How do you carry your cruise card?

caper508

I've used a wrist wallet ever since my marathon training days. It looks like a wrist band, is zippered, and can hold cruise card or hotel key card, drivers license, and a credit card or two. It also works great on beach since your plastic goes swimming with you rather than left on a chair. I like the ones made of the kind of material swimsuits are made from, with zippers rather than velcro. They are also pickpocket proof.

https://www.amazon.com/FitKicks-AMK12104312000-Wrist-Wallet/dp/B014LHX180/ref=pd_sim_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B014LHXHHK&pd_rd_r=WR77JENEP5WQ354F80N3&pd_rd_w=m8IWp&pd_rd_wg=lfEtX&refRID=WR77JENEP5WQ354F80N3&th=1&psc=1

Same here. Been to too many business trade shows, conventions, and seminars in my working life to ever want to wear a lanyard again in my retirement life. After all, I am on a cruise vacation, not at a time share sales presentation. ;p

LOL!!! My son works in the tech industry and attends conventions, seminars and trade shows on a regular basis. He calls lanyards "Geek Markers". He refuses to wear them anywhere that he isn't required to. ;)

LOL!!! My son works in the tech industry and attends conventions, seminars and trade shows on a regular basis. He calls lanyards "Geek Markers". He refuses to wear them anywhere that he isn't required to. ;)

Ah, yes, the nicknames. Where I worked, we called them "Nerd Alerts". That nickname applied to everyone but me, of course. :cool:

You need better clothes. Well, clothes more suited to cruising.

My clothes have pockets but I can't recall ever using them for anything on my cruises. Not sure why pockets would be necessary for the clothes to be suitable for cruising....and I haven't used a lanyard for at least my last 6-7 cruises. There are other options....like my key chain that posted a picture of earlier. Which, IMHO is more secure than sticking a loose key card in my pocket:rolleyes:. I understand that lanyards are not the preferred choice for everyone....I just don't get the snarky remarks aimed at those who choose to use them for their convenience.

........I understand that lanyards are not the preferred choice for everyone....I just don't get the snarky remarks aimed at those who choose to use them for their convenience.

I don't recall any snarky comments directed at anyone. Where did you read these? There have been comments that individuals wouldn't wear them, but they weren't talking about what other posters on this thread do, just what they wouldn't do themselves. If telling you what we won't do is considered "snarky", then you must have a very difficult time reading many of threads on CC!

quote=SantaFeFan: I don't recall any snarky comments directed at anyone. Where did you read these? There have been comments that individuals wouldn't wear them, but they weren't talking about what other posters on this thread do, just what they wouldn't do themselves. If telling you what we won't do is considered "snarky", then you must have a very difficult time reading many of threads on CC!

Let me point it out to you since you did not notice I quoted the comment I was referring to in my response:

OP Posted and I quote: Ahhh pockets... brilliant. My cruise clothes don't have pockets so another option would be great. Thanks all.

Mrs. Pete responded with:

IMHO this was kind of snarky so I responded (after attaching Mrs. Pete's quote):

My clothes have pockets but I can't recall ever using them for anything on my cruises. Not sure why pockets would be necessary for the clothes to be suitable for cruising....and I haven't used a lanyard for at least my last 6-7 cruises. There are other options....like my key chain that posted a picture of earlier. Which, IMHO is more secure than sticking a loose key card in my pocket:rolleyes:. I understand that lanyards are not the preferred choice for everyone....I just don't get the snarky remarks aimed at those who choose to use them for their convenience.

Apparently you do not agree that it was a snarky remark. FWIW here is another one by Stealthy that I also find to be on the snarky side : Pocket, would be caught dead with a lanyard. I travel in Yacht Club on MSC and certainly don't advertise the fact with it dangling around me neck for all to see.

Have some class people.

Neither of these posters just put out their opinion that they personally don't like lanyards and don't use them. Instead Mrs. Peter put down OP's choice in cruise wear as poor choices and Stealthy basically called those who use lanyards as classless. IMHO yes those are snarky responses to a very valid question put out by the OP. If you read it differently then so be it. Just stating my opinion.

Let me point it out to you since you did not notice I quoted the comment I was referring to in my response:

OP Posted and I quote: Ahhh pockets... brilliant. My cruise clothes don't have pockets so another option would be great. Thanks all.

IMHO this was kind of snarky so I responded (after attaching Mrs. Pete's quote):

Apparently you do not agree that it was a snarky remark. FWIW here is another one by Stealthy that I also find to be on the snarky side : Pocket, would be caught dead with a lanyard. I travel in Yacht Club on MSC and certainly don't advertise the fact with it dangling around me neck for all to see.

Have some class people.

