 miles per hour, and the storm was a Category 5 for nearly a week. I can tell you from the reports we've gotten directly from the Caribbean Tourism Organization (a "primary authority" on Caribbean ports) that, for some of the islands hit, it's about as close to Armageddon as you can get without it actually BEING Armageddon: dozens of people dead, 95 percent of buildings damaged, 90 percent of electrical infrastructure wiped out, flooding, no potable water. I can also assure you that there is no "joke" in this situation, regardless of where you get your news. In terms of the number of devastated ports (13) and canceled/altered itineraries (more than 50), this is the worst hurricane the cruise industry has ever seen, according to Cruise Critic (a "primary authority" on the cruise industry).

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic

You lost ALL credibility with your use of "lame stream" and "libtard."

For an alleged professor, your prejudice and ignorance is astounding.

Tune on back in to Rush, Fox, and Breitbart.

Find their online forums and revel in your close-mindedness.

This is a board for people who cruise.

By the way, what have you done personally to help those who have lost everything in Texas, Florida, and the Caribbean?

Well now, of course their government is going to downplay violence. I'm sure it's all good with Dutch military there now. When we vacationed there we were always told to leave the car windows rolled down and the car doors unlocked, so that people bent on stealing wouldn't also break the windows...

But I would say that living conditions are very hard at the moment...

Yep, the good advice about car windows being open was given in Hawaii as well.

As someone who has just lived through hurricane Irma in Broward County Florida I can assure you that the media reporting was not "lame" and the devastation is no "joke". Please don't speak of things you have no knowledge of as it makes you sound like "The Nutty Professor" instead of an intelligent human being!!!