Do you do research before booking/traveling???

tel2

OK, this is more of a rant. I am booked on a western Med cruise on the Epic next April. Maybe I am just obsessive, but my apartment for pre-cruise is already booked, I have started my detailed spreadsheet that identifies the excursions or sites we want to do at each port; and I have programmed in my chosen travel dates to a fare watcher site so as soon as they become available I will be able to monitor flight prices from three airports near me to which we can drive. I do this for all my cruises, even when I am going to ports I've been to multiple times (actually, especially in those because I research to figure out what we haven't done before that will be interesting). Not that we end up being that regimented -- sometimes we abandon plans and do something we discover that looks more interesting. But still, I research and know what my choices are.

Now maybe I am a bit over the top, but I just was paging thru the port reviews for a number of destinations at which we will porting on our cruise, and I was completely non-plussed by the scores of rants and raves by people claiming that the cruise line was lying when they said they were stopping in Florence because much to their amazement, the ship ported more than an hour away from Florence; and the ship advertising was misleading when the brochure said there was a port call in Rome because the port was not anywhere near Rome; the itinerary said Florence/Rome so I assumed that meant the cruise line would provide me with free transportation to Florence/ Rome, etc.

Completely aside from the fact that any moron should be able to figure out from glancing at the itinerary map that neither Florence nor Rome are anywhere near the water, do people really plunk down thousands and thousands of dollars without any research at all as to where they are going? Or any research at all about the ship they are sailing on?

I read one review after another where people were complaining about things that would be perfectly obvious to anyone who spent a half hour reading about the ship they were booking, i.e., I was very disappointed that my husband and I brought our formal wear for multiple formal nights only to discover NCL does not have them; I was disappointed that the ship we were sailing on did not have water slides; I was disappointed that the ship we chose did not have an indoor pool, and on and on.

OK, I am done ranting now but I just find it truly bizarre that folks would book a very expensive vacation without spending even a minimal amount of time researching the ship or the destinations. Am I the one that is in the minority?

Terry

Edited by tel2

Not sure if this is the April cruise you are on but the itinerary is listed just like this on all cruises for that month on the Epic

CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy); Florence/Pisa (Livorno) (Italy); Cannes (France); Palma, Majorca (Spain); Barcelona (Spain); Naples (Italy); DISEMBARK Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy)

it is very easy to see that they list the Port and the main city by the port.

Not sure why anyone would be confused

Edited by pieshops

Not sure if this is the April cruise you are on but the itinerary is listed just like this on all cruises for that month on the Epic

CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy); Florence/Pisa (Livorno) (Italy); Cannes (France); Palma, Majorca (Spain); Barcelona (Spain); Naples (Italy); DISEMBARK Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy)

it is very easy to see that they list the Port and the main city by the port.

Not sure why anyone would be confused

I agree, which is what makes it so perplexing when I see these types of comments in reviews. One of the most amusing reviews was from someone who was in a Owners Suite on the Spirit and who complained about 1) the lack of formal nights; 2) that there was no set dinner time; 3) the distance from the Florence and Rome ports; 4) that she had to pay to use the spa; 5) that the kids club would not watch her 2 3/4 year old twins because "they were almost 3" Really? Did she/he read a single thing about the trip before they plunked down, what, about 10 grand?

Yes I do!!! Drives my husband crazy, as he does none. Says he likes to be "surprised".

My son-in-law doesn't do research either, but my daughter is like me. Is it a male thing? (Kind of like asking directions???)

However, I can't tell you the number of times they have saved money, saved time, saved embarrassment, or in some other way benefited from us doing the research!

OK, this is more of a rant. I am booked on a western Med cruise on the Epic next April. Maybe I am just obsessive, but my apartment for pre-cruise is already booked, I have started my detailed spreadsheet that identifies the excursions or sites we want to do at each port; and I have programmed in my chosen travel dates to a fare watcher site so as soon as they become available I will be able to monitor flight prices from three airports near me to which we can drive. I do this for all my cruises, even when I am going to ports I've been to multiple times (actually, especially in those because I research to figure out what we haven't done before that will be interesting). Not that we end up being that regimented -- sometimes we abandon plans and do something we discover that looks more interesting. But still, I research and know what my choices are.

Now maybe I am a bit over the top, but I just was paging thru the port reviews for a number of destinations at which we will porting on our cruise, and I was completely non-plussed by the scores of rants and raves by people claiming that the cruise line was lying when they said they were stopping in Florence because much to their amazement, the ship ported more than an hour away from Florence; and the ship advertising was misleading when the brochure said there was a port call in Rome because the port was not anywhere near Rome; the itinerary said Florence/Rome so I assumed that meant the cruise line would provide me with free transportation to Florence/ Rome, etc.