Neither of these posters just put out their opinion that they personally don't like lanyards and don't use them. Instead Mrs. Peter put down OP's choice in cruise wear as poor choices and Stealthy basically called those who use lanyards as classless. IMHO yes those are snarky responses to a very valid question put out by the OP. If you read it differently then so be it. Just stating my opinion.

Sorry, but I don't agree. These examples are quite innocuous. If anything, they speak more of a person's personal preferences, not an attack on someone else's. Perhaps after working in a field that has often been ridiculed as a haven for "nerds" or "geeks", I am not as easily offended as you. It takes much more than a simple comment about lanyards to be offensive.

Sorry, but I don't agree. These examples are quite innocuous. If anything, they speak more of a person's personal preferences, not an attack on someone else's. Perhaps after working in a field that has often been ridiculed as a haven for "nerds" or "geeks", I am not as easily offended as you. It takes much more than a simple comment about lanyards to be offensive.

We can agree to disagree with our opinions then. Your interpretation is different than mine. Doesn't mean you are right and I am wrong or vice versa. Intent can be very hard to comprehend on a message board. FWIW I personally wasn't offended...as I stated before I use a key chain for my sail and sign card. Just thought those comments were kind of rude.

I wear a bathing suit with no pockets and a beach coverup that either doesn't have pockets or has shallow pockets not safe for carrying the card, which is why I originally asked. Additionally at night I wear a dress and I don't own any dresses with pockets...

Which is why I asked the question and have so generously received so many suggestions.

To each his own ultimately.

Happy cruising [emoji924]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my phone case :-)

My daughter carries hers in her phone case. Last cruise 3 new cards, one before that 6! Apparently the phone demagnetises the strip and she gets locked out. Where did she carry hotel door card on latest trip? In her phone case. Did she get locked out? Yep, slow learner. Lol

My daughter carries hers in her phone case. Last cruise 3 new cards, one before that 6! Apparently the phone demagnetises the strip and she gets locked out. Where did she carry hotel door card on latest trip? In her phone case. Did she get locked out? Yep, slow learner. Lol

Ha ha!!! That has never happened to me and I do it on every cruise/hotel I stay in :-)

I usually take​ a hole punch and punch a hole in the card for my wife to hook to her lanyard. I also hook a lanyard to my card but stuff it in my pocket so it's easy to retrieve.

However, on the Harmony of the Seas the card has a built-in RFID chip and an embedded antenna around the edge of the card so you can't punch a hole, so she uses a slip in clear plastic holder on her lanyard.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

quote=SantaFeFan: I don't recall any snarky comments directed at anyone. Where did you read these? There have been comments that individuals wouldn't wear them, but they weren't talking about what other posters on this thread do, just what they wouldn't do themselves. If telling you what we won't do is considered "snarky", then you must have a very difficult time reading many of threads on CC!

Have some class people.

UN-FLIPPING BELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose the "Lanyard vs. Pocket" debate needs to be revived periodically --- making it quite possibly the most deeply studied cruise topic on these threads. But for it to evolve from an on-topic conversation to an evaluation of the etiquette of discussing lanyards really gives pause for thought.

I have not been on my cruise yet, but I did just buy some of these for my kids: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBW8BVP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing they will need to carry is the card, and these if the card is waterproof, they can just swim or be in kids club and not worry. I got an extra for myself or my husband, whoever doesn't have pockets.

The original key chain I used was the Starfish one. I think I bought it at Walmart. I have used the anchor one the last couple of cruises...my DD gave it to me for Mother's Day last year. She either got it at Icing or Claires at the mall. I just took the extra hook I use to hook onto my belt loop, purse, beach bag, etc and moved it to the new key chain.

18058164_1501890929835826_7686496405880691729_n.jpg?oh=e4b4064f20af0d9a0c0e9a96d009f24b&oe=5993E3D9

Great idea!!

Do you punch a hole through your ship card or does someone from the cruise line do it for you??

UN-FLIPPING BELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose the "Lanyard vs. Pocket" debate needs to be revived periodically --- making it quite possibly the most deeply studied cruise topic on these threads. But for it to evolve from an on-topic conversation to an evaluation of the etiquette of discussing lanyards really gives pause for thought.

Clearly, some people's intolerance for "snarky" is much more hair-trigger sensitive than for others. To get so incensed over the insignificant topic of lanyard use is what could be considered "UN-FLIPPING BELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!" :evilsmile:

This is my first time trying to post a link so I hope it works. My first cruise is coming up and I got one of these beaded wrist wallets. (Hopefully, they still have the BOGO sale going on.) I do not plan on wearing it all the time but I will sometimes (dinner). I also plan on bringing a lanyard. Why not since they take no room to pack, then I have it if I want to use it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/128479307/size-large-back-to-black-black-beaded?ref=shop_home