Embassy Suites (17th St) or Hilton Marina

#1Nanna

Looking to hear pros/cons about either of these Fort Lauderdale hotels. A lot of people recommend the Embassy, but I have read some reviews that say that the rooms are dated? In doing a bit of research, I like the fact that there is shopping & restaurants within walking distance to Embassy.

On the other hand, I like the fact that the water taxi stop is at the Hilton Marina. I have not read much about the Hilton Marina. Are there restaurants or any shopping nearby?

We will be staying one night pre-cruise and will not have a car. We arrive in the morning so we will have a full day.

Would love to hear any experiences or opinions of the two. Thanks!

Edited by #1Nanna

Either one will be fine for one night. Not having a car, I find the ES to have more nearby within walking distance. Room cleanliness is more important to me than room decor.

Roz

If you have been doing your reading, you would note that Embassy Suites has free breakfast and Manager's Reception. Hilton has neither, although I am not sure what amenities the Hilton might offer for a high ranking elite.

OK, for what it is worth-- we have stayed at the Embassy Suites quite a few times and, we are booked there again for this December. We have never stayed at the Hilton Marina.

It may be true that the rooms at the ES may be a bit dated but, they are clean and as previously stated, that is more important. Additionally, the lobby area of the ES was renovated about 1+ years ago and when we were there in December the woman at the front desk mentioned she heard some rumors of additional reno work but, I have not seen anything about that so, go with that being a bogus rumor.

The 2 hotels are not all that far apart. We walked to the water taxi last year (at the Hilton Marina) and if I remember correctly, it was only about 15 minute walk-- straight and flat. Personal opinion is that there are a few more shops and restaurants closer to the ES including a shopping center directly behind with a Publix Supermarket and Total Wine right there.

One thing that we like about the ES is that you are actually in a 2 room suite so you have more room to spread out if you wish. You actually have a separate spot to sit down if you want. The Manager's Reception in the evening is nice if you want a drink or two, or three and the breakfast in the morning is more than just a continental breakfast. Note that if you arrive early, most likely will not be able to access your room which means leaving bags with Bellmen (we have done this with no problem) and if you have small valuable items you don't want to carry around with you, the ES does have safe deposit boxes available at the front desk (they did not have any safes in the rooms as of December).

One last thing to note is that in case you are not aware of it, you can sometimes find very attractive pricing booking at hiltonfamilymvp dot com. You need a Hilton Hhonors number for this but they are also easily gotten online and for no charge. For our December time frame the Hilton Marina was showing $103 per night and the ES did not show any MVP prices available right now (I made our reservations quite some time ago at $108). These rates do in fact fluctuate so, you can make a reservation and, if you find it has dropped for your dates, you can call the 800 number or the hotel and ask to have rate adjusted.

I think I have babbled on enough for now. Hopefully, this information is helpful AND, I am sure you will also see more information posted from others including some very helpful local folks.

Either way, enjoy your time there

Jed

We have stayed at both. We are much more inclined to stay at the Embassy Suites pre-cruise and the Hilton Marina post-cruise.

The ES is convenient to everything. We like to have dinner at Kelly's Landing (across the street) and hit up Publix and Total Wine. Both are next door to the hotel in a plaza.

The happy hour and breakfast are both great perks. And the 2-room suites are very good sized and while a bit dark we have no real complaints.

As for the Hilton Marina it is a very nice hotel but just a bit removed from the action. We have taken the water taxi from that location and enjoyed it a lot. There are restaurants within walking distance but on a couple of occasions we have just had food from the outdoor bar and skipped walking to dinner. The pool area and marina area are both gorgeous.

I don't think you can go wrong with either hotel. It's what is important to you when choosing.:)

Jed,

Thanks for all the help & info!

I tried to look on the hiltonfamilymvp dot com but can't seem to find it. I found a lot of info about it but not the site??? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If staying at the E.S. on a Saturday do not let them put you in a room on the west side by the pool. You will not get any sleep until all the loud music stops around 1 AM, and they will do nothing about it. Breakfast is great, but the managers reception is bud beer only and pop corn ect. We prefer the Hilton Marina, much quieter, and like being on the intercoastal waterway. They are only about 4 blocks apart from each other.