Completely aside from the fact that any moron should be able to figure out from glancing at the itinerary map that neither Florence nor Rome are anywhere near the water, do people really plunk down thousands and thousands of dollars without any research at all as to where they are going? Or any research at all about the ship they are sailing on?

I read one review after another where people were complaining about things that would be perfectly obvious to anyone who spent a half hour reading about the ship they were booking, i.e., I was very disappointed that my husband and I brought our formal wear for multiple formal nights only to discover NCL does not have them; I was disappointed that the ship we were sailing on did not have water slides; I was disappointed that the ship we chose did not have an indoor pool, and on and on.

OK, I am done ranting now but I just find it truly bizarre that folks would book a very expensive vacation without spending even a minimal amount of time researching the ship or the destinations. Am I the one that is in the minority?

Terry

No, you're fine tel2, know exactily what you mean.

We're the drivers and wanted to plan ahead but there are lots of work .

Some passengers are the ones that complaint especially when you go with a big group.

My brother is a non-planner, as is his wife. They go, they don't care where they are or what they do, they have no expectations, they just want to relax. I get that. But they don't then complain afterwards because they truly have no specific expectations going in. What gets me are the people who have very very specific expectations but never check to see whether their expectations are warranted before they depart....

Terry

For me.....all the pre-planning, pre-learning, about the ship as well as the ports......is just as much fun as the actual cruise.

However, that usually means there are no surprises for me.

Which, can be a very good thing!

Harriet

Terry

Terry... it's worse than that... People who arrive at Port Canaveral think Orlando is right outside the gates... Geography is a lost art. Within 10 years, there will be people who cannot read a map because they have been using GPS their entire lives... I call it the Stupocalypse.

For me.....all the pre-planning, pre-learning, about the ship as well as the ports......is just as much fun as the actual cruise.

However, that usually means there are no surprises for me.

Which, can be a very good thing!

Harriet

I agree 100 percent. But with that being said there is something to be said for getting lost certain places and finding things you never expected to, wandering down that alley and finding that restaurant that was the best food you ever ate, etc. The caribbean is a little tough to do this in as some places are not the safest but on our Europe cruise this past Christmas, we had such an awesome time getting lost

I tend to check pricing a lot, once I figure out the cruises I might take if the price ends up being where I want it. I sail the same basic itinerary (Canada/NE) all the time, but either on a different ship or a specific itinerary that includes a new-to-me port or two. I'll read up on a new port or a new ship. I only book when the price is acceptable, and don't bother looking at it again. I wouldn't dream of making entertainment or dining reservations ahead of time. Same with shore excursions. I don't use any of that stuff very often, and wouldn't sulk if I got shut out.

I agree 100 percent. But with that being said there is something to be said for getting lost certain places and finding things you never expected to, wandering down that alley and finding that restaurant that was the best food you ever ate, etc. The caribbean is a little tough to do this in as some places are not the safest but on our Europe cruise this past Christmas, we had such an awesome time getting lost

Oh, I agree....

and always remember the saying....

"the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray"

Nothing is 'written in stone!'.

Harriet

Definitely!!!

I set up a website for the cruise, including info about the ship, the ports, travel, and the roll call cruisers.

I then share the link to others going to help them plan too. Seems to also increase the roll call participation and planning shipboard or port activities together.

My current one is: Cruise.

Yes I do!!! Drives my husband crazy, as he does none. Says he likes to be "surprised".

My son-in-law doesn't do research either, but my daughter is like me. Is it a male thing? (Kind of like asking directions???)

However, I can't tell you the number of times they have saved money, saved time, saved embarrassment, or in some other way benefited from us doing the research!

Lol, you sound like me and your husband sounds like mine :D. He thought I was nuts years ago with all of my researching and planning before vacations, but after so many great trips, now he just lets me do my thing and leaves it all up to me... well almost all as I couldn't get him to swim with the dolphins in the ocean when we were in Hawaii -- who knew he was afraid of sharks!

Terry

If people are to dumb to not look at a map before booking a trip.....well, lets just say they should never procreate

I also look at the time the ship arrivals and departs to plan what type of excusions to do. I already see for my upcoming trip this year, that I going to have skip a stop or just walk/wander around because the ship gets in at 7:30am and leaves at 2:30pm - I'm not getting up that early to go to the beach even if the port is well-known for it. Luckily, I get to do that stop again next yrar (I hope) til 6pm.

No, you not the only one that researches ships and destinations - I usually look at the amenties of a ship 1st before booking it, if ship(s) are similar or lacking, then I look at the port stops/times to finalize my decision. Hey, thats alot cash to spend, I want to make sure I have the best for what I wasting for! [emoji39]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Terry

Tel2, I couldn't agree more!!!!

