tipping for infant

flyingandcruising

All "persons" tip....so you are expected to tip for the baby, too. Sorry! The waiters will do all they can to bring you the foods your little one can eat.....the cabin attendant will be removing the dirty diapers....they will deserve the additional tip. You will be surprised at how much "service" you get regarding your child!

All "persons" tip....so you are expected to tip for the baby, too. Sorry! The waiters will do all they can to bring you the foods your little one can eat.....the cabin attendant will be removing the dirty diapers....they will deserve the additional tip. You will be surprised at how much "service" you get regarding your child!

Thanks

I would not give a tip, at least a full one, for an infant. Looking back we fed our infant, we cleaned up after him. No staffer even served him a meal. We took care of his bedding. I don't think staff did anything particularly for our infant. Which was fine. Cruise went well.

And note from Carnival's website:

"Guests less than two years of age are not required to extend gratuities."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/~/service-gratuities-(tips)

For Norwegian it's the same.

"A service charge (currently US $ 12,95 p.p./day in the following categories: Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony & Mini Suite; US $ 14,95 p.p./day in Suites & The Haven Suites) will be payable, at your discretion (for guests 3 years and older)."

http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/faqs/#service-charge

Edited by trajan

Much of the above information is not correct(at least it wasn't a year ago when I went on a CCL cruise with an infant).

They are not charged tips though you are welcome to leave extra if you so desire.

fwiw: we did not desire and did not leave extra for our infant.

As trajan also mentioned above the cruise line did about diddly squat for my infant. We provided and cleaned his food, brought and made his bed, and cleaned up what tiny messes he did make.

Edited by Lerin

The first time we took our lo, she was barely two. Someone mentioned we could probably not have to pay since she was so close to the cutoff. Before we went, that seemed reasonable, but once there all the crew and staff were so great to her. We felt like they deserved it, but at two she was served food and drinks. Definitely different than an infant.

It is appropriate to tip.

Keith

Couple cruise lines obviously do not agree with you.

All tipping should reflect a degree of satisfaction with the service offered. Tipping by compulsion, tipping regardless of character or quality, does a disservice to everyone. Some cruise lines will automatically add gratuities for an infant, some won't. Some infants will be entirely served by their parents. Some won't. IMHO what is appropriate is to tip for the infant like you would tip for yourself. Ask the same questions (what service did I get? am I happy with the service provided? Did anyone go above and beyond?), answer for the infant and yourselves as parents, then tip appropriately.

Edited by trajan

In my opinion, babies should tip as much, if not more, than adults. Dirty diapers (!), spit up, food mess, towels, etc. I suppose if they are exclusively breast fed, the tipping could be reserved only for the cabin steward. But I count tipping as part of the cost of cruising for each of us, not something extra. I did a number of cruises before my girls were two and was always amazed how the staff went above and beyond for them.

All the best,

Mia

It probably depends upon your child. We started cruising with our son when he was two, and he accidentally dropped cereal on the floor in the cabin and made a mess at the table in the dining room, and one night dumped his milk all over our bed, so the steward had to change the sheets. We tipped the normal amount per passenger for our son, plus left additional money for the steward and waiters since they did an outstanding job and had additional work for our child. But if your infant truly isn't creating any extra work, I could understand making a different choice.

We're taking our little one on her first cruise, so I don't have any first-hand experience yet. She won't be 2 yet, but I assumed I would tip as much, if not more, than a regular passenger as she will eat the food (and likely make some messes), she will need a bed made up, she will likely have diapers the staff will have to deal with, etc. But she's not an infant. I guess it might depend on age.

I would not give a tip, at least a full one, for an infant. Looking back we fed our infant, we cleaned up after him. No staffer even served him a meal. We took care of his bedding. I don't think staff did anything particularly for our infant. Which was fine. Cruise went well.

And note from Carnival's website:

"Guests less than two years of age are not required to extend gratuities."

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/~/service-gratuities-(tips)

For Norwegian it's the same.

"A service charge (currently US $ 12,95 p.p./day in the following categories: Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony & Mini Suite; US $ 14,95 p.p./day in Suites & The Haven Suites) will be payable, at your discretion (for guests 3 years and older)."

http://www.ncl.co.uk/helpful-information/faqs/#service-charge

Much of the above information is not correct(at least it wasn't a year ago when I went on a CCL cruise with an infant).

They are not charged tips though you are welcome to leave extra if you so desire.

As trajan also mentioned above the cruise line did about diddly squat for my infant. We provided and cleaned his food, brought and made his bed, and cleaned up what tiny messes he did make.

Thanks for this, I think I will take into consideration that we should probably tip something, just maybe not fully. But we will of course consider what kind of service we get for our LO.

I just went with how things felt on our last cruise. I didn't do a general percentage tip for our little one but I left $20 when we required an extra bed change and tipped extra the night we made a messy table and other similar situations.

If I'm being honest, there were a couple of people that I didn't think deserved or earned tips at all...so I don't generalize with my tips....but am generous when earned.

NCL does not charge the service charge for children under 3. We tip extra (for ourselves and him) on a case by case basis. We almost always leave extra for our room steward, and sometimes for waiters, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And you brought your own towels and took home your dirty diapers? Well then, maybe just maybe you have a point.

we are taking a cruise with our 13 month old and plan on including him in our tips. like others have said, they have to remove his linens, towels, dirty diapers and they make a mess. so they child should be included. he makes more of a mess then the two of us do!

niki

• 2 weeks later...
we are taking a cruise with our 13 month old and plan on including him in our tips. like others have said, they have to remove his linens, towels, dirty diapers and they make a mess. so they child should be included. he makes more of a mess then the two of us do!

niki

Do you even remember when your house was clean and uncluttered!