Breakfast is great, but the managers reception is bud beer only and pop corn ect. We prefer the Hilton Marina, much quieter, and like being on the intercoastal waterway. They are only about 4 blocks apart from each other.

I have no love for Bud, but that is a bit deceptive. Mixed drinks and wine is also available at the Managers Reception.

Edited by CruiserBruce

One last thing to note is that in case you are not aware of it, you can sometimes find very attractive pricing booking at hiltonfamilymvp dot com. You need a Hilton Hhonors number for this but they are also easily gotten online and for no charge. For our December time frame the Hilton Marina was showing $103 per night and the ES did not show any MVP prices available right now (I made our reservations quite some time ago at $108). These rates do in fact fluctuate so, you can make a reservation and, if you find it has dropped for your dates, you can call the 800 number or the hotel and ask to have rate adjusted.

Jed

Jed - thank you SO MUCH for this information! I had booked the Embassy Suites for one night next April, at a cost of over $360. I just went through the website you shared, and the same booking has now cost $200. WOO HOO! :D

I have no love for Bud, but that is a bit deceptive. Mixed drinks and wine is also available at the Managers Reception.

They have very cheap wine and mixed drinks like in a 2 gallon glass jar. It is not like you can get the bar tender to make what you want, it is only what they have and its not much.1 type of beer in a bar is a joke, and for what they charge for a worn out room is a joke. With loud music playing on one side of the hotel till 1 am is information one might want to know. They also will not budge on the 4pm check in time.

Edited by nhraformula00

TThey also will not budge on the 4pm check in time.

Not always. They will - or did in our case - for Hilton Honors members. We arrived around 9:30 and they told us they would have a room ready by 10:30. We wandered over to Harbor Shops to window shop and get some snacks (like we hadn't eaten enough already on the cruise :p) from Publix. They will hold your luggage until your room is ready.

If your stay is during high season you do have to remember that the hotel (and many others in the 17th street area) is probably running at close 100% occupancy and the turnover on a weekend night is probably close to 100% given its popularity with cruisers. That's a lot of work to get ready for the next round of guests each morning.

. With loud music playing on one side of the hotel till 1 am is information one might want to know.

Yes, that is info people would want to know, no doubt. They would also want the facts about the Managers Reception- they serve more than beer.

We get it, you weren't happy there.

We have always enjoyed our stay at ES. We've never had to wait until 4 pm to check in. We've always enjoyed our mixed drinks at the Manager's reception, and they were never served in 2 gallon jars. :rolleyes:

To each their own.

Thanks to all that replied. I have booked at the Embassy Suites. Got a pretty good rate using lmt. $205 per night

If I may, what website is lmt? I have been watching the ES on hiltonfamilymvp dot com for several months now and have never found it cheaper than $279 for mid January -corporate/HHonors rate has never been available. :confused:

We stayed at the Marina in Feb. there was a lot of action by the Tiki Bar and we found our balcony view of the marina very nice. Food was good and free breakfast was very very good. We got the cruise package with free breakfast and shuttle to the pier. Would stay here again in a heart beat!

Embassy Suites has AAA, AARP and Senior rate of $217 for the end January. I have a room booked there at that time.

I'm looking at Jan 22 - 24 and the lowest rate is $284 for AARP and Seniors. What dates are you looking at for the $217 price?

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

OK, a couple of things to note that we may not want to accept…..

The MVP rates (I believe) are most likely capacity controlled.

I do know that they can change at least daily if not more often. There are also times when a property does not show an MVP rate available at all BUT, keep checking back because that can and does change as well.

If you find an MVP rate at a property you want, book it. My experience has been that they are fully refundable (please check this fact if/when you are making a reservation) and, more importantly, if you check back and find the rate has been decreased, before you move from that screen, call the 800 number and request that they adjust your reservation (I have also done this multiple times for a reservation) We tend to book quite some time in advance so we regularly see price changes. I have had price adjustments down 3-4 times for one reservation in the past.

Now, as far as Jan 22-24, the Embassy is in fact rather pricey BUT, the Hilton Marina is showing $199, the Gallery One DoubleTree Suites is showing $183 (there is a Water Taxi stop very close to this hotel, I believe) and the Hampton Las Olas is $189.

Also note that January would most likely be considered a high season rate.

Hopefully, this information helps or at least gives you some additional thoughts and ideas.

Jed