Before we cruise, I always know exactly which cabin I want; the location, are cabins above and below, how close to various venues on the ship, etc. We've cruised with different cruise lines, so it's even more important to know the particulars of whichever ship we choose. I thought it was only me who wonders when I read certain reviews that complain about one thing or another. I always remark to DH that some of the cruisers don't know about cruising itself, let alone what a particular cruise line offers or doesn't offer. I notice this more it seems with first time cruisers. You need to research everything before you book a cruise, that's for sure.

Right on, tel2!!!! And no, it's not a rant! While I don't have a 'spread sheet' as such, I DO research the ships activities, the ports, the dining 'style' (Freestyle has been around on NCL for a while now so it's no ones fault that they didn't know there were no formal nights!) and shore excursions. That's half the fun of planning a cruise! If you leave everything up to your travel agent, you won't know anything what's in store for you. Educating ones self before taking off across the world will result in a much smoother, worry free cruise! After all, it's supposed to be a vacation, right? I chuckled at the comment about people thinking Orlando is right near Port Canaveral. Heh, heh, heh....surprise!

Fail To Prepare, Prepare To Fail

Nah as someone who tends to be laid back and go with the flow, when it comes to holidays and spending money I like to get my money's worth and enjoy my holiday when I am there.

So at this moment in time both my partner and I are on the verge of booking our second cruise. This time with NCL. However taking you to the start we chatted about wanted to go away for my partner's birthday. So research which cruises were available as both of us wanted to cruise again. So we know where the ship is going.

Then we priced it up and went to a travel agent by looking at price quotes online on several sites. So we knew roughly how much it would be and that the figure the TA came up with wasn't just a figure plucked out of the sky. Also we know as well if the TA would be too high or beatable. Why would anyone go to a TA and accept the first price??

Not only we know what sort of cabin room we want but we also have given several cabin rooms as options for the TA to book.

If and when we book we will then look at excursions and other things connected to the cruise

Anyhoo I like to think we are as informed as humanly possible so that when we are finally on the ship we know what activities we have planned for the day and then chop and change whatever the mood takes us.

A lot happens on a cruise ship and if you don't find out beforehand you may miss out. That's why I am on this board to learn from other's experiences and be advised if I have other questions. Did the same when I went to Orlando and also Vegas.

Terry... it's worse than that... People who arrive at Port Canaveral think Orlando is right outside the gates... Geography is a lost art. Within 10 years, there will be people who cannot read a map because they have been using GPS their entire lives... I call it the Stupocalypse.

I know I am straying way off topic, but since I am the OP, bear with me.

No, it isnt just related to geography. It is the entire American education system. They no longer teach the basics. Kids have no grasp on American history, let alone world history. In many schools, they no longer require language courses. They no longer teach civics. Kids growing up do not understand how our government works, or what the electoral college is, or the difference between the senate and the house. I attended/participated in a program yesterday morning for college seniors relating to the First Amendment. They were all from an Ivy League school. When the discussion turned to Ed Snowden, I got a lot of blank faces, so I asked, how many of you know who Ed Snowden is? About 6 people out of 60 raised their hands.... That is not even "history" -- it happened two years ago when all of them were adults.....

Every time I hear the "leave no child behind" manta, I think that there are many many children who have already been left behind.....

OK. I am done ranting now.

Terry

I know I am straying way off topic, but since I am the OP, bear with me.

No, it isnt just related to geography. It is the entire American education system. They no longer teach the basics. Kids have no grasp on American history, let alone world history. In many schools, they no longer require language courses. They no longer teach civics. Kids growing up do not understand how our government works, or what the electoral college is, or the difference between the senate and the house. I attended/participated in a program yesterday morning for college seniors relating to the First Amendment. They were all from an Ivy League school. When the discussion turned to Ed Snowden, I got a lot of blank faces, so I asked, how many of you know who Ed Snowden is? About 6 people out of 60 raised their hands.... That is not even "history" -- it happened two years ago when all of them were adults.....

Every time I hear the "leave no child behind" manta, I think that there are many many children who have already been left behind.....

OK. I am done ranting now.

Terry

Terry, you hit the nail on the head with that one. So, so true. I couldn't believe that a lady I worked with (before I retired) told me that American History is now an elective at her sons school. What???? Elective? Are we the 'last' generation to know who we are and where we came from? Jus' sayin'.....

LOL! It is not a male thing. My wife leaves it all up to me, but I also enjoy it. I like looking for deals and being informed about my vacations. We are booked on the Getaway for October, but we were originally booked on RCCI Navigator of the Seas for the same week. Even after booking the Navigator I kept looking and one weekend NCL had a deal on a balcony guarantee. I actually wanted to sail this first but the price was to high. Needless to say I booked immediately and canceled the Navigator.

I still read new reviews on the check CC regular for any news and read reviews as they come out. Tonight I actually just read a recent Getaway review were the person was mad that they didn't get all the promos with booking a mini suite and that they were mad that their mini suite was almost the same as their friends regular balcony cabin. I guess most people like to stay uniformed.